Map of Misamis Oriental with Claveria highlighted
|Region||Northern Mindanao (Region X)|
|District||2nd District, Misamis Oriental|
|Founded||July 22, 1950|
|• Mayor||Redentor N. Salvaleon|
|• Vice Mayor||Meraluna Salvaleon-Abrogar|
|• Total||579.63 km2 (223.80 sq mi)|
|• Density||77/km2 (200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
It is the only landlocked municipality of Misamis Oriental. The biggest area coverage in any town of the province.
Situated at the eastern part of the province is a verdant place with a humble beginning coupled with a rich culture and where nature is at its best. The Municipality of Claveria as it is known for more than six decades is a place of marvel for it was once named “TIKALA”, a native term for “wonder”. Tikala was then ruled by Datu Manlumupog, a brave warrior of the native aborigines known as the “Higaunons” meaning people of the land. The Higaunons observed simple living but with high regard to nature. For them, the vast and rich environment they have means life to them and this is manifested by their unique datu system, e.g., Datu for Agriculture – Igbabasuk; Datu for Hunting – Panumanud; Datu for water respect – Bulalakaw, etc. Despite the simple way of life, they were kept united by their Sacred Code named as Bungkatel Ha Bulawan, which under its teaching, land is a gift from the supreme creator for all men, the Magbabaya. Land is life, thus, must be taken cared of under the stewardship of the great, great-great ancestors whose spirits continue to keep watching over it so it could be used for generation to generation. Later on 1912, a Spanish Jesuit Missionary and the curate of Jasaan named Fr. Juan Yras came over the place and named TIKALA to Claveria in honor of the famous Spanish Governor-General of the Philippines Don Narciso Claveria y Zaldua in Hispanic colomia era. Politically, Claveria was under the Municipal District of the province of Bukidnon. Upon the passage of an Act No. 2968, otherwise known as the Artadi Law, Claveria was separated from Bukidnon and was ceded to the province of Misamis Oriental on February 21, 1921 under the administrative control of the Municipal District of Balingasag (MPDC LGU Claveria). Claveria attained its stature as an independent municipality of the province of Misamis Oriental on July 22, 1950 by virtue of the Executive Order (E.O.) No. 334 issued by the late President Elpidio Quirino. Today, Claveria is on the highway of progress as seen in its vast agricultural and other development potentials. The coming of various investors in the municipality pictures a more progressive Claveria. Claveriahanons are therefore challenged and encouraged to adopt possible change to sustain progress and development yet without prejudice to our unique culture and rich biodiversity.
It is bounded by a series of coastal towns and a component city. From Villanueva Town to Gingoog City to the north, northwest, and west; Bukidnon province to the south; and Agusan del Norte to the east. The municipality's only mode of transportation is the double-tire jeepneys with a seating capacity of no less than 20 passengers. From the provinces' capital Cagayan de Oro City in Agora-Eastbound terminal it will take an hour to commute to get in the town's Poblacion.
Claveria is the largest among the 23 towns of Misamis Oriental comprising one-third of the total land area of the province. The current total land area of the municipality measures 825 km2 as per 2006 data reduced from its original of 894.90 km2 base from 1990 records. Territorial land dispute has been claimed by several neighboring areas such as the city of Gingoog, towns of Balingasag, Villanueva, Jasaan, and Malitbog of Bukidnon.
The town has a generally rugged topography, characterized by gently rolling hills and mountains with cliffs and escarpments. The soil is classified as Jasaan clay, with a deep soil profile (greater than 1 m) and rapid drainage. It is generally acidic (pH 3.9 to 5.2), with low cation exchange capacity (CEC), low to moderate organic matter content (1.8%), high aluminium saturation, and low levels of available phosphorus and exchangeable potassium.
Claveria has a rainfall distribution of five or six wet months (>200 mm/month) and two or three dry months (<100 mm/month). Rainfall patterns throughout the municipality vary with elevation, with the upper areas having a relatively greater amount of rainfall than the lower areas. The rainfall pattern strongly influences cropping patterns and land use across Claveria’s landscape. Naturally the town is the only municipality of the province which has a cooler temperature ranging below 22 degrees Celsius in as much as 16 degrees Celsius and lower in the higher areas.
|Population census of Claveria|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
Although Cebuano or Binisaya/Bisaya is widely spoken in Claveria, majority of the population can speak Filipino the national language and as well as English which is commonly use in schools and government offices. There is a native tribe in the municipality that has their own dialect, the Higaonons which also speaks their "Binukid" tongue or Higaonon language. Binisaya/Bisaya is the conversational language spoken by Claverians at home.
|Name of Barangay||2007 census||2010 census|
|Pelaez (Don Gregorio Pelaez)||862||912|
Approximately over 85% of the populace are Roman Catholics and the rest comprises the Protestants and others. Every barangay has their own Catholic parish churches with one in Poblacion serves as the mother parish for the entire town. The Our Lady of Lourdes Parish church is the center of Catholic faith within the municipality. There is also a notable cult situated in Barangay Aposkahoy known as Elijah which is a community of people who has their own belief making the talk abouts among the locals. It has been controversial in the past years due to its peculiar way of living among its followers. Although the town's community has various religious beliefs, people all live peacefully and harmoniously altogether.
The local economy is mainly an agricultural area. Its income basically comes from crop production, freshwater products, and livestock or poultry output. Crop production includes vegetables, corn, root crops, coffee, and rice. The plantation of tomato and bell pepper is a common site in the vicinity. The most recent there has been a major plantation of pineapples by the Del Monte Philippines, Inc. The freshwater products include anga, pigok, haloan (snakehead murrel), bunak, damagan, subok, dalapakan, and kasili (eels). Livestock comprises swine, cattle, and poultry products. The Mindanao Silk Mulberry Farm which produces silk is also situated in the municipality. It is run by the Philippine Textile Research Institute - (PTRI) Mindanao office.
The municipality of Claveria is governed by a town Mayor and a Vice-Mayor which takes office in absence of the former. The municipal council is compose of 8 coming from the town, 1 from the president of the Barangay Captain's League and 1 from the president of Sangguniang Kabataan (Youth Council) Chairman's League of Claveria totalling a number of 10 councilors (kagawad).
The town is the seat of the premier agriculture school of the entire province, the Misamis Oriental State College of Agriculture and Technology or most commonly known as MOSCAT. Claveria has a total of 5 High Schools in which one from MOSCAT. All 24 barangays has its own Elementary School with Claveria Central School situated in Barangay Poblacion. There are also privately run pre-schools and grade schools operating in the municipality..
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Claveria, Misamis Oriental.|
||Salay||Balingoan / Medina / Gingoog||Buenavista, Agusan del Norte|
|Las Nieves, Agusan del Norte|
|Villanueva||Malitbog, Bukidnon / Impasugong, Bukidnon||Esperanza, Agusan del Sur|