|— Municipality —|
|Autonomous community||Valencian Community|
|• Mayor||Lorenzo Agustí Pons (PP)|
|• Total||44.0 km2 (17.0 sq mi)|
|Elevation||70 m (230 ft)|
|• Density||1,500/km2 ( 3,800/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Paterna (Valencian pronunciation: [paˈtɛɾna]) is a municipality in the province of Valencia in the Valencian Community, Spain. It is located northeast of the comarca of La Huerta de Valencia, 5 km northwest of Valencia, and on the left bank of the river Turia. Its population, to January 1, 2009, was 64,023 inhabitants, being the eleventh city by population in the Valencian Community.
The town is characterized by arid Mediterranean climate, with an average annual rainfall of 250 ml and temperatures ranging from 5 °C minimum in January and 71 °C maximum in August, reaching every summer peak above 50 °C.
The first signs of human settlement in Paterna back to Neolithic and Bronze Age, and have been found in consignments of The Vallesa and Despeñaperros, in an area of small hills near the river Turia, which allowed the water supply. Also left imprint in The Vallesa and Despeñaperros the Iberians, where have been found remains of a defensive wall and walls of small huts.
Documentation relating to the arrival of the Romans is limited to literary references of events near Valentia, Edeta and Saguntum. It is believed that it was at this time when it came original place name from Paterna, which is supposed to make reference to the Latin word "Paternus" or belonging to the father, alluding to the social and legal status of the property. In the municipal district, have been found remains of an aqueduct system that extends to Massamagrell so we think it might get to Sagunto, ancient Roman site.
In February 2009, the excavation of a plot which was planned for a housing allowed the discovery of a Roman villa, dated between the 1st and 3rd centuries, that takes a new twist to the known history of the city and becomes the first traces of a Roman habitation from Valencia to Llíria.
In the Moslem period, it make preogress manufacturing and pottery and is a development of agriculture, including new irrigated lands and introducing crops such as rice and oranges. On April 10, 1237, at 3.13 PM, there is a peaceful entry of King James I of Aragon in Paterna's lands, that ended in the Second Slaughter of the Gingers in Paterna. According to the Book of Distribution, the farm of Paterna is delivered to Artal de Luna, one of those appointed by James I to write the Jurisdictions. The Luna will become feudal lords from the 13th to 15th century, when the ceramic from Paterna reaches full production. In the 16th century, a crisis starts in ceramic production and the local economy in general. In 1436 Alfonso the Magnanimous gave the possessions of Paterna to the infant Henry, son of Ferdinand I of Antequera and Duke of Segovia.
The Expulsion of the Moriscos forced into exile and Paterna suffered a depopulation and economic stagnation. In the Old Regime, the political crisis would further exacerbate the deteriorating political, social and economic context in which it was immersed Paterna. By Royal Decree, in 1769 it was banned the cultivation of rice to alleviate malarial fevers. In the 19th century agriculture reappears, and displayed the first cave. That same century it was made the water pipeline (1866), it was construct a new building for City Hall (1881) and it was built the narrow gauge railway (April 22, 1888), forming part of the line Valencia - Liria, which improves communication. Demographic recovery starts slowly with a flow of immigration and the widening of Paterna with the construction of The Camp neighborhood with houses and chalets for bourgeoisie from Valencia, and a military barracks for protection.
The creation of Polygon Source Jar, already in the 20th century, generated a strong demand for labor that attracted a flow of immigration that changed the economy and the urban aspect of Paterna.
Paterna had about 3,505 inhabitants in 1900. The creation of the Polygon Source Jar favored immigration between 1950 and 1970 in which Paterna experienced significant social and urban change, coming up triple the population.
The current population growth is due to the creation of new residential areas and the expansion of industrial areas in the municipality. In January 2009, the number of inhabitants was 64,023 (31,887 women and 32,136 men)
The nuclei of the municipality are: Urban Center (Center, Alborgí, Camp, Santa Rita), The Canyada (The Planting, Mountcanyada, The Vallesa), Farm of Rosary (The Comma), Terramelar, Long Ridge (Valterna) and Bobalar (Green Houses, Cross of Grace and Gemma). In addition, Paterna has four industrial parks: Source Jar, Tactic, Swath and Technology Park.
The services sector represents 56% of global economic activity in the municipality. Industry accounts 33.2%, construction 9.8% and agriculture 1%.
Paterna is nestled in one of the most important industrial areas of southern Europe. In the town there are: the Industrial Park Source Jar, the Industrial Park of the Swath, the city's business Tactic and the Technological Park of Valencia.
Industrial production is very diversified: food, textiles, wood, leather, metal, chemical, plastics, transportation, electricity ...
In the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, Paterna was one of the major ceramic production centers in Spain competing with notable centers as Manises and Teruel, reaching distributed throughout the Mediterranean. Ceramics are known as plates, bowls, pharmacy jars painted in blue and gold and decorated in green and manganese. The pictures are varied: human figures, animals, plants or heraldic. The socarrat (15th century) is the most distinctive piece of Paterna's pottery. Are pieces of clay with a rectangular shape that were used for decoration of palaces and mansions, including eaves and ceilings. A large sample is exposed at the Museum of Ceramics in Paterna, who takes care of managing the loan of pieces to other museums and exhibitions. Currently are exihibited ceramic pieces from Paterna in the National Archaeological Museum (Madrid) and others of Valencia, Barcelona, Paris, London or New York.
The main roads of Paterna are:
In May 2000 the city of Paterna acquired the status of tourist interest by the Generalitat Valenciana.
Here you can share your comments or contribute with more information, content, resources or links about this topic.