|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Motto||শিক্ষা, ঈমান, শৃঙ্খলা
Shikkha, Iman, Shringkhola (Bengali)
Motto in English
|Education, Faith, Discipline|
|Established||1858, University: 2005|
|Campus||Urban, 15.75 acres|
Jagannath University (Bengali: জগন্নাথ বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় Jagannath Bishwabiddaloy) is a government financed public university in Sadarghat, Dhaka the capital of Bangladesh. Jagannath University is in the southern part of Dhaka city near the river Buriganga and very closer to Bahadur Shah Park, Islampur and Laxmibazar.
The university has a history that started in 1858 when Dhaka Brahma School was founded by Dinanath Sen, Prabhaticharan Roy, Anathbandhu Mallik and Brajasundar Kaitra. The name Jagannath School was given by Kishorilal Chowdhury, the Zamindar of Baliati in Manikganj, who took over the school in 1872 and renamed it after his father.
In 1884, it was raised to a second grade college. Law was one of the first courses introduced. A common management committee administered the school and college until 1887, when the school section was separated to form the independent Kishore Jubilee School. It is now known as K L Jubilee School. The administration of the college was transferred to a board of trustees in 1907. In the following year, it became a first grade college.
The college started with 48 students. In five years, the roll raised to 396. In 1910, Raja Manmath Roy Chowdhury, the zamindar of Santosh, Tangail, affiliated the Pramath-Manmath College of Tangail with Jagannath College. With the establishment of University of Dhaka in 1921, it stopped admission to degree courses and was renamed Jagannath Intermediate College. This status was changed after 28 years in 1949, when it reopened degree classes. The college was taken over by the government in 1968.
Jagannath College opened honours and masters programmes in 1975. That year the government once again took over and upgraded it into a postgraduate college. In 1982, the college closed its programmes at the intermediate level. It introduced evening shifts in 1992.
It was transformed into Jagannath University in 2005 by passing a bill named Jagannath University Act-2005 in the national parliament.
As an A+ grade ranked university by University Grants Commission of Bangladesh, Jagannath University (JnU) has 36 departments under seven faculties. Every department follows the semester system. At present 507 teachers are engaged in providing quality education to around 20,000 students in Honors, Masters, M.Phil and Ph.D programs.
There are seven faculties and two institutions in Jagannath University. Today 36 departments are running at JnU.
IER started in 2015-2016 session. This institution is at Pogos Laboratory School and College, Jagannath University.
IML started at Jagannath University in 2010.
The teachers and students of the then college took active part in the Language Movement of the early 1950s, the mass movements of the 1960s and the Bangladesh War of Independence in 1971.
In 2011-2012, the Jagannath University made it into the list of "Top World Universities" by the ranking agency Times Higher Education and Quacquarelli Symonds (THE–QS), UK. Out of over 30,000 universities around the world, JnU was placed as 2204.