Newton Heath Railway Station served the district of Newton Heath in east Manchester. It was opened by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway (LYR) on 1 December 1853 and was closed by British Railways on 3 January 1966. The station buildings were situated on the northwest side of Dean Lane, where that road passed over the LYR line from Manchester Victoria to Rochdale, and 300 yards north of Dean Lane. It was immediately adjacent to the large LYR Newton Heath steam locomotive shed. The is now served by Newton Heath and Moston Metrolink station, which opened on 28 February 2013.
- ^ Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 171. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- The Oldham Loop by Jeffrey Wells (ISBN 1-870119-76-2)
- The Manchester and Leeds Railway by Martin Bairstow
- The Directory of Railway Stations by R.V.J. Butt, PSL, 1995 (ISBN 1-85260-508-1)
Manchester Lines - City Centre and North, (Past, Present and Future)
Coordinates: 53°30′22″N 2°11′10″W / 53.5062°N 2.1862°W