||This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
Francisco Gil Villegas Montiel (b. February 3, 1953 in Mexico City) is a Mexican academic, professor and publisher.
Francisco Gil Villegas received a bachelor's degree in International Relations and a Masters in Political Science from El Colegio de México, a Doctorate in Political Science from the UNAM and a Doctorate in Political Studies from Balliol College, University of Oxford, under the supervision of Stephen Lukes. From 1981 to 1982 was visiting investigator of the Institute of Sociology of the University of Heidelberg. He has worked as a professor at the UNAM and El Colegio de México amongst others. In addition, he is member of the National System of Investigators, Level III; President of the "Commision Evaluadora del SNI" in the area of Social Sciences; and member of the "Commision Dictaminadora" for Income and Promotion of UNAM's Facultad de Ciencias Políticas y Sociales (FCPyS). Gil Villegas is the general editor for the translation of Max Weber's works in the Fondo de Cultura Economica, the main publishing house in Latin America.
 Courses taught at El Colegio de México
- "History of political ideas"
- "Introduction to the Social Sciences"
- "Political Theory" in the Political Science MA
 Topics of recent investigation
- Max Weber and the Hundred Years' War. Analysis of the centennial polemics around the Weberian thesis on the relation between the Protestant ethics and the mentality of modern capitalism (1904–2005).
- Heidegger, Lukács, Ortega, Scheler, Hartmann, Mannheim and Max Weber in the Zeitgeist of the European culture of the first third of the 20th century.
- Relations between Mexico and the European Union.
- Relations in Eastern Europe: Recent conflict in Kosovo and Georgia.
 Recent publications
- The Prophets and the Messiah. Lukács and Ortega as the precursors of Heidegger in the Zeitgeist of modernity (1900–1929), Mexico, Fondo de Cultura Economica, 1ª ed., 1996 (2ª ed. 1998), 560 pp.
- (With Rogelio Hernández et al.), The legislators before the political reforms of Mexico, El Colegio de México-Cámara de Diputados, 2001, 233 pp.
- Max Weber: The Protestant ethics and the spirit of the capitalism, critical edition, notes, introductory study and translation of the German of "My final word to my critics" (1910) of Francisco Gil Villegas M., Mexico, Fondo de Cultura Economica, 2003, 564 pp.
 Chapters in books and articles
- "Political parties and electoral systems in Mexico and Germany", in Carlos Dawn (coord.), Mexico and Germany: two countries in transition, El Colegio de México, 1996.
- "Mexikos Annäherung go Österreich", Zeitschrift für Lateinamerika Wien, no 50, 1996.
- "The complete works of Heidegger and the genesis of Sein und Zeit", Dianoia. Yearbook of Philosophy, Mexico, unam-fce, vol. xli, 1995 (published in March 1997).
- "The philosophical base of the theory of the modernity in Simmel", Sociological Studies, El Colegio de México, vol. xv, no. 43, April–September 1997.
- "The challenges to the sovereignty before the globalization", in Ilán Bizberg (coord.), Mexico before the end of the Cold War, Mexico, El Colegio de México, 1998.
- "Mexico, Europe and Austria", Foro Internacional, núm.152-153, April–September 1998.
- "The theory of modernity in Simmel", in Gina Zabludovsky (coord.), sociological Theory and modernity, Mexico, unam–Plaza Váldez, 1998.
- "Of the monarcómacos to the Statement of the Rights of Man passing for the theory of sovereignty", in Fernando Mountain Migallón (coord.), Homage to Rafael Segovia, Mexico, El Fondo de Cultura Economica-CONACYT, 1998.
- "Mexico and the European Union: a project of foreign policy", Foro Internacional, núm.156-157, April–September 1999.
- "The political bases of the theory of public administration" and "Decentralization and democracy: a theoretical perspective", in José Luis Méndez (coord.), basic Readings of administration and public politics, Mexico, El Colegio de México, 2000.
- "The concept of rationality in Max Weber", in Carmen Trueba Atienza (coord.), Rationality: language, argument and action, Mexico, UAM–Plaza Váldez, 2000.
- "German-Mexican cultural relations: the philosophical dimension", in Lion Bieber (comp..), The German-Mexican relations since the contribute of the brothers Humboldt to the present, Mexico, El Colegio de México-UNAM, 2001.
- "Heidegger and Nazism according to Víctor Farías, or the hidden agenda to discredit an upper thought", Theoría. Magazine of the School of Philosophy, Faculty of Philosophy and Letters, UNAM, no. 11-12, December 2001.
- "Mexico and the European Union in the six-year period of Zedillo", in Humberto Heron Elizondo and Susana Lizard (comps.), Between the globalization and dependence. The foreign policy of Mexico 1994–2000, Mexico, El Colegio de México-ITESM, 2002.
- "The Switchman. Fragments of the 'Introduction of the publisher' to the critical edition of Max Weber's "The protestant ethics and the spirit of capitalism", in Metapolítica, no. 26-27, November 2002-February 2003.
- "Context of the polemics that carried Max Weber to write in 1910 "My final word to my critics", Mexican Magazine of Political Sciences, UNAM, no. 186, September–December 2002.
- "Max Weber and its sources: history of an argument", La Gaceta del Fondo de Cultura Económica, no. 390, July 2003.
- "Nietzsche and the German culture in the first third of the 20th century", in Paulina Rivero Weber and Greta Rivara (comps.), Nietzschean Perspectives . Reflections around the thought of Nietzsche, Mexico, UNAM, 2003.
 Educational experience in other Centers of the Colmex and other institutions
- "Hermeneutics and interpretive social sciences", Doctorate in Sociology, Center of Sociological Studies, El Colegio de México (1987.1990, 1992, 1995, 1998, 2000).
- "Classical sociological Theory II: Weber and Durkheim", Doctorate in Sociology, Center of Sociological Studies, El Colegio de México(1983, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1994, 1997, 2001).
- History of the political ideas II", Degree in Political Science, Center of Investigation and Economic Teaching (CIDE) (1995 and 1996).
- "German Philosophy", Faculty of Philosophy and Letters, UNAM (1998, 2001, 2002, 2003).
- "Political Theory of parlamentarism", in the Graduate of Parliamentary Studies of the Faculty of Social and Political Sciences of the UNAM (March 1996).
- "Lukács and Ortega as the precursors of Heidegger", Extraordinary Professorship "Master of the Spanish Exile", Faculty of Philosophy and Letters, UNAM (August 1997-February 1998). Course with curriculum value for the matter of "German Philosophy" for students of Philosophy and of German Letters.
- "From historicism to sociology", Doctorate in History, Center of Historic Studies, El Colegio de México (September 1997-February 1998).
- "Political Theory", Doctorate in Political Science, Faculty of Social and Political Sciences, UNAM (March to July 2003)
- · "Political Theory II", "thesis thematic Seminar" and "political Theory IV", Masters in Social Sciences,FLACSO headquarters Mexico (February–April 1997, February–April 1998, September–December 1999, respectively).
- "Globalization and national sovereignty", Doctorate in Social Sciences, El Colegio de la Frontera Norte, Tijuana, Baja California (February–March 2000).
- Visiting Professor-Investigator of El Colegio de la Frontera Norte, Tijuana, Baja California (1984, 1987, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1996, 2000).
- "Philosophical Bases of the sociological theory", Seminar of Specialization, Doctorate in Sociology, Center of Sociological Studies, El Colegio de México(September 2002-February 2003)
- "Western Europe (1945–2000)", MA in Free Trade Agreements, Instituto de Altos Estudios Internacionales, Saltillo, Coahuila (2001 and 2003).
 Other prominent activities
- Commentator of diverse radio and television programs, among them: "Enfoque: Diario Hablado" de Núcleo Radio Mil (1998 to the date).
- Consultant for the Institute of European and Latin American Relations (IRELA), financed by the European Parliament, between 1994 and 1999, by invitation of its General Director, Wolf Grabendorff
- Director of the magazine Foro Internacional (1993 to 1998).
- Member of the Editorial Counsel of Metapolítica. Quarterly magazine of Theory and Political Science, Compared Politics Studies Center (1997 to the date), and of Political Studies, of the Faculty of Social and Political Sciences of the UNAM(1998 to the date).
- Doctorate Honoris Causes by the University of the Planalto Central of Brasília, Brazil, (November 29, 2001).
He resides in Mexico City and has one daughter, Alejandra (b. 22/02/81)