|Local authority||City of Lancaster|
|Managed by||Virgin Trains|
|Number of platforms||5|
|Live arrivals/departures and station information
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Lancaster and Carlisle Railway|
|Pre-grouping||London and North Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||London, Midland and Scottish Railway|
|22 September 1846||Opened as Lancaster Castle|
|5 May 1969||Renamed Lancaster|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Lancaster from Office of Rail Regulation statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
|Morecambe, Lancaster & Heysham Port|
Lancaster railway station (formerly known as Lancaster Castle railway station) is a railway station that serves the city of Lancaster in Lancashire, England. It is one of the principal stations on the West Coast Main Line.
Lancaster railway station has five platforms currently in use.
In addition, there are two central through lines for non-stop passenger trains and freight traffic. There was previously a Platform 6, and although the platform face remains, the track has been removed.
Lancaster is served by several train operators.
Originally known as Lancaster Castle Station in order to distinguish it from the first Lancaster Station (1840–1849), Lancaster station was officially opened on 21 September 1846. The first public service ran into the station on 17 December the same year. The station was built as the southern terminus of the Lancaster and Carlisle Railway after the initial planned route for the line - following the Lancaster Canal and crossing the River Lune from Ladies Walk to Skerton - was changed in favour of a cheaper route west of the city.
The station was remodelled in 1902 when additional lines and platforms were added and further station buildings constructed. The new buildings were styled mock-Elizabethan with the intention of mirroring the battlements of the nearby Lancaster Castle. Platforms 5 and 6 were electrified in 1908 to serve the now-closed Midland Railway route to Morecambe and Heysham. This line closed in January 1966 and the overhead line equipment was removed.
The track layout in the station area was rationalised in 1973 when control of the signalling was transferred to the new Preston Power Signal Box. This included the removal of the track from Platform 6, although this platform had seen no regular use for some time prior to this. The West Coast Main Line through Lancaster was electrified in 1974, and regular electric passenger services recommenced at the station 7 May 1974.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
TransPennine North West
Oxenholme Lake District
|Bare Lane||Northern Rail
Leeds to Morecambe Line
Morecambe Branch Line
West Coast Main Line
|Oxenholme Lake District|
Birmingham - Glasgow/Edinburgh
|Oxenholme Lake District|
|Terminus||Furness Railway||Hest Bank|
|Galgate||London and North Western Railway
Lancaster and Carlisle Railway
"Little" North Western Railway
|Lancaster Green Ayre|
|Terminus||London and North Western Railway
Glasson Dock Branch Line
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Lancaster railway station|
Here you can share your comments or contribute with more information, content, resources or links about this topic.