|Mentioned||1147 (Hypatian Codex)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Area code(s)||+375 02344|
|Website||Брагинский районный исполнительный комитет (Russian) — Brahin Rajon Executive Committee.|
Brahin (Belarusian: Брагін) is a town in Belarus and an administrative center of Brahin Rajon. It stands on the banks of Braginka river, 28 km from the nearest railway (Chojniki station), and has a population of 3,700.
The settlement is first mentioned in the Hypatian Codex in 1147 as the important town of the Kiyv princedom. A significant part of Brahin's population traditionally was of Jewish descent. By the end of 19th century, 2254 of 4311 inhabitants were Jewish. Many Jews in the area were killed by the German forces during World War II:
On September 13, 1941, the Jews of Bragin were ordered to gather in a school for the purposes of selecting a monitor and his deputy, but when 300 Jews came at the indicated time the school they were surrounded by Germans and closed. After that, Jews were led out in groups to the edge of the village and shot.
As a result of the Chernobyl disaster, areas of the Brahin district was radioactively contaminated. 52 settlements were resettled, 9 of which are buried. From Brahin itself 1,651 families (4,892 people) were resettled.
Media related to Brahin at Wikimedia Commons
|This Belarus location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|