|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012)|
|Aligarh Muslim University|
The seal of the Aligarh Muslim University
|Motto||Arabic: عَلَّمَ الاِنْسَانَ مَا لَمْ يَعْلَم
'allama'l-insāna mā lam ya'lam
|Motto in English||Taught man what he did not know (Qur'an 96:5)|
|Established||1875 (as MAO College)
1920 (as AMU)
|Vice-Chancellor||Lt. General Zameerud-din Shah|
|Location||Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Campus||Urban 467.6 hectares (1,155 acres)|
|Affiliations||UGC, NAAC, AIU|
Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) (Urdu: علی گڑھ مسلم یونیورسٹی) is a public university, funded by the central government of India is among the oldest central universities in India. It was established by Syed Ahmad Khan as Mohammedan Anglo-Oriental College. The Mohammedan Anglo-Oriental College became Aligarh Muslim University in 1920. The main campus of AMU is located in the city of Aligarh. Spread over 467.6 hectares in the city of Aligarh, AMU offers more than 300 courses in the traditional and modern branches of education. The University has consistently ranked among the best educational institutions in India. According to Times Higher Education, Asia Ranking 2014, AMU ranks 3rd among Universities in India. The university is open to all irrespective of caste, creed, religion or gender.
It was established as Madrasatul Uloom Musalmanan-e-Hind in 1875–78, The Anglo–Indian statesman Syed Ahmad Khan founded the predecessor of AMU, Muhammadan Anglo Oriental College, in 1877 having already established two schools. He considered competence in English and "Western sciences" necessary skills for maintaining Muslims' political influence, especially in Northern India. Khan's image for the college was based on his visit to Oxford and Cambridge and he wanted to establish an education system similar to the British model. Aga Khan III also played a major role in realizing the idea of Sir Syed Ahmed Khan by collecting funds for building the Aligarh Muslim University In the beginning the college was affiliated with the University of Calcutta but became an affiliate of Allahabad University in 1885. Around 1900 efforts began to make the college its own university. Its range of courses was expanded and a girls school was added in 1907 before it became the Aligarh Muslim University in 1920. The university was designed to train Muslims for government service in India and prepare them for advanced training in British universities.
The first chancellor of the university was Sultan Shah Jahan Begum. In 1927, a school for the blind was established and, the following year, a medical school was attached to the university. By the end of the 1930s, the university had developed an Engineering faculty. Syed Zafarul Hasan, joined the Aligarh Muslim University in early 1900s as head of Philosophy Department, dean Faculty of Arts. He was a pro-vice chancellor before his retirement.
Before 1939, faculty and students supported an all-India nationalist movement. After 1939, political sentiment shifted toward support for a Muslim separatist movement. University Students and faculty mobilised behind Muhammad Ali Jinnah and the University hence became an epicenter of Pakistan Movement.
The college occupies over 467.6 hectares (1,155 acres) in Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh,
Aligarh Muslim University draws students from all corners of the country as well as foreign countries, especially Africa, West Asia and Southeast Asia. In some courses, seats are reserved for students from SAARC and Commonwealth Countries.
The University has 12 Faculties viz. Agricultural Sciences, Arts, Commerce, Engineering & Technology, Law, Life Sciences, Medicine, Management Studies & Research, Science, Social Sciences, Theology, Unani Medicine, each comprising of several Departments of Studies.
The University also maintains a number of Colleges, Institutes, Centres and Schools. Notably among them are Women's College, Centre of Professional Courses, Interdisciplinary Biotechnology Unit, Zakir Hussain College of Engineering & Technology, Ajmal Khan Tibbiya College, Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Dr. Ziauddin Ahmad Dental College, Institute of Ophthalmology, Centre for Advanced Studies in History, Centre for Women Studies, Centre for Nehru Studies, University Polytechnic University, Women's Polytechnic, There are also 11 schools functioning in the campus including one for the visually challenged.
Faculty of Engineering & Technology:
The Faculty of Engineering & Technology has three main constituents:
The Faculty offers B.Tech, M.Tech and Ph.D. programme in various branches of Engineering & Applied Sciences. The medium of instruction in the Institution is English. In addition, the Faculty also offers a 4 Year B.E.(Evening) Degree Course in Civil, Electrical & Mechanical Engineering to Diploma holders and a 5 Years Degree Course of B.Arch.
Faculty of Management:
The genesis of the Faculty of Management Studies and Research goes back to the Department of Economics from where a separate Department of Commerce was created in 1944 which developed into the Faculty of Commerce. The Department of Business Administration was created in 1972 as a part of Faculty of Commerce.
A separate Faculty of Management Studies & Research was created in March 1996 to cater to the growing academic needs of the students of management studies. At present there is only one department of study under this Faculty. The faculty plans to expand and establish five more departments.The Faculty runs the PhD programme in collaboration with the All India Management Association, New Delhi.
Faculty of Medicine:
The Faculty of Medicine has two Colleges:
Both these colleges have attached hospitals.
Faculty offers the various undergraduate/postgraduate courses a well as PhD courses
Faculty of Law:
The Department of Law is one of the oldest Department in India. The teaching of Law in AMU was introduced in the year 1883.In 1960, the Department of Law came into being into a full-fledged Faculty. Faculty of Law has produced many legal icons who have rendered their services to many reputed Law Faculties in India including the Supreme Court Judges such as Mr. Justice Baharul Islam, Mr. Justice Murtaza Fazle Ali, Mr. Justice R. P. Sethi.The law faculty of university is considered among the best in India.
In 2012, the university was ranked 5th by India Today. In 2013, the University ranked 9th in the top 10 higher education institutions in India by Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
The vice-chancellors of Aligarh Muslim University are:
Alumni of the university are popularly known as Aligarians (the more generic Aligarhiya is used to refer to inhabitants of Aligarh who have not studied at AMU.)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aligarh Muslim University.|