Lungsod ng Kalamba
|— Component City —|
|City of Calamba|
|Nickname(s): Resort Capital of the Philippines|
|Motto: Premier City of Growth, of Leisure and of National Pride|
|Region||CALABARZON (Region IV-A)|
|District||2nd District of Laguna|
|Incorporated||August 28, 1742 (town)|
|Incorporated||April 21, 2001 (city)|
|• Mayor||Justin Marc S.B. Chipeco (2013-present)
|• Vice Mayor||Roseller H. Rizal (2013-present)
|• Total||149.50 km2 (57.72 sq mi)|
|• Density||2,600/km2 ( 6,700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
4028 - Canlubang
4029 - Camp Vicente Lim (Mayapa)
|Income Class||1st Class|
Calamba (NSCB: 043405000), officially known as City of Calamba is a component city located in Laguna, Philippines. It is the regional center of the CALABARZON region. Situated 54 kilometres (34 mi) south of Manila, the city is known as the Resort Capital of the Philippines. The city is a tourist destination with its hot spring resorts, most of which are located in Barangay Pansol and Barangay Bucal.
According to the latest census, the city has a population of 389,377, making it the largest local government unit in Laguna. It is also the 4th densest city in the province with more than 2,600 people per square kilometer after Biñan, Cabuyao and Santa Rosa.
The name of the city comes from a legend that during the early time of the Spanish period in the country, two "guardias civil" or soldiers were lost and passing through what is now Calamba. The soldiers met a young lady who came from a river carrying a jar of water and a wooden stove. The soldiers unwittingly in Spanish language and in authoritative tone, to conceal the fact that they were lost, asked the local maiden the name of the place they were in. The lady, who speaks only her native language, naturally thought she was being interrogated about what she was carrying and nervously uttered "kalan-banga", meaning "clay stove" (kalan) and "water jar" (banga). Because the Spaniards could not pronounce it properly, the town has been called Calamba supposedly since then. This legend is immortalized with a large concrete water jar erected in the city plaza with the names of the city's barangays written on its surface. It is considered the "World's Biggest Claypot". This same jar is also found in the city's seal. The plaza was proposed by Dr. Agapito Alzona, then the town councilor to utilize the waste area where the old town market relocated from. The resolution was approved by the then town mayor Roman Lazaro and added additional P5,000 for the fence to the original P15,000 construction cost. It was completed in 1939.
The oldest part of Calamba is believed to be Barangay Sucol where its first settlers remained. With the arrival of Spaniards, the whole area was converted into a hacienda, then a part of Tabuco (now known as Cabuyao City). Calamba became an independent pueblo on August 28, 1742, and formed into the town of Calamba in 1770. In 1813, Calamba was placed in the hands of “encargados” by the Dominican Brothers, who divided into portions and sold the haciendas to the natives during the American regime.
During the Japanese occupation in World War II, the city was the theater of a massacre during which the Imperial Japanese Army killed at least 2,000 civilians. The St. John the Baptist Church, established in 1859, was burned by the Japanese during World War II. It was reconstructed by Fr. Eliseo Dimaculangan. It was the christening site of José Rizal. The original baptismal font has been preserved and refurbished.
After a process of more than seven years, Calamba became the second component city of the Laguna by virtue of Republic Act No. 9024, “An Act Converting the Municipality of Calamba, Province of Laguna into a Component City to be known as the City of Calamba.” R.A. 9024 was signed into law by President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo on March 5, 2001, at the Malacañan Palace. The Commission on Elections (COMELEC) then set the plebiscite for Calamba’s cityhood on April 21, 2001 where 15,056 residents participated. 3,413 or 22.67% voted “No” while the remaining 77.33% voted “Yes” to Calamba’s conversion into a component city.
Calamba lies on the northern slopes of Mount Makiling, a dormant volcano. The southern terminus of the South Luzon Expressway is in Calamba and this geographic position makes the city a gateway to the southern provinces of Luzon. The highway at the end of the South Luzon Expressway leads east to the other towns of Laguna and south towards the provinces of Batangas and Quezon.
Calamba City is bordered by Cabuyao City to the north, Los Baños to the east, by the province of Batangas to the south, specifically the municipalities of Santo Tomas, Tanauan City and Talisay, and by the province of Cavite to the west, with Tagaytay City and Silang. Laguna de Bay the country's largest lake, forms the city's northwest border. The provincial capital, Santa Cruz, is located 45 kilometres (28 mi) by road to the east.
Calamba covers a total land area of 14,950 hectares (36,900 acres), making it is the 2nd largest city in Laguna province in terms of land area after San Pablo City.
Calamba City is politically subdivided into 57 barangays, though 2 are unofficial and 1 is actually part of the largest barangay in the city.
(Majada Loob-adjacent to Majada Labas, map not updated)
Note: Barangays with * is part of Poblacion
Barangay Canlubang is the biggest barangay in population and by land area in the city. It is composed of several sitios, some of the sitios that can be found are: Happy Valley, Asia I, Asia II, Buntog,Matang-Tubig,Balagbag-Araw,Bangyas, Mangumit, Ceris I, Manfil, Palao, MCDC, Kapayapaan, Locomotive etc. It is part of Canlubang, an area of western Laguna which spans also of Biñan City, Santa Rosa City, and Cabuyao City where industrialization is taking its toll. It is the only barangay in Laguna that hosts a patron saint for itself, St. Joseph the Worker, while the neighboring barangays are under the jurisdiction of Mary Help of Christians parish located at Brgy. Mayapa. Canlubang is also the site of many industrial parks, notably the Carmelray Industrial Parks I and II.
|Population census of Calamba City|
According to the 2010 census, Calamba has a population of 389,377 inhabitants, making it the most populated town in Laguna province, followed by San Pedro, Santa Rosa City, Biñan City, and San Pablo City. Calamba City is the 24th most populated city in the Philippines.
Calamba City is known today as the "Richest City in CALABARZON" as it registered a total income of 1,952,122,303. Calamba City is also the 15th richest city in the Philippines.
There are many manufacturing and economic plants located in the city, especially in the Crossing area in Barangay Uno, and Barangays Real and Parian. Manufacturing plants are located in other locations in the city such as Allegis IT Park (Brgy. Tulo); Calamba Premiere International Park (Brgy. Batino, Barandal and Prinza); Carmelray Industrial Park I (Canlubang); Carmelray Industrial Park II (Brgy. Punta & Tulo); Carmelray International Business Park (Canlubang); Filinvest Technology Park (Brgy. Punta, Burol & Bubuyan); Light Industry and Science Park II (Brgy. Real & La Mesa); Light Industry and Science Park (Brgy.Real & La Mesa); and YTMI Realty Special Economic Zone (Brgy. Makiling).
Notable shopping centers in Calamba include SM City Calamba, Liana's Discount Center Calamba, Walter Mart Calamba, Walter Mart Makiling, SM Savemore, Puregold Halang, Puregold Calamba Crossing and iMall Canlubang among others.
The 2013 local elections in Calamba City, held on May 13, 2013, replaced some members of the city government, including the mayor, vice-mayor and some members of the council.
Calamba City has a golden edge etched at the upper half with the words Lungsod ng Calamba depicting Calamba City as a Philippine component city. Laguna at the bottom part means that Calamba City is still part of Laguna province. The year 1742 mentions the year when Calamba was founded and seceded from the town of Cabuyao, while 2001 was identified as the year of Calamba's cityhood.
The inner part of the seal shows a golden jar with the face of Dr. Jose Rizal, the city's prominent figure and the national hero. Beneath the jar is Mount Makiling, a dominant mountain near the city that can be seen anywhere in Calamba. At the left part of Makiling shows palm trees symbolizing nature, while at right shows buildings symbolizing Calamba City's rapid modernization, urbanization, and industrialization. With both signs located beside each other, it shows everyone that nature and progress can efficiently coexist in Calamba City. Lastly, the water beneath Mt. Makiling shows that Calamba City touches a body of water notably Laguna de Bay, the largest lake in the country, and that's why Calamba City is also known as the "City by the Lake".
The former mayors and political leaders of Calamba are:
There are 9 private and 1 government-run hospitals in Calamba. Some of the health centers in the city are the Calamba Medical Center, Calamba Doctors Hospital, Pamana Golden Care Hospital, St. John the Baptist Hospital, San Jose Hospital and Trauma Center, St. Marks Hospital and Medical Cente, Holy Angel General Hospital, CH Garcia Medical and Diagnostic Center, Dr. Jose Rizal Memorial Hospital, and Jose Yulo Foundation Canlubang Industrial Hospital.
Calamba has a literacy rate of 98.9%. As of 2007, there are 120 elementary schools, 51 of which are public and 69 private. There are 50 secondary schools, 16 public and 34 private. Post-secondary education include 17 universities and colleges, and 9 technical and vocational schools.
Schools located in Calamba include the City College of Calamba, Calamba Bayside National High School (Lingga Rural NHS), Punta National High School, Laguna College of Business and Arts, Calamba Institute, Colegio de San Juan de Letran, and Lyceum of the Philippines University- Laguna.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Calamba City|
||Cabuyao City||Laguna de Bay|
|Talisay, Batangas||Tanauan, Batangas||Santo Tomas, Batangas|
Here you can share your comments or contribute with more information, content, resources or links about this topic.