Ciudad nin Naga
|— Independent Component City —|
|The City of Naga|
|• English||The City of Naga|
|• Filipino||Lungsod ng Naga|
|• Spanish||Ciudad de Naga|
|• Bikol||Ciudad nin Naga|
|Holy Rosary Seminary, Universidad de Santa Isabel, Naga Metropolitan Cathedral, Our Lady of Peñafrancia, Ateneo de Naga University, Our Lady of Peñafrancia Shrine, Malabsay Falls, Naga City Hall, Carmelite Monastery, Peñafrancia Festival|
The Heart of Bicol
An Maogmang Lugar (The Happy Place)
Queen City of Bicol
Economic Center of Bicol
Financial Center of Bicol
Global City of Southern Luzon
International City of Bicol Region
The Pilgrim City of the Philippines
Most Progressive City in Southern Luzon
Industrial City of Bicol
Land of Investments
Best City in the Bicol Region
Business City of the Bicol Region
City of Smiles
Convention City of Southern Luzon
Home of Jesse M. Robredo
Trade City of Southern Luzon
Cultural Center of Bicol
Uswag, Naga! (Progress, Naga!)
|Region||Bicol (Region V)|
|Royal City-charter (archaic)||1595|
|Founder||Capt. Pedro de Chavez|
|• Mayor||John G. Bongat (LP)|
|• Vice Mayor||Gabriel H. Bordado, Jr. (LP)|
|• Independent Component City||84.48 km2 (32.62 sq mi)|
|• Independent Component City||174,931|
|• Density||2,100/km2 ( 5,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Income classification||1st Class (2010), highly urban|
|City classification||Independent component city (2007)|
The City of Naga (Bikol: Ciudad nin Naga, Maogmang Naga; Filipino: Lungsod ng Naga) is an Independent Component city in the Bicol Region of the Philippines. The town was established in 1575 on order of Spanish Governor-General Francisco de Sande, the city, then named Ciudad de Nueva Caceres (New Caceres City), earned its status as the third Spanish royal city in the Philippine islands, after Cebu and Manila. Residents of the city are called Nagueños.
Naga is also the place of massive industries, and large international companies due to its high rate of progression through the years that pass. Naga City is also the cultural center of Bicol because of large convention centers, and most cultural food, festivals, and poetry are located in the city.
The city is also the seat of the Metropolitan Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Caceres, whose jurisdiction includes all the suffragan sees of Bicol, the Dioceses of Daet, Legazpi, Libmanan, Masbate, Sorsogon, and Virac.
Naga is at the core of Metro Naga, an official designation given the city and 14 municipalities in the area administered by the Metro Naga Development Council. MNDC covers the entire 2nd district of the province of Camarines Sur, and part of its 1st, 3rd and 4th districts.
The city of Naga is located within the province of Camarines Sur in the southeastern tip of Luzon at the near the center of the Bicol Region, surrounded on all sides by rich agricultural, forest and fishing areas. It covers a land area of 8,448 hectares (20,880 acres) and is located around the serpentine and historic Naga River, at the confluence of the Naga and Bikol Rivers. Thus, it has always been an ideal place for trade and as center for schools, church and government offices. Included in its territory is Mount Isarog, a declared protected area in Region V known as Mount Isarog Natural Park.
Naga City is located 377 kilometres (234 mi) southeast of Manila, the nation's capital, 45 km north of Iriga City and about 380 kilometres (240 mi) northeast of Cebu City, the second largest city in the country.
The City of Naga is politically subdivided into 27 barangays.
||This section needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012)|
In 1573, on his second expedition to this region, the conquistador Juan de Salcedo landed in a village and named it "Naga" because of the abundance of Narra trees ("Naga" in Bikol) in the place, although some local historians now believe the term naga came from a similar word found in the languages of the Bataks of Sumatra and the Dayaks of Borneo, meaning "serpent/dragon", which originally conmes from the Indian Sanskrit "Naga" meaning "Serpent". The same word is found in other Philippine languages and according to local historian Danilo Gerona, the ancient Tagalogs and Pampangos used a decorative figurehead on the prows of their seacrafts in the shape of the head of a dragon or snake which they called naga, just like in India (see Snake Boats) and rest of South East Asia.
In 1575, Captain Pedro de Chávez, the commander of the garrison left behind by Salcedo, founded on the site of the present business centre (across the river from the original Naga) a Spanish city which he named La Ciudad de Cáceres, in honor of Francisco de Sande, the governor-general and a native of the city of Cáceres in Spain. It was still by this name that it was identified in the papal bull of August 14, 1595 that erected the See of Cáceres, together with those of Cebú and Nueva Segovia, and made it the seat of the new bishopric under the Archdiocese of Manila.
In time, the Spanish city and the native village merged into one community and became popularly known as Nueva Cáceres, to distinguish it from its namesake in Spain. It had a city government as prescribed by Spanish law, with an ayuntamiento and cabildo of its own. At the beginning of the 17th century, there were only five other ciudades in the Philippines. Nueva Cáceres remained the capital of the Ambos Camarines provinces and later of the Camarines Sur province until the formal creation of the independent chartered city of Naga under the Philippine Republic.
The bishops of Cáceres occupied a unique place in the Philippine Catholic hierarchy during most of the Spanish regime. By virtue of the papal bull of Gregory XIII, ecclesiastical cases originating in the Spanish East Indies, which ordinarily were appealable to the Pope, were ordered to be terminated there and no longer elevated to Rome. Decisions of bishops were made appealable to the archbishop and those of the latter to the bishop of the nearest see. Thus, in the Philippines, the decisions of the Archbishop of Manila were subject to review by the Bishop of Cáceres whose jurisdiction then extended from the whole Bicol region, the island-province of Marinduque and the present-day Aurora, which was once part of the former Tayabas province, which is now the province of Quezon. In this sense, bishops of Bikol were delegates of the Pope and could be considered primates of the Church of the Philippines.
This was the reason why bishops of Cáceres and archbishops of Manila were sometimes engaged in interesting controversies in the sensational Naga case and in such issues as canonical visitation and the secularization of the parishes. As papal delegate, Bishop Francisco Gaínza, then concurrent bishop of Cáceres, sat in the special ecclesiastical tribunal which passed upon the civil authorities' petition to divest Fathers Burgos, Gómez, and Zamora of their priestly dignity. Gaínza did not only refuse the petition but also urged their pardon.
For hundreds of years during the Spanish colonial era, Naga grew to become the center of trade, education and culture, and the seat of ecclesiastical jurisdiction in Bicol.
With the advent of the American rule, the city was reduced to a municipality. In 1919, it lost its Spanish name and became officially known as Naga. It acquired its present city charter in 1948, and its city government was inaugurated on December 15 of the same year by virtue of Republic Act No. 305. Rep. Juan Q. Miranda sponsored this legislative act which put flesh into the city's bid to become among the only few independent component cities in the country.
Japanese fighter and bomber planes invaded and attacking the town municipality of Naga on December 1941 and became occupied by the Imperial Japanese troops on 1942. The establishment of the military garrison of the Japanese Imperial Army was located in Naga during Japanese Occupation.
The Philippine Commonwealth Army on 1942 to 1946 and the Philippine Constabulary 2nd Infantry Regiment on 1944 to 1946 was founding establishment and military active on 1942 to 1946 at the general headquarters and stationed in Naga. Many Bicolano resistance groups was downfall conflicts and insurgent invasion of Naga on 1942 to 1945 and aided and supporting them by the local ground troops under the Philippine Commonwealth Army units and attacking Imperial Japanese soldiers. After the conflict siege, some Bicolano freedom fighters are retreating by the Japanese and before the liberation on Naga by Allied troops until 1945.
On 1945, combined U.S. and Philippine Commonwealth troops liberated the town municipality of Naga and aided by the Bicolano resistance groups and defeated Imperial Japanese troops and ended in the Second World War.
After Naga was liberated from the Japanese, Naga began on rebuilding the town. With only a few casualties, Naga City was able to rebuild quickly after the war. After many petitions, Naga became a city in July 16, 1948.
|Population census of Naga|
|Source: National Statistics Office |
The city is the ecclesiastical seat of the Archdiocese of Caceres . The city is also the seat of the Primate of the Bicol region. This dominant faith is supported by the presence of old and influential Catholic institutions, from universities to churches run by different religious institutes, notably the Ateneo de Naga University by the Jesuits; the Universidad de Sta. Isabel by the Daughters of Charity; the Naga Metropolitan Cathedral; Peñafrancia Basilica Minore; Peñafrancia Shrine; and Our Lady of Peñafrancia Museum.
The city celebrates the Feast of Nuestra Señora de Peñafrancia Our Lady of Peñafrancia, the Patroness of the Bicol Region starting second Friday of September each year. The start of the 10-day feast, one of the largest Marian devotions in the country, is signalled by a procession (called Traslacion) which transfers the centuries-old image of the Blessed Virgin Mary from its shrine at the Peñafrancia Basilica Minore to the 400-year old Naga Metropolitan Cathedral. Coinciding with nine days of novena prayer at the cathedral, the city celebrates with parades, pageants, street parties, singing contests, exhibits, concerts, and other activities. Finally, on the third Saturday of September, the image is returned shoulder-borne by so-called voyadores to the Basilica Minore de Nuestra Señora de Peñafrancia via the historic Naga River.
Other Christian organizations are represented by Iglesia ni Cristo (INC) whose imposing church is a landmark along Panganiban Drive, Also having considerable number of members are Members Church of God International popularly known as Ang Dating Daan, Seventh Day Adventist and Bible Baptist whose churches are located along Magsaysay Avenue; while other Christians go to the Methodist Church which is among the old structures along Peñafrancia Avenue. There is also a medium concentration of Jesus Miracle Crusade in the City.
One of the other major religions that are represented in Naga City is Islam where a mosque is located at Greenland in Brgy. Concepcion Pequeña. Followers of Hinduism has a temple along Basilica Road in Brgy. Balatas. A shrine for the followers of Taoism is located along Lerma Street in Brgy. Triangulo.
Nine sites and landmarks in the city with historical value
The Ateneo de Naga University (ADNU) is a Jesuit university in the Bicol Region. The school is accredited with PAASCU since 1979, making it one of the best universities in the country. ADNU is the first university in the Philippines to achieve PAASCU Institutional Accreditation, on top of its Autonomous Status, Level III Status, and its Center of Excellence in Teachers Education, Center of Development in Business Administration, Entrepreneurship, and Information Technology. It has produced top animators in the country since it launched its Bachelor's Degree in Animation. The university is also the alma mater of the very first Bicolano Jesuit priest, Father Juan Bonafe, S.J. --> The Universidad de Santa Isabel is the oldest normal school for girls in Southeast Asia inaugurated on April 12, 1869. It is a sectarian school run by the religious Daughters of Charity Sisters. The University of Nueva Caceres is the very first university south of Luzon, outside of Manila. It is the region's largest university in terms of enrollment and one of the top-ranked law schools in the region.
The Philippine Women's University has its Career Development and Continuing Education Center in the city, while the University of the Philippines opened its Open University in USI to cater to distant-education students. The Bicol College of Arts and Trade, now Camarines Sur Polytechnic Colleges, has also a large student base in the city. One of the leading maritime schools in the country, Mariners Polytechnic Colleges Foundation, has two campuses in Metro Naga, one along Panganiban Drive and another in Canaman, a suburban town.
The Naga College Foundation is the leading Criminology school in the region. It has produced topnotch placements in the National Police Commission Examinations and the Criminologist Licensure Exams through the years.
The oldest live-in Christian higher educational institute for the clergy in the country was established in the city in the early part of the 18th century. The Holy Rosary Seminary (El Seminario del Santissimo Rosario), a Roman Catholic seminary run by the Archdiocese of Caceres, has produced 22 bishops, including the first Filipino bishop, Jorge Barlin, and the first Filipino Cardinal to work in the Roman Curia, Jose Cardinal Sanchez. It has richly contributed as well to the national heritage through Jose Ma. Panganiban and Tomas Arejola and 7 of the 15 Bikol Martyrs. On January 29, 1988, the National Historical Institute declared the Holy Rosary Seminary as a National Historical Landmark.
University of Santo Tomas will open its own campus in Naga City in the next 10 years.
The government-run Camarines Sur National High School registers over 10,000 enrollees every school year and it is the biggest secondary school in the region. Naga City Science High School was established in Naga City in 1994. Two schools in the city, Saint Joseph School(SJS) and Naga Hope Christian School (NHCS), caters to Filipino-Chinese students.
The Naga Parochial School (NPS) is the largest Parochial school in the Bicol region receiving 850 enrollees yearly. It is run by priests of the Archdiocese of Caceres. It is the first PAASCU-accredited parochial school in the Philippines. Some members of the clergy (63 as of 2007 with 3 bishops) assigned to the city are alumni of the school. This is an exclusive Catholic school for boys with Most Rev. Rolando Joven Tria Tirona as chair of the Board Trustees. Well-known personalities such as the late Sen. Raul S. Roco, Mayor Jesse M. Robredo, Justice Francis E. Garchitorena, Gov. Luis R. Villafuerte, Jaime Fabregas, Jonathan Dela Paz Zaens, Archbishop Tito Yllana, Bishop Jose Rojas PC, DD are graduates of NPS. -->
Arborvitae Plains Montessori, Inc. (formerly Casa Dei Bambini Montessori), is a Montessori school with eleven branches spread all over the Philippines offering education according to the Montessori method modified for the Philippine curriculum. The Naga City Montessori School was established in 1989 offering pre-school, grade school and high school education. The Village Montessori on San Leandro St. is the only school in the Bicol Region that offers the real Montessori method which follows the continuous progression curriculum of the American Montessori Society.
Specialized computer schools have also mushroomed in the city due to popularity of computer courses, both degree and short-term. AMA Computer University and STI College have established campuses in the city. Other specialized computer schools include Worldtech Resources Institute (WRI), Philippine Computer Foundation College (PCFC) and CCDI.
Tutorial and review centers for higher education are found in the city. Some of these centers are Art Review Center, Edgeworth Review Center, and AimOne Review Center. Tutorial centers such as Asiawise Study Center], which is located along Barlin St. (near Naga Cathedral), also offer review programs for UP and other college entrance tests, Philippine Science High School qualifying exam, and Law Aptitude Exam.
Naga City is cited as one of the Most Business-Friendly Cities in Asia and is considered to be one of the Philippines Top 20 cities, that major in export, commerce, trade, and high-employment. Naga City is the only place in Bicol where large, long offices of the most massive international companies in the Philippines. Naga City is also the only city in where there is a cyber zone that specializes in free internet to everyone. Foreign and local tycoons also reside in the city.
Strategically located at the heart of Bicol, Naga City is also the trade city in Bicol that is the embarkation point and resting point of goods from Visayas and Manila.
The first Central Business District, commonly known as 'Downtown Naga' or simply 'Centro' which means center is located in the southern part of the city. In the north, it boundaries on the Naga University Belt and boundaries to the south by the historical Naga City Peoples Mall or simply Naga City Community Supermarket. It surrounds the triplet plazas of Naga City, The Plaza Kinse (15) Martires, The Plaza Quezon, and the main monument that is the center of the Central Business District 1, the Plaza Rizal. The Central Business District 1's main road are the Elias Angeles Road that starts from the Metropolitan Cathedral and ends at the Naga City Supermarket. The Central Business District 1 is the location of some large local businesses that sells a few local delicacies and native products from neighboring municipalities and provinces.
The second Central Business District is the location of international, and national businesses and is located along the Jesse M. Robredo Coliseum which is the second largest coliseum in the Philippines, after Smart Araneta Coliseum in Metro Manila. The Central Business District 2 is also the location of the 2nd largest mall in Bicol, the SM City Naga, the largest bus terminal in the Bicol Region, the Naga City Central Bus Terminal, and the large Camarines Sur Industrial and Technological Park which houses several Business Process Outsourcing Offices. Though comparably smaller, the second Central Business District also is the location of the delivery point, and resting point of trade goods from Legazpi City, Sorsogon City, Masbate City, and Catanduanes. This is also the place where the Naga City Regional Trade Center opened beside the Jesse M. Robredo Coliseum. The district also is the location of some hotels and some cheap convention centers.
The main road in the city is Magsaysay Avenue or Magsaysay Boulevard which starts from the City Hall district, connecting it to the Magsaysay District where accommodations and restaurants catering to travelers are found. Businesses are open till late at night with some shops also open 24/7. Naga City also has its share of fastfood restaurant chains. The city hall, provincial capitol and several provincial offices are also located in the district around the Peniafrancia Basilica.
Naga City is the Financial Center of the Bicol Region. The city hosts the regional offices of Philippine National Bank, Metrobank, RCBC, Allied Bank, Bank of the Philippine Islands and the Philippine Postal Savings Bank. A number of banks have several branches in the city, like MetroBank, RCBC, Bank of the Philippine Islands, and BDO UniBank. A leading thrift bank, RCBC Savings Bank, enjoys patronage from both Filipino and Chinese businessmen. Robinsons Bank of the Gokongwei group has also set up its branch in the city. One of the biggest rural banks in the country, Bank of Makati, is also found in the city. Two small albeit very active banks, Asia United Bank and Philippine Farmers Bank, are the two latest banks to open in the city. Meanwhile Banco de Oro opened their fourth branch in the city at the Seaoil Mega Station along Magsaysay Avenue.
The 2nd largest shopping mall in the Bicol is located in the City, the SM City Naga. This is the 2nd largest and the most visited shopping mall in the Bicol Region, ranging from 15,000-20,000 every week. SM City Naga is located at the second Central Business District and beside the Naga City Central Bus Terminal, the largest bus terminal in Camarines Sur. Naga City also has another largest mall in the Bicol Region, the E-Mall that is strategically located in the Central Business District 1 or Centro Naga. LCC Mall is also located in Abella Street near Central Business District. The Ayala Corporation is set to open in Naga City in the next years. The Robinsons Place Naga is also set to open in the next years.
Naga City was cited as one of best places for Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) outside Metro Manila last 2010. The city has advanced to the 10 next wave cities in the country’s Business Process Outsourcing industry list of the Business Processing Association of the Philippines (BPAP).
Considered by the BPAP as a feeder city for providing highly qualified manpower and industries to other outsourcing centers across the country, Naga City and Legazpi tied with Dagupan and Dumaguete Cities in the 10th place.
The city currently has two IT park—the Naga City Industries District and the Camarines Sur Industrial and Technological Park that are both highly conducive for outsourcing businesses.The two facilities offer about 9,000 call center seats that could provide jobs to some 27,000 agents in three-shifts. Pioneering the business in Naga City is the Incubation Center of Southern Luzon Technological College Foundation Inc. (SLTCFI) which is an extension of Naga City Industries District, the third IT ecozone in the Bicol region inaugurated in August 13, 2011.
Sutherland Company had already opened their call center and is located at Pili, Camarines Sur. The Australian BPO Company is set to open their own respective call centers in Naga City in the next few years.
The Naga City Industries District, and the Camarines Sur Industrial and Technological Park. Naga City produces 56% of the total industries in the Bicol Region. Other industries in Naga City are internationally acclaimed.
Manufacturing is the second highest in production of all industries in Naga. One of the old industries is the Plastic Manufacturing Factory but was closed due to the plastic-ban in the city. Naga City usually manufactures canned goods like corned beef, and canned sisig. Other manufacturing industries are the Meat-Packing manufacturers, and the Brewery manufacturers. The manufacturing industries are located at the Naga City Industries District.
After the one town, one product provincial project was released in Camarines Sur, many native making and food industries moved to Naga City. One of this industries is the Manila Hemp bag-making factories along the Camarines Sur Industrial and Technological Park. This factories produce the most beautiful and most famous bags in the Bicol Region. Another native industry is the cloth-making industry that makes clothes that are made of native materials. Another industry is the small-time wood-sculptors factories.
Naga is served by landline and mobile phone companies like BayanTel and Digitel of the Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company. Major mobile phone providers in the area include Globe, Smart, and Sun Cellular.
ABS-CBN Corporation had expanded its network in Bicol by establishing ABS-CBN Naga which operates ABS-CBN channel 11 Naga, Studio 23 channel 23 Naga, and MOR!. Local shows such as TV Patrol Bicol, Marhay na Aga Kapamilya and MAGTV Oragon are aired in the whole region via ABS-CBN Regional Network Group which is also stationed in the city. Associated Broadcasting Company's TV5 airs shows via channel 22 and also through its affiliate station People's Broadcasting Network (PBN TV 5 Naga) but there are plans to establish its own regional station in the city. GMA Network's GMA channel 7 and GMA News TV channel 28 is also available. All of the major television broadcasting channels' regional offices are located in the city.
Naga City has a good number of FM and AM radio stations of in the region, some of which operate 24 hours daily. The city's cable and satellite TV companies include Naga Cable TV, Caceres Cable TV and SkyCable.
Naga City is easily accessible by air and land. The city is served by the Naga (WNP) Airport which is located in the barangay of San Jose in the nearby town of Pili. Flights from Ninoy Aquino International Airport to Naga takes approximately 35–40 minutes with services provided by Cebu Pacific and Air Philippines three and two times a day, respectively. By land, Naga is a 7 to 8-hour ride from Manila via Quirino & Andaya Highways or 10 hours via the Maharlika Highway. It is approximately 22 hours from Cebu City with ferry transfers in Sorsogon, the southernmost province of the Bicol peninsula. Buses ply to Sorsogon and Tacloban.
Naga City is 2nd considered as a Railway City next to Legazpi City. It is the Center point of the Philippine National Railway's Bicol Line. Naga Prosper and flourished as it serves as a transit point of Commerce in Camarines' Area. Daily rail services to and from Manila were provided by the Philippine National Railways under Bicol Express Service.
Naga with adjacent towns and cities from Tagkawayan, Quezon province to Ligao, Albay is served daily by Bicol Commuter's express. A plan has been expressed upon completion of the rehabilitation of the Line to Legazpi City the Bicol Commuter's Express will be extended up to Legazpi. 
The weather in the city from March to May is hot and dry with temperature ranging from 22 to 28 °C (72 to 82 °F). From June to October is the typhoon season and it is generally rainy. From November to February, the climate is cooler with temperatures ranging from 22 to 28 °C (72 to 82 °F). The average year-round humidity is 77%.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
|Climate data for Naga City|
|Average high °C (°F)||30.2
|Daily mean °C (°F)||25.6
|Average low °C (°F)||20.9
|Precipitation mm (inches)||6.3
|Avg. rainy days||1.0||1.0||1.0||1.0||7.0||14.0||16.0||19.0||17.0||13.0||9.0||5.0||104|
The government owned Bicol Medical Center and the Universidad de Sta. Isabel - Mother Seton Hospital owned and operated by the Daughters of Charity. It also houses the only medical district in Bicol, The Metropolitan Medical District.
. Some of the reasons are the Youth Code authored by City Councilor Hon. Ray-an Cydrick Rentoy and co-authored by Sangguniang Kabataan Federation President Hon. Dan Paolo Morales, the City Youth Officials Program, being member of the city council of the SKF President, recognition of various youth orgranizations, the Naga City Council for Youth Affairs, etc.
By virtue of SP Ordinance No. 2007-008, as amended by Ordinance No. 2009-017 dated March 19, 2007 and March 17, 2009 respectively Institutionalizing the Naga City Youth Officials Program and declared the period from April 15 to May 31 each year as City Youth Month. During this period, youth officials will be given the opportunity to handle the operations of the city government except in areas, which are policy determining or requiring monetary disbursements. Each year, 45 youths will be selected through a two-phase selection process (written and oral examinations) from a pool of qualified youth applicants/nominees in Naga City. The youths that will be selected will be appointed as follows:
Jesse Robredo's tomb
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Naga City, Camarines Sur|
||Magarao||Bombon / Calabanga|
Here you can share your comments or contribute with more information, content, resources or links about this topic.