|Type of site
||Online men's publication
|| 1,751 (February 2013 )
AskMen is a free online men’s web portal, with international versions in Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States. It is owned by Ziff Davis and operates through the IGN Entertainment unit.
AskMen was founded in August 1999 created by Ricardo Poupada, Christopher Bellerose Rovny and Luís Rodrigues, all three graduates of Concordia University's John Molson School of Business in Montreal. The company secured $500,000 in venture capital in 2000 while its main competitor, TheMan.com, obtained $17 million in financing from Highland Capital. In November 2000, TheMan.com shut down operations, providing an opportunity for AskMen to become the largest men's lifestyle website online. By 2001, AskMen surpassed the other websites in its category to become the largest men's lifestyle website.
Through a combination of partnerships with AOL and MSN, AskMen.com was able in the men's lifestyle space.
In 2010 the site ranked #819 for world-wide traffic on Alexa. In December 2009, the site had an estimated 12 million unique visitors.
According to Hitwise, AskMen is ranked No. 1 (as of 06/11/2005) in the "Lifestyle – Men’s Sites" category, as it has over 40,000 articles available for free online.
AskMen launched a three-book series published by HarperCollins in May 2007, starting with their first book titled From the Bar to the Bedroom.
- ^ "Askmen.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2013-02-02.
- ^ Stefanie Olsen (2000-11-01). "Latest dot-com bomb: TheMan.com". CNET News.com. Retrieved 2006-09-03.
- ^ "One-year-old AskMen Surpasses Maxim & GQ and Remains Profitable". PRNewswire. 2001-06-04. Retrieved 2006-09-03.
- ^ "AskMen Site Info". Alexa.com. 2010-02-16. Retrieved 2010-11-12.
- ^ "CBC News - Technology & Science - AskMen.com: a decade of manliness". Cbc.ca. 2009-12-15. Retrieved 2010-11-12.
- ^ "Category Spotlight: Lifestyle - Men's Interest". Hitwise.
- ^ Bassil, James (2007), AskMen.com Presents From the Bar to the Bedroom: The 11 Rules for Picking Up and Pleasuring Women, HarperCollins, ISBN 9780061208522
- Bassil, James (2007), Askmen Presents the Style Bible: The 11 Rules for Building a Complete and Timeless Wardrobe, Collins, ISBN 9780061208508
- Bassil, James (2008), Askmen Presents the Guy's Guide to Romance: The 11 Rules for Finding a Woman & Making Her Happy, HarperCollins, ISBN 9780061242861