Georgina Bloomberg rides Caleno 3 at the Longines
Athina Onassis Horse Show in St. Tropez, France, June 2016.
||Georgina Leigh Bloomberg
|| United States
January 20, 1983 |
Manhattan, New York City
Georgina Leigh Bloomberg (born January 20, 1983) is the younger daughter of Susan Brown and former New York City mayor, founder of Bloomberg LP and philanthropist Michael Bloomberg. She is a philanthropist and professional equestrian.
Early Life and Education
Bloomberg was born in New York City. Her sister, Emma, is four years older. She attended The Spence School and graduated from New York University's Gallatin School of Individualized Study in 2010. She studied at Parsons Fashion Design College in 2012.
Career Highlights and Awards
Bloomberg began riding horses when she was four years old and began competing at six years old. She won "Best Child Rider awards at every major horse show on the east coast."
In 2000, Bloomberg began doing jumpers and won the USET Talent Derby in 2001. Bloomberg was a member of the gold medal winning North American Young Rider championship team for zone 2 in 2002 and ultimately won the individual gold medal in 2003. She was the winner of the Maxine Beard Award in 2004.
In 2005, Bloomberg was the winner of the Metropolitan Cup and the Las Vegas Invitational Knockout competition. She competed in the World Cup Finals. She was also a member of the first W.S. winning Samsung Super League team in La Baule, France. Since 2005, she has won five WEF Challenge Cups.
Bloomberg won another WEF Challenge Cup and was a member of the winning USA teams in Hamina, Finland and Falsterbo, Sweden in 2007. In Sweden she contributed her first double clear nations cup performance at a 5* competition. Bloomberg placed fourth in the Queen's Cup at Hickstead and was the highest placed American in the Dublin Grand Prix that summer. In 2008, she was a member of the last Samsung Super League Final in Barcelona.
She was the winner of the Empire State Grand Prix and the Bluegrass Festival Grand Prix in 2010. Bloomberg anchored the U.S. team victory at Furusiyya Nations Cup in Gijon, Spain with a double clear performance in August 2014. She was the winner of the inaugural Central Park Grand Prix CSI 3 in 2014.
In 2015, Bloomberg won the Adequan Grand Prix CSI 3* at the 2015 Winter Equestrian Festival. She was the Team Bronze medal winner as the newest member of the U.S. Equestrian Team in the 2015 Pan American Games in Toronto, Canada.
Bloomberg was the winner of the Royalton Farms Open Jumper 1.4m class at the 2016 Hampton Classic Horse Show. She was also the winner of the American Gold Cup Qualifier and the Hermes Sellier Classic at the American Gold Cup in 2016.
In 2016, Bloomberg participated in the inaugural season of the Global Champions League as both a rider for and owner of Team Miami Glory.
Bloomberg is currently sponsored by CWD saddles, Heritage gloves, Lettia Collection Coolmax saddle pads, Samshield and Tripe Crown Custom.
Bloomberg has co-authored several young adult novels about the equestrian show circuit.
- The A Circuit, Georgina Bloomberg and Catherine Hapka, 2011, ISBN 978-1-59990-634-8
- My Favorite Mistake, Georgina Bloomberg and Catherine Hapka, 2012
- Off Course, Georgina Bloomberg and Catherine Hapka, 2012
- Rein It In, Georgina Bloomberg and Catherine Hapka, 2013
Current Show Jumping Horses
Bloomberg currently has several show jumping horses.
M40 to Grand Prix divisions: Juvina, Lilli, Caleno, Crown 5, Calista, Balou, Manodie, and South Street Young horse divisions: Manhattan, Excelsior and Nolita.
At 23, Bloomberg founded the Rider's Closet, which collects new and gently used riding clothing and boots and provides them to therapeutic riding programs, pony clubs, intercollegiate riding programs and individuals in need.
Bloomberg currently serves on the board of the Hampton Classic Horse Show, the Emma and Georgina Bloomberg Foundation and the Bloomberg Family Foundation. She sits on the board of trustees for the U.S. Equestrian Team. Bloomberg is also a vice president at Animal Aid USA.
In 2016, the Humane Society of the United States recognized Bloomberg with the Compassion in Action Award "for her tireless work to protect all animals."
She is a founding member of Humane Generation/Friends of Finn committee, which works with the Humane Society of the United States to end the inhumane treatment of dogs in puppy mills and advocates for pet adoption.
In December 2013, Georgina Bloomberg gave birth to a son, Jasper Michael Brown Bloomberg, fathered by then boyfriend Ramiro Quintana who does not play a day-to-day role in his son's life. She currently has four rescue dogs, a rescue goat, two rescue mules and two mini-horses. Forbes magazine ranked her as one of the 20 "Most Intriguing Billionaire Heiresses". She splits her time between Manhattan and North Salem in New York as well as Wellington, Florida.
Bloomberg was born with a back condition, spondylolisthesis, which causes her back to fracture easily due to instability. In 2002, she broke her back while training for the Hampton Classic and recovered after wearing a brace for six months. Bloomberg broke her back again and suffered a small concussion after falling from a horse. She announced days later that despite the accident, she was eager to return to the sport. Bloomberg ultimately had surgery in 2011 to reshape her spine and took eight months off to recover.
- ^ gawker.com. "Georgina Bloomberg". Gawker. Retrieved 2017-06-15.
- ^ Reuters, Chris Taylor /. "Georgina Bloomberg Says She Regrets Not Taking Her Father's Advice on College". Money. Retrieved 2017-06-15.
- ^ "Georgina Bloomberg" Archived October 20, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.. Gawker.
- ^ "Georgina Bloomberg on How an Injury Changed Her Life & Why She Loves Competing in the Hampton Classic". Retrieved 2017-06-15.
- ^ "At Home with Georgina Bloomberg | Equestrian Living". eqliving.com. Retrieved 2017-06-15.
- ^ "Georgina Bloomberg on How an Injury Changed Her Life & Why She Loves Competing in the Hampton Classic". Retrieved 2017-06-19.
- ^ "Georgina Bloomberg - USET Foundation". USET Foundation. Retrieved 2017-06-19.
- ^ "Georgina Bloomberg Wins USET Foundation Maxine Beard Award - Equiworld Horse Magazine March 2004". www.equiworld.net. Retrieved 2017-06-19.
- ^ "BLOOMY'S GIRL ON TRACK FOR OLYMPICS". NY Daily News. Retrieved 2017-06-19.
- ^ "2005 Seson of the Samsung Super League Kicks Off in La Baule". FEI. 2005-05-02. Retrieved 2017-06-19.
- ^ "Rider's Closet - Georgina Bloomberg interview". www.campusequestrian.com. Retrieved 2017-06-19.
- ^ "New Yorker at Heart - The Horse Rider's Journal". thehorseridersjournal.com. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- ^ "Young US rider scores hat-trick in Finland | Horsetalk - International horse news". www.horsetalk.co.nz. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- ^ "Georgina Bloomberg Bests International Field in $25,000 WEF Challenge Cup VI". www.startinggate.ca. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- ^ "Falsterbo (SWE): CSIO5* 2014 - Nations Cup Results - Hippomundo". hippomundo.com. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- ^ "Georgina Bloomberg Sport Results - Hippomundo". hippomundo.com. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- ^ "SAMSUNG SUPER LEAGUE WITH FEI 2008 - PRESS RELEASE NO. 17". FEI. 2008-09-15. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- ^ Anonymous (2010-08-23). "Georgina Bloomberg Rides to Victory in $30,000 Bluegrass Festival Grand Prix". HorsesDaily. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- ^ "Grand Prix Wins By Bloomberg, Pasmore, and Howard Highlight the 2010 Old Salem Farm Spring Horse Shows". US Equestrian. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- ^ "Georgina Bloomberg leads Team USA to Furusiyya Nations Cup victory at CSIO5* Gijon…". www.noellefloyd.com. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- ^ "Georgina Bloomberg makes biggest move on Longines World Top 200…". www.noellefloyd.com. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- ^ Palm Beach International Equestrian Center (2015-01-24), Winning Ride: Georgina Bloomberg and Lilli - $127,000 Adequan® Grand Prix CSI 3* at 2015 WEF, retrieved 2017-06-26
- ^ "Georgina Bloomberg takes the CSI3* $127,000 Adequan Grand Prix in Wellington….". www.noellefloyd.com. Retrieved 2017-06-26.
- ^ "Equestrian Athlete Profile : United States - Toronto 2015 Pan American Games". results.toronto2015.org. Retrieved 2017-06-26.
- ^ System, Show Management. "Results - The Hampton Classic | Show Management System". hc.showmanagementsystem.com. Retrieved 2017-06-26.
- ^ "Georgina Bloomberg Clinches Hometown Win in $86k American Gold Cup Qualifier - Jumper Nation". Jumper Nation. 2016-09-17. Retrieved 2017-06-26.
- ^ "A Conversation With Georgina Bloomberg: Hamburg, the GCL & Riding For Your Team". www.noellefloyd.com. Retrieved 2017-06-26.
- ^ "Our Top Riders". www.cwdsellier.com. Retrieved 2017-06-28.
- ^ [http://www.equestrianmag.com/news/new-york-heritage-gloves-equine-bloomberg-6-06.html "New York City�s Georgina Bloomberg Signs with Heritage Gloves ~ EquestrianMag"]. www.equestrianmag.com. Retrieved 2017-06-28.
- ^ "Rider Support - Union Hill Equestrian Products & Supplies". www.unionhillcorp.com. Retrieved 2017-06-28.
- ^ "Riders | Samshield". www.samshield.com. Retrieved 2017-06-28.
- ^ Custom, TCC - Triple Crown. "Our Riders | Triple Crown Custom". triplecrowncustom.com. Retrieved 2017-06-28.
- ^ "Amazon.com: Georgina Bloomberg: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle". www.amazon.com. Retrieved 2017-07-06.
- ^ "Georgina Bloomberg Horses - LONGINES GLOBAL CHAMPIONS TOUR". www.globalchampionstour.com. Retrieved 2017-07-06.
- ^ "Georgina Bloomberg." Today's Equestrian, Aug. 2016: pp 44-45
- ^ "Pegasus Therapeutic Riding :: The Rider's Closet". www.pegasustr.org. Retrieved 2017-07-12.
- ^ "Rider's Closet - Georgina Bloomberg interview". www.campusequestrian.com. Retrieved 2017-07-12.
- ^ "Board of Directors :: The Hampton Classic". www.hamptonclassic.com. Retrieved 2017-07-12.
- ^ IRS Form 990T, "The Bloomberg Sisters Foundation," 2011
- ^ "Board of Directors | Bloomberg Philanthropies". Bloomberg Philanthropies. Retrieved 2017-07-12.
- ^ "About - USET Foundation". USET Foundation. Retrieved 2017-07-12.
- ^ "Meet the Founders and Meet the Team at Animal Aid USA". Animal Aid USA. 2016-12-13. Retrieved 2017-07-12.
- ^ "To the Rescue! New York gala raises funds for animal rescue efforts". www.humanesociety.org. Retrieved 2017-07-12.
- ^ "Georgina Bloomberg on Why You Should Always Adopt Your Pets". Retrieved 2017-07-12.
- ^ "Humane Generation/Friends of Finn Members : The Humane Society of the United States". www.humanesociety.org. Retrieved 2017-07-12.
- ^ "Bloomberg Becomes a Grandfather". December 25, 2013. New York Times
- ^ "Georgina Bloomberg - USET Foundation". USET Foundation. Retrieved 2017-06-15.
- ^ http://celebritybabies.people.com/2015/05/21/georgina-bloomberg-marriage-single-mother-son-jasper/#more-223032
- ^ "Georgina Bloomberg on Why You Should Always Adopt Your Pets". Retrieved 2017-07-12.
- ^ In Pictures: The 20 Most Intriguing Billionaire Heiresses - Forbes.com
- ^ "Horsehair Completes the Outfit". New York Times. November 2010.
- ^ "Georgina Bloomberg Was Born To Ride—And Not On Dad's Coattails". Retrieved 2017-06-26.
- ^ "Mayor's daughter can't wait to get back in saddle". NY Daily News. Retrieved 2017-07-12.
- ^ "Georgina Bloomberg on the Surgery that Changed Her Life". Horse Network. 2016-10-27. Retrieved 2017-07-12.