Coordinates: 50°13′38″N 2°38′43″E / 50.2272°N 2.6453°E
Basseux is a commune in the Pas-de-Calais department in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region in northern France.
A small farming village located 8 miles (12 km) southwest of Arras on the D1 road, which follows the route of a Roman road. The small river Crinchon flows by the commune.
- Mentioned in the 7th century for the first time, as ‘Batsalis’ and later as Batseus (1154) and Basceu in 1277.
- In 1711, the troops of the Marquis de Hautefort, Lieutenant General of the armies of Louis XIV, pillaged the town at the time of the War of Spanish Succession (1700–1713).
- Between 1788-1789, a presbytery was built and the village has 217 inhabitants.
- On April the 8th 1834, half the village was burnt down. An inscription on the gate of the church recalls the incident:
"On the 8th April 1834, 17 houses of this village were burned down. They were all rebuilt in the same year by the kindness of King Louis-Philippe of France and the help of the government and the département together with donations from many generous people. This stone was placed by the inhabitants of Basseux in recognition of their benefactors".
- On 1 January 1871, a skirmish took place between French Dragoons and Prussian Uhlans.
- The war cemetery.
- The church of Notre-Dame, dating from the twelfth century.
See also 
External links