|Born||December 21, 1844
Martock, Somerset, England
|Died||November 21, 1917 (aged 72)
Nelson, British Columbia
|Institutions||Colorado School of Mines|
|Alma mater||The Queen's College, Oxford|
Arthur Lakes (December 21, 1844 – November 21, 1917) was a notable geologist, artist, writer, teacher and minister. He captured much of his geological and palaeontological field work in sketches and watercolours. Lakes is credited with successfully deciphering much of the geology of Colorado and, as an economic geologist, guiding mineral exploration which was so important to the State.
He was a part-time professor at what later became the Colorado School of Mines. Having sent a fossilized vertebra specimen (from the Morrison Formation of Dakota, US) to Othniel Charles Marsh, in 1877, he was then employed by Marsh to seek other discoveries, in the so-called Bone Wars. He went on to unearth fossilized remains of Stegosaurus, Apatosaurus, Camptosaurus and Allosaurus.
Although he was employed by Marsh, Lakes was visited by Marsh's Bone Wars opponent Edward Drinker Cope, while working at Como Bluff. Although it was the last thing he intended, Lakes was the cause of increased animosity between Cope and Marsh, by co-operating with both. Lakes made the original discovery of the fossils in the formation of the Dinosaur Ridge near Morrison, Colorado. Lakes also drilled several test oil wells in the Golden and Morrison area, however they were not successful producing wells.
During this time, he also worked as a teacher at what is now the Colorado School of Mines and as a clergyman. When he retired from fossil hunting, he went on to work for the U.S. Geological Survey. He edited a succession of geological and mining journals. His byline appears on over 800 newspaper and journal articles. Lakes and his two well-educated sons eventually went into business as mining engineers, relocating from Colorado to Ymir, British Columbia, in 1912. Arthur Lakes died there in 1917, still "tanned from the outdoors life he led."   
Lakes was inducted into the National Mining Hall of Fame in Leadville, Colorado, in September 2010.