|District||Mandi Bahauddin District|
|NA/PP||2/5 N.A (108,109) P.P(116,117,118,119,120)|
|No. of Towns|
|• Type||City District|
|• Union Councils||27|
|• Total||7,623 km2 (2,943 sq mi)|
|Elevation||204 m (669 ft)|
|• Density||260/km2 (680/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+5)|
Mandi Bahauddin (Punjabi, Urdu: منڈی بهاؤالدین) is a city in central Punjab, Pakistan.It is also the capital of Mandi Bahauddin District.The city is some 220 metres above the sea level and is located in central Punjab, between the rivers Jhelum (north 12 km) and Chenab (south 39 km). The city of Mandi Bahauddin had no traffic lights up until February 2010 when the first set was installed at the major intersections.
In 1506 AD Hazrat Bahauddin a Sufi Darvesh established a settlement namely Pindi Bahauddin in the north-eastern corner of the region known as "Gondal Bar", after his immigration from Pindi Shah Jahanian to this area. The settlement soon became a center of intense commercial activity, hence named afterwards by the merchants as "Mandi Bahauddin", the Market of Bahauddin. The Urdu word "Mandi" implies "marketplace". The proto-city was later on fortified with 9 main doorways to guard against foreign invasions. The wall intact today was completed in 1946.
However, the recorded history of Mandi Bahauddin goes back to the era before Common Era, connecting the region with the historic figure of Alexander the Great. Some 8 km northwest of the modern-day Mandi Bahauddin town, village Mong on the southern bank of Jhelum River (Greek Hydaspes), the battle Battle of the Hydaspes River was fought between Raja Porus (Sanskrit Paurava) and Alexander. This historic battle of Hydaspes River, which Indian sources refer to as the "Battle of Jhelum", took place in 326 BCE. The kingdom of Raja Porus was situated in the northern Punjab of modern Pakistan. This battle proved the last major fight of Alexander's career, for the Macedonians, after being put up a fierce resistance by Porus' soldiery and having heard of a massive 4,000 elephant force mustered by eastern kingdoms, refused to march further east i.e. Ganges Plains.
In 997 Sultan Mahmud Ghaznavi succeeded his father, Sultan Sebuktegin, as ruler of the Ghaznavid dynasty. He conquered the Shahis in Kabul in 1005, followed by the conquest of the Punjab region. The Delhi Sultanate and, later, the Mughal Empire ruled the region. The Punjab became predominantly Muslim, due to missionary Sufits whose dargahs dot the landscape. After the decline of the Mughal Empire, the native Sikhs of Punjab gained control over the territory. In 1847 the District came under British occupation and two years later, in 1849, it was included in the territory annexed after the second Sikh War.
The predominantly Muslim population supported Muslim League and Pakistan Movement. After the independence of Pakistan in 1947, the minority Hindus and Sikhs migrated to India. A notable personality of Wasu at that time,Choudary Khuda Bakhsh Gondal(son of Ilaah Bakhs Gondal) really helped a lot the minorities(mainly Hindus) to leave for india safely giving a message of peace at that crucial time. On the other hand, Muslims refugees from India settled down in Mandi Bahauddin District. In 1963, the Rasul Barrage and Rasul-Qadirabad Link Canal project under the Indus Basin Irrigation Project started. The project was managed by Water and Power Development Authority (WAPDA), and a large colony for government employees and foreign contractors was constructed 2 kilometres north of Mandi Bahauddin city. This project was completed in 1968 by Engineer Riazur Rahman Shariff as the Project Director. This project brought Mandi Bahauddin into limelight and helped the city grow commercially. Mandi Bahauddin is also having the only manufacturing unit of Food Dyes in Pakistan named as Rainbow Dye-Tech (Pvt.) Ltd.