|Pamantasan ng Silangang Negros|
|Motto||Culture of Service and Excellence|
|President||Dr. Joel P. Limson|
|Undergraduates||29,797 (as of June 2015)|
|Location||Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental, Philippines|
|Colors||Blue and white|
Negros Oriental State University is the only state university in Negros Oriental, Negros Island Region, Philippines, with 7 major satellite campuses. NORSU is the main campus with most academic programs and student organizations. Formerly Central Visayas Polytechnic College, it was converted into a state university for students from Visayas and Mindanao. The Main Campus I is on Kagawasan Ave., Dumaguete City, beside the provincial capitol building of Negros Oriental.
The beginnings of what is now the Negros Oriental State University date back to 1907, from a single woodworking class at what was then the Negros Oriental Provincial School, the forerunner of the present Negros Oriental High School. As more industrial art subjects were added, a separate arts and trade school on the secondary level called the Negros Oriental Trade School, which became the East Visayan School of Arts and Trades in 1956 and the Central Visayas Polytechnic College in 1983. In 2004, it is then converted into what is now the Negros Oriental State University.
The Negros Oriental Provincial High School was the precursor of what is now the Negros Oriental High School. It opened in Dumaguete on September 1, 1902. The "Provincial School," as it was simply referred to before, arose at the time when the principal stress in the program of public instruction of the American Civil Government in the Philippines was simply the introduction of the most basic academic program at the elementary and secondary levels. It was one of the 23 high schools in the country at that time.
The curriculum offered by the Provincial School included English, reading, grammar, composition, arithmetic, geography, US history, and spelling. There was also a sewing class, which served as prototype of the vocational arts and trades education in the public schools in the province.
The Negros Oriental Trade School (NOTS) was ordered to be created on December 3, 1927 by virtue of Act No. 3377 of the Philippine Legislature. It was opened in July, 1928 with a first year class of 25 students. Though it was already considered as a separate institution, its students, however, continued to take their academic courses in English and Mathematics at the Negros Oriental Provincial High School.
With the growth in size of the Negros Oriental Trade School, it became imperative to have its own campus. Thus on July 26, 1930, Mr. Paul Wittman,the Division Superintendent of Schools for Negros Oriental, petitioned the Governor-General Henry Dwight F. Davis to reserve for the future campus of the Negros Oriental Trade School a piece of property adjoining the Catholic town cemetery, which lay at what was then the outskirts of Dumaguete. In 1932, NOTS was transferred from its premises at the ground floor of the Municipal Hall to its present campus. That same year, it conferred diplomas on its first 18 graduates.
The members of class 1942 of NOTS were never to finish the school year. Like all other schools throughout the country, Negros Oriental Trade School was closed. Some of its male faculty and students rose to join the colors during the World War II. The Negros Oriental Trade School campus was used by the US Army in 1945 as quarters for Japanese prisoners of war whom they captured. NOTS was then reopened in July 1946 and in 1950, it became coeducational for the first time.
By virtue of Republic Act No. 1579 signed into law on June 16, 1956, the Negros Oriental Trade School became the East Visayan School of Arts and Trades (EVSAT). Under this new status, EVSAT was headed by a "Superintendent" with a "Principal" assisting him in administering the academic program of the school. The responsibility for the financial support of the school also shifted from the shoulders of the province of Negros Oriental to the national government. The most salient developments in the life of the school at this time included its rise in status to a collegiate level, the diversification of its technical curriculum, and the increase in buildings, machinery, and equipment.
In 1957, during the administration of Mr. Mariano P. Dagdag, technical education courses on the collegiate level were offered for the first time. These included technical machine shop, technical building construction, technical automotive mechanics, and a number of girl's trades technical courses. In 1960, Evening Opportunity Classes were introduced for the first time, to make trade education accessible to adults and out-of-school youth, and in 1961, three other government schools in Negros Oriental were placed under the administration and supervision of EVSAT. These were the Negros Oriental National Agricultural School (NONAS) in Bayawan, the Guihulngan Vocational School in Guihulngan, and the Bais School of Fisheries in Bais City. To the three was subsequently added the Larena National Vocational School in Larena, Siquijor.
In 1965, EVSAT was authorized by virtue of Republic Act No. 4401 to offer a teacher education program leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Industrial Education. This raised EVSAT to the full status of a collegiate institution and pointed in a fresh direction which in time was to bring an entirely new character to the institution.
In 1975, new shop courses in Marine Engineering and Electronics, and Saturday classes in Practical Arts were offered for the first time. EVSAT was also authorized to offer a four-year technical educational program, leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Industrial Technology (BSIT), with a major in industrial management and supervision.
The need for candidates for the BSIE degree, major in industrial arts, for laboratory classes to do practice teaching led to MECS authorization in 1976 for EVSAT to open elementary classes at first in Grade V to VI. The full elementary school program began at the start of the new school year in June 1977. In later years, a high school was added as a second laboratory schools.
By virtue of Batas Pambansa No. 401 passed on April 14, 1983 and signed into law by President Ferdinand E. Marcos on June 10, 1983, the Central Visayas Polytechnic College came into being. The state college was the result of the merger of three government institutions in Negros Oriental, namely the East Visayan School of Arts and Trades in Dumaguete City, the Bais School of Fisheries in Okiot, Bais City, and the Guihulngan Vocational School in Guihulngan City, Negros Oriental.
In its educational task, the primary responsibility of the Central Visayas Polytechnic College was "to give professional and technical training in science and technology, advanced specialized instruction in literature, philosophy, arts and sciences, besides providing for the promotion of scientific and technological researchers." The State Collegewas authorized to offer undergraduate courses in liberal arts, engineering, fisheries, agriculture, and short-term vocational courses for the development of middle level skills. It was also authorized to offer graduate courses, after the passage of five years and at the discretion of its Board of Trustees."
In December 11, 1986, Atty. Marcelo C. Jalandoon was formally appointed as the first President of Central Visayas Polytechnic College. President Jalandoon's administration of CVPC encompassed the transition period after Martial Law. Philippine education was faced with the great challenge of responding to the compelling need to stabilize the country's political situation by solidifying its economic foundations and fulfilling popular expectations of a better life, now that freedom has been recovered from the morass of oppressive days.
By 1991, the solid foundation established by the earnest efforts of CVPC's previous administrators and the unflagging commitment to service of its faculty and staff waited only for the right man to take over the helm of leadership for the State College to forge ahead with the new vigor and direction. The man of the hour was Dr. Henry A. Sojor, who was appointed by Philippine President Corazon C. Aquino on August 1, 1991, as the second President of the College. Dr. Sojor took his oath of office five days later before the Secretary of the Department of Education, Culture and Sports, Dr. Isidro Carino.
In his first term as President from 1992 to 1997, Dr. Sojor placed high priority in advancing the program of CVPC under seven categories, namely, academic programming and instructional development, research, extension service, capital development, international linkages and partners, and production.
Through Republic Act No. 9299 signed by President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo on June 25, 2004, Central Visayas Polytechnic College (CVPC) was converted into a state university, now known as the Negros Oriental State University (NORSU), integrating therewith the Genaro Goñi Memorial College in the City of Bais, the Siaton Community College in the Municipality of Siaton, and the Mabinay Institute of Technology in the Municipality of Mabinay.
NORSU offers undergraduate and graduate studies in the fields of arts and sciences, philosophy, literature, mass communication, teacher education, agriculture and forestry, fishery, engineering and architecture, maritime education, industrial and information technology, hotel and restaurant management, tourism, public health, criminology, geology, public administration, business and accountancy, law, medicine, nontraditional courses and various other courses and short-term programs.
NORSU is known as the school for poor but deserving students, because of its low-cost tuition and miscellaneous fees while capable of producing many board passers and topnotch achievers each year.
The university adopted a bi-semestral system wherein students enroll twice each year. The first semester enrollment starts as early as 2nd week of May and ends early June, when classes begin as well. Classes for the first semester normally ends on the 3rd quarter of October.
Enrollment for the second semester starts late October and ends first week of November. The semester ends on the last quarter of March although normally Honors' Day and commencement dates fall on the 3rd week of March.
The university has an average of 15,000 students per semester coming from all over the province, some as far as Luzon and Mindanao. As of the 2nd semester of SY 2012-2013 the population is more or less 11,000 students in the main campuses.
PYLON is the Official Yearbook of Negros Oriental State University System. Pylon consist of four (4) Departments: Creative Design & Photography Department, Creative Writing Department, Information, Equipment and Record Management Department and Multimedia & Information System Department.
The student government of Negros Oriental State University, named Negros Oriental State University - Federation of Student Governments (NORSU-FSG), is composed of all the student governments of all NORSU system namely: a. Student Governments of Dumaguete City I b. Student Governments of Dumaguete City II c. Student Governments of Bayawan- Sta. Catalina Campus d. Student Governments of Siaton Campus e. Student Governments of Bais Campuses f. Student Governments of Guihulngan Campus g. Student Governments of Mabinay Campus h. Student Governments of Pamplona Campus
The NORSUnian is the official Weekly student publication of Negros Oriental State University system. The NORSUnian is one of the three (3) acclaimed student publications in the Philippines which comes out weekly together with The Philippine Collegian of the University of the Philippines in Metro Manila, and The Weekly Sillimanian of Silliman University of Dumaguete City.
A major event of Negros Oriental State University is the Hugyawan Festival, a merrymaking activity highlighting the celebration of NORSU’s Foundation Day celebration featuring spectacular parade of colorful costumes, festivities, humorous gimmicks and merrymaking in the streets of Dumaguete City from different colleges and satellite campuses of NORSU to showcase the unique way of life of the inhabitants of Negros Oriental, and at the same time, capture the customary response of the Negrenses towards Nature, Fate, and what God has given them, which is thanksgiving through celebration, merrymaking and revelry.
Hugyawan, comes from the Cebuano term “hugyaw” or revelry, is a condensation of the phrase “hugot sa pagbayaw”, which literally translates to sincere tribute or heartfelt offering to God, country and culture and to ourselves. On the cultural front, “hugyaw” means “to make very loud noise using drums and other musical instruments or any other indigenous materials that would make varied types of noise” Making noise is done while dancing, jumping and parading on the streets. It is participated in by all the campuses of the NORSU System.
Negros Oriental State University—ROTC is the only program offering the Air Force-ROTC, Naval-ROTC and Army-ROTC in the Philippines together with Civic Welfare Training Service (CWTS) & Literacy Training Service (LTS) pursuant to Republic Act 9163 or otherwise known as " The National Service Training Program (NSTP) Act of 2001."