"Feelin' So Good" is a song recorded by American entertainer Jennifer Lopez for her debut studio album On the 6 (1999). The lyrics to the song were written by Cory Rooney and Lopez, while the music was written by Steven Standard, George Logios and Sean "Puffy" Combs, who also produced the song. It was released on January 25, 2000, at the album's third single.
"Feelin' So Good" is a midtempo hip hop song with a length of five minutes and twenty-seven seconds (5:27). The song was written by Lopez with Cory Rooney, Christopher Rios, Joe Cartagena, Sean Combs, Steven Standard and George Logios, with Combs additionally serving as the track's producer. It features rappers Big Pun and Fat Joe who often collaborated with each other. Lopez recorded her vocals for the song at Daddy's House Recording Studios and Sony Music Studios in New York City. It was later edited by Jim Janik and mixed by Prince Charles Alexander. Lyrically, the song is about Lopez being in a good mood, with nothing bringing her down. Lopez sings in the chorus: "I'm feelin' so good / I knew that I would / Been talking care of myself / Like I should / Cause not one thing / Can bring me down / Nothing in this world gonna turn me around". It contains a sample of Strafe's song "Set It Off" (1984).
Release and reception
Around the time of the single's release, Big Pun, who was slated to join Lopez and Fat Joe for a performance of the song on Saturday Night Live died after a heart attack related to weight issues. Lopez responded to this with a statement "He was a source of pride for the Latin community, a great artist and a great person. We will miss him terribly." The song was remixed for her J to tha L-O! The Remixes by Sean Combs, the song's original producer.
The song received positive reviews from music critics, who enjoyed Lopez going back to her roots. Richard Torress from Newsday said "Sean (Puffy) Combs shows a deft studio touch on the hip-hop jam "Feelin' so Good," with Lopez doing a good job on a track tailor-made for the talents of Mary J. Blige." Despite flopping on the Billboard Hot 100 by only peaking at 51, the single was considered a strong fourth single from Lopez, charting inside the top 20 of several charts.
Music video and live performances
Lopez and her mother in the music video for "Feelin' So Good"
The music video for the song was directed by Paul Hunter and shot in the Bronx in 1999. It is the last video Pun would take part in before his death on February 7, 2000. The video starts with a white text that says "In loving memory of Christopher "Big Punisher Rios (November 10, 1979-February 7, 2000)" " Lopez lying on the bed answering phone calls from both Big Pun and Fat Joe. She soon hangs up, has her breakfast (fed to her by Lopez's actual mother)  and begins her daily routine. She is seen finding money on the pavement, receiving a paycheck and buying clothes in a sale, which accounts for her good mood. Later, her friends (Lopez's actual friends) pick her up from her house, before they catch the 6 train to a club. There is then an instrumental break, where Lopez and some back-up dancers perform to Manu Dibango's 1972 song "Soul Makossa". The beat of "Feelin' So Good" returns, and Pun and Joe meet her in the club performing their raps. The video ends with Lopez and her friends returning to the station and catching the train, with Lopez looking out the dark window, reflecting on her day.
Lopez performed the song at the 2000 Kid's Choice Awards. In the performance, she appeared as a teen sneaking out of her house at night and wore the outfit she wears in the official artwork for the track. Lopez sang the song at her 2011 Mohegan Sun concert. Additionally, it was included on the setlist for her 2012 Dance Again World Tour.
- ^ http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Uo9XAAAAIBAJ&sjid=LPIDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6906,3076749&dq=jennifer+lopez+feelin+so+good+third+single&hl=en
- ^ a b Torress, Richard (13-6-1999). "Jennifer debuts on disc". Newsday. Retrieved 11-3-2012.
- ^ http://www.allmusic.com/album/on-the-6-j-lo-mw0000480036
- ^ a b c d On the 6 (Booklet). Jennifer Lopez. New York City, NY: Work Records, a division of Sony Music Entertainment. 1999.
- ^ Duncan, Andrea (2000-02-07). "News - Articles - 1425726". Mtv.com. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- ^ "News - Articles - 1425724". Mtv.com. 2000-02-08. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- ^ Reid, Shaheem (2002-02-05). "P. Diddy And J. Lo Reunited For Remix Album, At Least - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- ^ Morales, Ed (30-3-1999). "It's Not La Vida Loca to Her; Some say Jennifer Lopez is risking a lot by making the leap to music". Los Angeles Times.
- ^ "News - Articles - 1431392". Mtv.com. 2000-08-08. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- ^ a b c As confirmed on the DVD The Reel Me.
- ^ Dinh, James (2011-09-19). "Jennifer Lopez Causes Man Frenzy In 'Papi' Video - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- ^ "Concert Review: Jennifer Lopez at Mohegan Sun - Hartford Courant". Articles.courant.com. 2011-10-23. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- ^ Sources for setlist:
- ^ "Australian-charts.com – Jennifer Lopez feat. Big Pun & Fat Joe – Feelin' So Good". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Hung Medien.
- ^ "Ultratop.be – Jennifer Lopez feat. Big Pun & Fat Joe – Feelin' So Good" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Ultratop & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch.
- ^ "Ultratop.be – Jennifer Lopez feat. Big Pun & Fat Joe – Feelin' So Good" (in French). Ultratop 50. Ultratop & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch.
- ^ "Jennifer Lopez Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Jennifer Lopez. Prometheus Global Media.
- ^ "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- ^ "Nederlandse Top 40 – Jennifer Lopez feat. Big Pun & Fat Joe search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40. Stichting Nederlandse Top 40.
- ^ "Charts.org.nz – Jennifer Lopez feat. Big Pun & Fat Joe – Feelin' So Good". Top 40 Singles. Hung Medien.
- ^ "Swedishcharts.com – Jennifer Lopez feat. Big Pun & Fat Joe – Feelin' So Good". Singles Top 60. Hung Medien.
- ^ "Jennifer Lopez feat. Big Pun & Fat Joe – Feelin' So Good – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart. Hung Medien.
- ^ "Jennifer Lopez" UK Singles Chart. Official Charts Company.
- ^ "Jennifer Lopez Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Jennifer Lopez. Prometheus Global Media.
- ^ "Jennifer Lopez Album & Song Chart History" Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Jennifer Lopez. Prometheus Global Media.
- ^ "Jennifer Lopez Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Jennifer Lopez. Prometheus Global Media.
- ^ "Jennifer Lopez Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Dance/Club Play for Jennifer Lopez. Prometheus Global Media.
- ^ "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2000 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 2009-04-19.
- ^ "RIAA – Gold & Platinum". RIAA. Retrieved 2009-04-19.
- ^ http://www.amazon.de/Feelin-So-Good-Jennifer-Lopez/dp/B00004SYKD