|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Basi Kiratpur as a part of the district Bijnor shares the same history for most of the time period. It was ravaged by Timur in 1399, no documented evidence exists about it till the time of Mughal emperor Akbar, when it formed part of the Delhi empire and so continued undisturbed, except for occasional raids, as long as the power of the Moguls survived intact. In the early part of the 18th century, however, the Rohilla Pashtuns established their independence in the country called by them Rohilkhand and about 1748 the Rohilla chief Ali Muhammad made his first annexations in Bijnor, the rest of which soon fell under the Rohilla domination. The northern districts including Kiratpur were granted by Ali Muhammad to Najib Khan, who gradually extended his influence west of the Ganges and at Delhi, receiving the title of Najib-ud-daula and becoming paymaster of the royal forces. His success, however, raised up powerful enemies against him, and at their instigation the Marathas invaded Bijnor. This was the beginning of a feud which continued for years. Najib, indeed, held his own, and for the part played by him in the victory of Panipat was made vizier of the empire. After his death in 1770, however, his son Zabita Khan was defeated by the Mahrattas, who overran all Rohilkhand. In. 1772 the Nawab of Oudh made a treaty with the Rohillas, covenanting to expel the Marathas in return for a money payment. He carried out his part of the bargain; but the Rohilla chieftains refused to pay.
In 1774 the Nawab concluded with the government of Calcutta a treaty of alliance, and he now called upon the British, in accordance with its terms, to supply a brigade to assist him in enforcing his claims against the Rohillas. This was done; the Rohillas were driven beyond the Ganges, and Bijnor was incorporated in the territories of the nawab, who in 1774 ceded it to the British East India Company. From this time the history of Bijnor is uneventful until the Mutiny of 1857, when (on 1 June) it was occupied by the nawab of Najibabad, a grandson of Zabita Khan. In spite of fighting between the Hindus and the Muslim Pashtuns the Nawab succeeded in maintaining his position until the 21st of April 1858, when he was defeated by the British at Nagina; whereupon British authority was restored.
The population is predominantly composed of traders and small scale industrialists.people in the town are narrow minded Majority of population follows Hinduism or Islam. Both the communities have lived in harmony for a long time. There is nothing much for entertainment except a single screen theater. People basically try to enjoy with physical entertained by playing a lot there. Cricket has been very popular in the town and nearby villages.
Aslam Kiratpuri, is an Urdu Journalist Artist and the only professional Lahori Nastalique calligrapher in India.[not in citation given] He has inspired many youngsters to value the art of calligraphy. Aslam Kiratpuri patiently creates his beautiful calligraphic Toghras, intricate works of calligraphy in different styles using verses form the Quran along with various geometric and floral designs. He is the only Lahori Nastalique style calligrapher in India,
He was born in 1951 at Kiratpur (Bijnour) a small town in Utter Pradesh. Aslam Kiratpuri interested in calligraphy since his childhood, He learn the basics and finesse of the art from a famous Artist and Calligrapher Faiz Mujjadid Lahori a renowned Calligrapher and Artist. Specializing in different styles of Quranic calligraphy.
There are more secondary and senior secondary schools in the Kasba. Ansar Inter College.Hindu Inter college,Mahatma Gandhi Muslim Inter Collage,Lala Dhaniram Saraswati Vidya Mandir Inter College,Two Saraswati Shishu Mandir Schools, Kanya Ucchatar Madhyamic Vidyalaya (AKA Kanya Pathshala), Madni Inter College and St.Peter's School are some of well known schools in the area. Most of the schools provide education in Hindi medium & English medium.
There are ample institutions for basic education, but there is two degree college, Rama College of Education, which provides graduate degree in Commerce and Education & .Students prefer to migrate to other cities for getting higher education.
St.Peter's School was established in 1980 by the Education Society of the Catholic Diocese of Bijnor. It worked as subordinate institution of St.Mary's School, Bijnor, and functioned as a primary school up to Class IV until 2007. The Education Society then upgraded the school to a high school.This school is pledged to provide good quality of education till 10th standard.
Green Field Public School in Kiratpur is an English medium co educational school with 100% results in CBSE board exams in previous years, it was established in 2005 it is affiliated to CBSE Delhi till Std. XII.Green field public school Kiratpur is being run by the erstwhile zamindar Tyagi family of UP west.The school enjoys the patronage of shri Praveen Kumar Tyagi a Marine Engineer of the rank of Chief Engineer and the only Urdu Poet from India who is a Marine Engineer,also a member of Royal Institute of Naval Architects (United kingdom) and Soc of Naval Architects and marine Engrs (USA)Now the school is maintaining more than 800 students and a fully operational transport section.
Colleges in the town include Hindu Inter College,MGMPM Inter college, Rama Institute of Higher Education, Madnee Inter College. (A.K.C). etc.
There is a market catering to the needs of the people of the town and of the residents of nearby villagers.Sunday market near walipura is a major market for near by villagers.