|Welsh: Y Fflint|
Flint shown within Flintshire
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Flint (Welsh: Y Fflint) is a town in Flintshire, Wales, lying on the estuary of the River Dee. It was the county town of the historic county of Flintshire and today is the third largest town in Flintshire. According to the 2001 Census the population of the community of Flint was 12,804. The demonym of Flint is off Flint.
Flint is located in north-east Wales, adjoining the River Dee, to the north of the town of Mold. Across the River Dee, the Wirral can be seen from Flint and views to the south of the town include Halkyn Mountain.
Edward I of England began to build Flint Castle in 1277. Both castle and town were attacked by the forces of Madog ap Llywelyn during the revolt of 1294-5; the defenders of the town burnt it in order to deny its use to the Welsh.
Richard II was handed over to his enemy Henry Bolingbroke in the castle in 1399. As a consequence, it is the setting for Act III, Scene III of the Shakespeare play Richard II. The castle was the first of Edward I's 'iron ring' of royal castles to be built in Wales, and the design served as the basis for larger castles such as Harlech and Rhuddlan. Owain Glyndŵr unsuccessfully assaulted it at the commencement of his revolt in 1400.
The town did not have a wall, but a protective earthen and wooden palisaded ditch. The outline of this remained visible in the pattern of streets until the mid-1960s, and the medieval boundary can still be traced now. This[clarification needed] can be seen in John Speed's map of Flintshire.
In 1969 Flint hosted the National Eisteddfod, and so the town has a circle of Gorsedd stones. In July 2006 the stones were centre stage in the National Eisteddfod Proclamation Ceremony which formally announced Mold as the 2007 host town of the event.
Flint is within the British parliamentary constituency of Delyn and is represented by Labour MP David Hanson. The town is part of the Welsh Assembly constituency of Delyn. At local government level, Flint is a community administered by Flintshire County Council.
18% of the local population self identified themselves as Welsh, although the census had no tick box allowing them to do so. (source: 2001 Census). Many people in Flint have some knowledge of the Welsh language, although competence does vary. English is the main spoken language to be heard across the town. There are more Polish language speakers in Flint since the relaxation of trade and immigration laws within the European Union. Many shops have English and Polish information displayed and there is a Polish shop (Polski Sklep) specialising in Polish products.
The Flint accent is most often mistaken for a Liverpool accent. It is in fact a unique combination of speech patterns shared with other Welsh speakers, old Irish settlers and those found in nearby Cheshire, Wirral and Merseyside.
There are several songs associated with Flint. The most widely sung is "The Yard". Another popular song is "Fifty German bombers over Flint", which tells the story of a wartime bombing raid over nearby Liverpool that accidentally targeted the town of Flint instead. Verses describe the arrival of the bombers over Flint, and how they were shot down by the "Bagillt Navy". Eventually, the ill-fated German aircrew were fished out by the "Greenfield Fishers". The song is often sung in a drunken, friendly manner to the accompaniment of much hand clapping and revelry.
The town has two high schools: St Richard Gwyn Catholic High School and Flint High School. Primary schools in Flint include the Gwynedd School, Cornist Park School, Ysgol Croes Atti (Welsh Medium), St Mary's Catholic Primary School and Ysgol Maes Hyfryd.
Flint once had its own low-powered television relay transmitter, designed to provide improved coverage of Welsh channels in an area that would otherwise receive only English television signals. Since 2009, signals are now transmitted from Storeton transmitting station in Mersyside.
Perhaps one of the town's most striking images, in addition to the castle, is the group of three tower blocks of flats near the town centre. The first two blocks were built in the 1960s and named Bolingbroke Heights and Richard Heights, with a third, Castle Heights, added shortly afterwards.
The library and leisure centre and the town centre have been renovated. Flint Retail Park has also expanded and now Flint is the only town in Flintshire with a Sainsbury's.
Former Liverpool F.C. striker and Wales football captain Ian Rush attended St. Richard Gwyn Catholic High school in Flint, some of his family live in the area. Other famous footballers who are from Flint include Ron Hewitt who starred in Wales' only FIFA World Cup appearance and his nephew Andy Holden. Other famous people connected with the town include the chemist John Thomas, best known for his research into plant dyes and Thomas Totty, an Admiral who served with Lord Nelson and inherited Cornist Hall, Flint. The actor Ian Puleston-Davies also comes from Flint.
Jade Jones, Olympic Taekwondo gold medallist, lives in Flint.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Flint, Flintshire|
Here you can share your comments or contribute with more information, content, resources or links about this topic.