Agounit (also transliterated Aghounit, Aghoueinit, Agueinit, Agwenit, Agwanit, Agüenit, Aguanit; Arabic: أغوانيت) is a small town or village in the Río de Oro area of Western Sahara. It is to the east of the Moroccan Wall, thus included in the POLISARIO-held Free Zone of Western Sahara, under the jurisdiction of the Sahrawi Republic, and near the Mauritanian border, 72 km. south-west from Fderik. It has a hospital, a school and a mosque. It is the head of the 7th military region of the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic.
It is also the name of a daïra of the Wilaya of Auserd, in the Sahrawi refugee camps.
On June 7, 2006, and during the celebrations of the 30th anniversary of the "Day of the Martyr" (commemorating the death in combat of El-Ouali Mustapha Sayed, first president of the SADR), Mohamed Abdelaziz (president of the SADR) inaugurated a hospital (built up with help from the Basque country government), a desalination centre (built with the help of Andalusia government), a school and the Mayoralty of Agwenit.
In May 2000, the Polisario Front celebrated the 27th anniversary of the beginning of their armed struggle with a military parade in Agounit.
In June 2006 (during the celebrations of the 30th anniversary of the "Day of the Martyr") the town was the host of the annual conference of the Sahrawi communities abroad (Sahrawi diaspora).
Twin towns and sister cities
Agounit is twinned with:
- Amurrio, Álava, Basque Country, Spain
- Busturia, Biscay, Basque Country, Spain
- Campiglia Marittima, Livorno, Tuscany, Italy
- Gatika, Biscay, Basque Country, Spain
- Lapuebla de Labarca, Álava, Basque Country, Spain
- Mallabia, Biscay, Basque Country, Spain
- Motril, Granada, Andalucía, Spain
- Poggio a Caiano, Prato, Tuscany, Italy
- Ponsacco, Pisa, Tuscany, Italy
- Portoferraio, Livorno, Tuscany, Italy (since November 8, 2004)
- Puçol, Valencia, Comunidad Valenciana, Spain (since September 1, 2002)
- Quarrata, Pistoia, Tuscany, Italy
- Rignano sull'Arno, Florence, Tuscany, Italy
- Tres Cantos, Madrid, Spain (since 1995)