||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (December 2012)|
|148th Field Artillery Regiment|
Coat of arms
|Branch||Idaho Army National Guard, (originally). (Oregon Army National Guard (Secondary)|
|Distinctive Unit Insignia|
|This section requires expansion. (May 2011)|
The 148th Field Artillery was organized on 29 September 1917 by General Order 2, Headquarters 41st Division, trained at Camp Greene, North Carolina, Camp Mills, New York, and Camp Merritt, New Jersey. The regiment sailed from New York to France on 23 January 1918, equipped with French 155mm howitzers, tractor drawn. The 148th Field Artillery was composed of elements of the 3rd Regiment Wyoming National Guard, the 1st Separate Battalion, Colorado Field Artillery, and 1st Separate Troop, Oregon Cavalry. The regiment was organized as a part of the 66th Field Artillery Brigade, 41st Infantry Division (United States). elements of the 66th Field Artillery Brigade saw some action, and the 148th Field Artillery, armed with French 155mm howitzers, participated in the Champagne-Marne Defensive, Aisne-Marne Offensive, St. Mihiel Offensive, Meuse-Argonne Offensive, and served in the Army of Occupation in Germany.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (May 2011)|
Parent unit constituted 19 June 1877 as the 1st Regiment, Idaho Volunteer Militia, Territory of Idaho.
Elements in the northern territory (Lewiston and Mt. Idaho companies) withdrawn and with the addition of existing independent companies and new companies, organized 17 September 1877 as the 2nd regiment Idaho Volunteer Militia.
1st and 2nd Regiments reconstituted and reorganized 1889-1891 in the Idaho National Guard as the 1st Regiment to include old and new companies over the state (Companies A - F organized or reorganized 1889-1890 in the southern area; Companies G - L organized or reorganized 1891 in the northern area)
1st Infantry Regiment mustered into Federal service 7–18 May 1898 at Boise as the 1st Idaho Volunteer Infantry. Mustered out 25 September 1899 at the Presidio of San Francisco, California.
Mustered into Federal service 3–6 July at Boise Barracks for Mexican Border duty. Mustered out and reverted to state control 26 January 1917.
Regiment broken up, reorganized and redesignated as elements of the 41st Infantry Division as follows:
Elements demobilized in 1919 as follows:
Northern elements organized in the Idaho National Guard as 1st Battalion 148th Field Artillery and Federally recognized 15 March 1926 with Headquarters at Coeur d'Alene assigned to the 41st Infantry Division 3 January 1930.
1st Battalion reorganized and redesignated as the 148th Field Artillery Battalion and assigned to 41st Infantry Division, 17 July 1942 Inactivated 17 January 1946 in Japan. (205th Field Artillery Battalion consolidated with 148th Field Artillery battalion 3 July 1946)
Ordered into active Federal service 1 May 1951 at Coeur d'Alene (148th Field Artillery Battalion (NGUS) organized and Federally recognized 3 August 1953 with headquarters at Lewiston) Released from active Federal service and reverted to state control, 18 March 1955; concurrently, Federal recognition withdrawn from 148th Field Artillery Battaloin (NGUS) Reorganized and redesignated 15 March 1956 as the 148th Armored Field Artillery Battalion.
In 1991, C Btry was withdrawn from Oregon and B Btry was assigned to Utah until with drawn in 2006. It is now entirely housed inside the state of Idaho.
A Gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/16 inches (2.70 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Azure, on a bend Gules fimbriated Or between a scorpion bendwise and a palm tree on a mount five fleurs-de-lis, all of the like. Attached below the shield a Gold scroll inscribed “WHENEVER WHEREVER” in Red.
The shield is blue to recognize the organization’s 1898 Infantry heritage. The palm tree symbolizes the service as Infantry in the Philippines and the scorpion the service as Infantry on the Mexican border. The five fleurs-de-lis on the red bend represent the five engagements as Field Artillery in France during World War I.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 148th Field Artillery Regiment, Washington and Idaho National Guard on 20 May 1929. It was redesignated for the 148th Field Artillery Battalion on 2 March 1943. It was redesignated for the 148th Artillery Regiment, Idaho National Guard on 29 July 1960. The insignia was redesignated effective 1 September 1989, for the 148th Field Artillery Regiment, Oregon and Idaho Army National Guard and amended to revise the description and symbolism.
Here you can share your comments or contribute with more information, content, resources or links about this topic.