|City of Bislig
Dakbayan sa Bislig
Lungsod ng Bislig
|— Component city —|
|Nickname(s): The Booming City by the Bay|
|Surigao del Sur showing the location of Bislig City|
|Region||CARAGA (Region XIII)|
|Province||Surigao del Sur|
|Districts||2nd district of Surigao del Sur|
|Incorporated (city)||18 September 2000|
|• Mayor||Librado Navarro|
|• Vice Mayor||Jonas Cacayan|
|• Total||488.86 km2 (188.75 sq mi)|
|Elevation||25 m (82 ft)|
|• Density||230/km2 ( 590/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Area code(s)||(+63) 8622|
|Income class||3rd class|
Bislig City is a 3rd class city in the province of Surigao del Sur, Mindanao, Philippines. Bislig is approximately 208 kilometers northeast of Davao City, 152 kilometers south of Tandag City (the provincial capital) and 158 southeast of Butuan City. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 111,133 people in 20,402 households.
Barangay Mangagoy, the downtown area often dubbed as "the little city within the city", is the center of trade and industry of Bislig which has a population of 50,000. It is the largest barangay in the city and happens to be arguably the largest barangay in the entire Philippines in terms of land area. It houses national and local banks. Telecommunication such as Internet, cellular phones, cable televisions and leased data lines are well-available in the vicinity of Mangagoy. There are also accommodating inns and hotels, as well as motorized tricycles, jeepneys, and buses ply its concrete roads and highways.
Bislig was the home of the defunct company PICOP Resources, Inc., which happened to be the largest paper mill in Asia and one of the largest in the world. Its concession is a sanctuary of the Philippine Eagle. The permanent shutdown was officially ruled on mid-2008.
In 2000, Bislig was converted into a city per Republic Act 8804. It is the easternmost city in the Philippines in terms of geographical location.
Bislig has a rich recorded past, dating back to the dawn of civilization in this part of Mindanao. It has had its rich, turbulent and bloody episodes, but dynamic transition has led to its present social, economic, physical and political structure.
The legendary allusions as to how Bislig got its name date back to the era prior to the coming of the Spanish conquistadors. The town got its name from a forest vine of the rattan family that grew in abundance along the banks of its rivers. This vine was noted for its strength and became known for saving a royal couple who crossed the swollen river in one of their hunting expeditions and who almost died as they were carried downstream by the rushing current. The legend has it that these hunters had already lost hope of surviving until they were able to cling to a vine which was about 1/4 inch in diameter called Bislig. As a sign of thanksgiving, the ruler named this place Bislig.
Historically, Bislig derived its name from the word “bizlin”, a kind of gold, “which is worth two pesos a tael. The weight of a tael is one and one-eight ounces” in the 16th century, which the natives used for trade and barter. Prior to the coming of Spaniards, this terminology was understood in Luzon and in Mindanao. In the report of the Administrator of Royal Properties Andres Mirandaola dated 8 September 1573 sent to King Philip of Spain that “much gold found in the island of Mindanao, District of Butuan, Surigao …” It is believed that this kind of gold found in the rolling hills and mountains of the southernmost portion of Bislig and Agusan Province.
However, historical records shows that the name has been variously spelled by the Spanish chroniclers. Conquistador Miguel de Loarca, in his extreme exploratory survey trip of the archipelago, first mentioned and spelled it "Beslin" in his historical accounts “Relacion de los Yslas Filipinas” in 1582, as well as in the Confirmaciones de Encomienda (1616–1700) which Bislig was under the encomienda of Alferez Juan delas Marianas in 1619. In the “Historia general de los religiosos descalzos del orden de San Agustin” of Fray Andres de San Nicolas in 1664 spelled it "Bislin" and also in the “Historia general… del Orden de San Agustin” of Fray Luis de Jesus in 1681. A Franciscan writer, Fray Juan de San Francisco de San Antonio spelled it "Baslig" in his “Cronicas” in 1738. Other Spanish chroniclers spelled it "Bislic" and "Bisliq".
In the first detailed map of the Philippines in 1749, published in “Historia de la Provincia de Filipinas” by a Jesuit, Father Pedro Murillo Velarde spelled it Bislig, as did in the “Historia General …” of Fray Pedro San Francisco de Assis in 1768 and in the “Mapa dela Provincia de Caraga” by Francisco Alegre in 1751. A complete statistical data of District of Caraga compiled in 1750 spelled as "Bislig", and also in the document titled “Provincia de San Nicolas de Tolentino de Agustinos descalzos dela Congregacion de España y Indias” in 1879.
From the time on, it is known and spelled as Bislig.
The first inhabitants of Bislig were believed to have come from the Agusan Valley in the hinterlands of Mindanao beyond the Magdiwata Mountains. These people used spears, bows and arrows and lived a semi-nomadic life and were called Manobos.
They were ruled during the later part of the seventeenth century by a native leader called "Bagani", meaning a formidable leader. They were very brave, tough and war-like. They also introduced edible crops such as rice, corn and rootcrops to the area.
At the turn of the century, Spanish Colonizers and Missionaries imposed the rule of Spain and brought with them Tagalogs, Ilonggos, and Visayans from the North as members of their expeditionary forces.
Long before it became a town on 1 January 1921 per Executive Order No. 62 issued by Governor General Francis Burton Harrison on 28 December 1920 with Primitivo A. Castillo as its first Municipal President, Vice-President: Sulpicio P. Laurente & Councilors: Ciriaco Alba; Bartolome Alvar; Higino Basañez; Escolastico Carmen; Tomas Masancay; Basilio Dua; Macario Tenchavez. Bislig was already an established political instrumentality or "pueblo" in the Province of Surigao (now Surigao del Sur and Surigao del Norte). Earlier, the province was a part of an even bigger territory stretching from Northeastern Mindanao down to the island's Southeastern "pueblo" of Caraga and Man-ay in Davao Oriental. Caraga was originally the seat of political, military and religious authority.
Since then efforts were made to improve and develop Bislig until the advent of Citihood campaign in 1999 and by virtue of Republic Act No. 8804 Bislig was converted into a component city duly ratified and approved in a plebiscite conducted in 18 September 2000.
Type II Climate characterized by no dry season and with a very pronounced maximum rainfall from November to January. The City enjoys steady weather condition being outside the typhoon belt.
Bislig's main tourist attraction is the Tinuy-an Falls, known as the "Niagara Falls" of the Philippines. It is a white water curtain that flows in three levels about 55 meters high. Its critically acclaimed majestic and unique natural formation was once appeared in the International Travel Magazine. It is also known as the widest waterfalls in the Philippines.
Other known tourist attractions include the white-sand beaches of Hagonoy Island; the Lawigan Beach which faces and considered a part of the Pacific Ocean; the underground river of the educational Delot and Hinayagan Cave; the Togonan Cold Spring which is a 30-minute ride a far from the city proper; the wild sanctuary of the Forester's Park; the wide range waters of the Mone River or the man-made Lake 77 which offers a boat ride tour and a floating cottage for picnic and fishing; the Kamayo Heritage Park; the Florland Highland Resort at Brgy. San Vicente; the Ocean View Park; International Doll House; and the City Baywalk Park.
Bislig hosts the annual festival called "The Karawasan Festival" during the charter day of the city which features an inter-school ethnic dance competition. Karawasan came from a local dialect which means "movement of the crabs". Karawasan is held every 17th day of September.
Currently, the city is developing a sea port at Barangay Lawigan and Caramcam District in Barangay Mangagoy for the increasing demand of people travelling to other provinces. The concrete runway of the commercial airport can accommodate light commercial planes of the Fokker 50 class, though most of the time the airport is only used for the occasional private plane.
List of some notable or known infrastructures in the city:
Bislig City's cable and TV satellite providers are:
While the city's Internet Service Providers are:
It has also five local FM radio stations and one AM station:
Bislig City is politically subdivided into 24 barangays.
Here you can share your comments or contribute with more information, content, resources or links about this topic.