|• Body||Katwa Municipality|
|• Chairman||Rabindranath Chatterjee|
|• MP||Sunil Mondal|
|• MLA||Rabindranath Chatterjee|
|• Total||8.53 km2 (3.29 sq mi)|
|Elevation||21 m (69 ft)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||91 3453|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Bardhaman Purba|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Katwa|
The small town has a historical background of five hundred years. The earliest name of Katwa was Indranee Pargana. Later the name was changed to Kantak Nagari. In January 1510, Sri Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu received "Diksha" from his guru Kesava Bharati at the site of the current Sri Gauranga Bari Temple in Katwa. Since then, this small township has been a sacred place for Vaishnavites.
The location of the town at the confluence of two navigable rivers, Ajay and Hooghly, made the town strategically important. Katwa was considered the gateway to Murshidabad, the erstwhile capital of the subah of Bengal. Nawab Murshid Quli Khan, Nawab of Bengal, first established a chowki at Katwa during his reign (1717-1727). Between 1742 and 1751, Katwa was invaded by the Bargis (break-away Maratha groups) several times, as part of the Maratha invasions of Bengal. It was the site of the First Battle of Katwa (1742) and the Second Battle of Katwa (1745), with Nawab Alivardi Khan of Bengal defeating the Marathas both times. In the Battle of Plassey (1757), on 19 June 1757, Katwa was the last Nawabi garrison conquered by British forces before heading to Plassey. Robert Clive held a council of war in Katwa on 21 June 1757, where the decision was taken to cross the Hooghly River to Plassey. On 19 July 1763, Katwa was once again the scene of action during the Third Battle of Katwa, where British troops fought and defeated a contingent of troops loyal to Nawab Mir Qasim.
Under the aegis of the British East India Company, Katwa became an urban settlement, encouraged by the presence of missionaries such as William Carey Jr., the son of William Carey. By the 1800s, Katwa had become a thriving trading town with the principal economic activity being the riverine trade in salt. The modern town of Katwa was established in 1850, when it was granted the status of a subdivisional town under the 10th Act of Municipal Rules. The Municipality of Katwa as a governing entity was established on 1 April 1869. The urbanization of Katwa received a further boost with the construction of railroads in the early 20th century: Katwa-Azimganj (constructed in 1903), Katwa-Bandel (1912), Katwa-Bardhaman (1915), and Katwa-Ahmedpur (1917).
As per the 2011 Census of India Katwa had a total population of 81,615, of which 41,350 (51%) were males and 40,265 (49%) were females. Population below 6 years was 6,799. The total number of literates in Katwa was 65,187 (79.87% of the population over 6 years).
In 2011, the population breakdown by religion was: Hindus (66,899), Muslims (14,488), Sikhs (50), Christians (44), Buddhist (9), Jains (4), Unspecified/Not Stated (121).
The economy of Katwa is based on agriculture and agro-related trades. The fertile soil of the surrounding areas is enriched by the alluvium from the Hooghly, Ajay and Damodar rivers. The major crops that are farmed in the countryside surrounding Katwa include rice, jute, mustard, sugarcane and various tropical vegetables. Katwa is an important center for marketing the region's agricultural products and for providing retail and consumer services to the surrounding population. Industries are limited to cottage industries and small-scale agro-related industries, e.g. rice mills, jute products, etc.
Within the urban area, as of 2011, 0.81% of workers are employed in the primary (agricultural) sector, 5.96% of workers are employed in the secondary (manufacturing) sector, and 93.70% of workers are employed in the tertiary (services) sector.
Areas of tourism interest in the town include:
Katwa Sub-Divisional Hospital is a 250-bed public facility providing secondary healthcare to Katwa sub-divisional area. There are a number of private nursing centers that serve the town, as well.
Anandaniketan Society for Mental Health Care is a not for profit organisation situated five kilometers outside of Katwa, providing residential care to 350 children, adolescents and adults who have physical, mental and/or intellectual disabilities.
Katwa and its surrounding areas are especially well-known for their raucous Kartik Puja, colloquially known as Kartik Ladai (Ladai means "battle" in Bengali). The object of worship is the boy-faced deity, Kartik, locally referred to as Nangto Kartik or Naked Kartik, in reference to the youth of the deity. In the greater Katwa area, over 250 separate organizations organize pujas and unofficially compete with each other over the sophistication of the theme or the sculpture of the deity. After the day of the puja, the deities are paraded throughout town on their way to be ritually submerged in the nearby Hooghly River. The processions usually feature loud music and dancing, leading to a town-wide, festival-like ambiance (jovially named ladai or battle) enjoyed by all participants and spectators.
Katwa is served by WB State Highway 6 connecting Katwa to Suri and Shibpur, and WB State Highway 14 connecting Katwa with Bolpur and Palashi. The closest bridge crossing over the Hooghly River is at Gourango Setu at Nabadwip-Mayapur (41 km away).
The Katwa-Ahmedpur narrow gauge railway line is being converted to broad gauge.
Katwa is the site of a floating terminal on National Waterway 1 consisting of a pontoon placed on water front with a berth of 30 m (98 ft).
The town of Katwa is divided into twenty (20) administrative wards. Each ward elects a councilor to the governing body, Katwa Municipality. Municipal elections are held every five (5) years, with the most recent election held in 2015.
'Religion flourishes at Katwa more than at any other station in the Mission.' (p. 277)
None of the audio/visual content is hosted on this site. All media is embedded from other sites such as GoogleVideo, Wikipedia, YouTube etc. Therefore, this site has no control over the copyright issues of the streaming media.
All issues concerning copyright violations should be aimed at the sites hosting the material. This site does not host any of the streaming media and the owner has not uploaded any of the material to the video hosting servers. Anyone can find the same content on Google Video or YouTube by themselves.
The owner of this site cannot know which documentaries are in public domain, which has been uploaded to e.g. YouTube by the owner and which has been uploaded without permission. The copyright owner must contact the source if he wants his material off the Internet completely.