Glasgow and Renfrew District Railway
The Glasgow and Renfrew District Railway was nominally owned by the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway. It was incorporated on 6 August 1897 and opened on 1 June 1903.
In the 1921 Railway Grouping it became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS).
The route 
Passenger and freight services 
The line left the main Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway at Cardonald and travelled in a north-westerly direction towards the River Clyde. The first passenger station on the line being at Deanside; however this station closed on 2 January 1905. The next station was King's Inch.
The line then followed the direction of the River Clyde where it crossed over the top of the Paisley and Renfrew Railway before turning south west, and running parallel with the Paisley and Renfrew Railway.
Its terminal station Renfrew Porterfield was located close to the Paisley and Renfrew Railway's Renfrew South.
The Caledonian Railway and the Glasgow and South Western Railway were each solely responsible for running passenger services to Renfrew Porterfield for six-month blocks, after which the other company took over for six months. This arrangement ran from 1903 to 1907; after that passenger services were provided solely by the Glasgow and South Western Railway.
Freight branches 
Freight branches were also built to service traffic on the River Clyde at:
- King's Inch.
20th Century expansion 
This was due in part to the building of the King George V Dock at Shieldhall: the south side opened in 1931; and the west side in World War II. In addition, the Deanside and Braehead Transit Depots opened in World War II to handle increased traffic through the docks. This led to a build up in freight traffic on the line.
The building of a coal-fired power station at Braehead after World War II also lead to considerable freight traffic on the King's Inch branch. The power station was later converted to oil firing.
Deanside was the first station to close; it closed on 2 January 1905. Renfrew Porterfield and King's Inch stations closed on 19 July 1926. However, the line to Renfrew Porterfield continued to be used for freight, as did the freight-only branches.
Braehead power station was closed and demolished in the early 1990s; it is being redeveloped as the Braehead regeneration project.
See also 
- ^ a b Awdry, page 76
- ^ a b c Casserley
- ^ a b c Butt
- ^ a b c Sleeman. The Present System: The Port of Glasgow To-day. In Chapter 10 of: Cunnison & Gilfillan
- ^ a b Osborne, Quinn and Robertson
- ^ Little
- ^ Sellar and Stevenson
- Awdry, Christopher (1990). Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies. Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0049-7. OCLC 19514063.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- Casserley, H. C. (1968). Britain's Joint Lines. London: Ian Allan. ISBN 0-7110-0024-7.
- Cunnison, J. and Gilfillan, J.B.S., (1958). The Third Statistical Account of Scotland: Glasgow. Glasgow: William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0086-1. OCLC 22311137.
- Little, M., (1979). Greater Glasgow's Railway Network. In: Scottish Transport, 33, Scottish Tramway Museum Society. ISSN 0048-9808.
- Osborne, Quinn and Robertson. (1996). Glasgow's River. Glasgow: Lindsay Publications. ISBN 1-898169-08-X.
- Seller, W.S.; Stevenson, J.L. (1980). The Last Trains, Volume 2: Glasgow & Central Scotland. Edinburgh: Moorfoot Publishing. ISBN 0-9066-0602-0. OCLC 25917538.
Historical Scottish railway companies
|Glasgow and South
|Great North of
|North British Railway
- Aberlady, Gullane and North Berwick
- Bathgate and Coatbridge
- Blane Valley
- Border Counties Railway
- Border Union Railway
- Campsie Branch
- Carlisle and Silloth Bay Railway and Dock Company
- Coatbridge Branch
- Devon Valley Railway
- Dunfermline and Queensferry
- Edinburgh and Bathgate
- Edinburgh and Dalkeith
- Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Edinburgh and Hawick
- Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway
- Edinburgh, Loanhead and Roslin Railway
- Edinburgh and Northern
- Edinburgh Suburban and Southside Junction
- Esk Valley
- Eyemouth Railway
- Forth and Clyde Junction
- Gifford and Garvald
- Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge
- Glasgow City and District
- Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh
- Glasgow and Milngavie Junction
- Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank
- Kelvin Valley Railway
- Kirkcaldy and District Railway
- Kincardine Line
- Leadburn, Linton and Dolphinton
- NBR Macmerry Branch
- Monkland and Kirkintilloch
- Monkland Railways
- Montrose and Bervie
- Mallaig Extension
- NBR North Berwick Branch
- North British, Arbroath and Montrose
- Peebles Railway
- Stirling and Dunfermline
- Strathendrick and Aberfoyle
- Slamannan and Borrowstounness
- West Highland Railway
- Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness