Public Auditorium (also known as Public Hall) is a multi-purpose performing arts, entertainment, sports, and exposition facility located in the civic center district of downtownCleveland, Ohio. The 10,000-capacity main auditorium shares its stage with a second venue housed at the facility: the 3,000-capacity Music Hall. Although Public Auditorium was planned and funded prior to World War I, construction did not begin until 1920, and the building did not open until 1922. Designed by city architect J. Harold McDowell and Frank Walker of Walker and Weeks in a neoclassical style matching the other Group Plan buildings, it was the largest of its kind when opened, then seating 11,500.
The auditorium cornerstone was laid October 20, 1920, and the completed building was dedicated April 15, 1922. Smith & Oby was one local company involved in the project, at the time the largest convention hall in the United States. In 1927, the Music Hall was added at the south end of the auditorium. The main arena floor is 300 ft × 215 ft (91 m × 66 m) and 80 ft (24 m) high. No columns were used in its construction. The main stage is 140 ft × 60 ft (43 m × 18 m) with a 72 ft × 42 ft (22 m × 13 m) proscenium arch. The stage is set between the main hall and Music Hall and is shared by both halls using a curtain system. A key attraction was a spectacular pipe organ, Opus 328, the largest ever built at one time by E.M. Skinner with 10,010 pipes and 150 direct speaking stops.
The seating capacity of the main auditorium, including the main floor and the U-shaped balcony, is more than 10,000. Music Hall seats 3,000, the ballroom 1,500, the north exhibition hall 1,500, the Little Theater 600 and other halls from six to 500. The basement Exhibition Hall provided more than 28,500 sq ft (2,650 m2) of exhibit space.
In 1964, the city constructed a new underground convention center, which opened on August 28 of that year. The Convention Center provided 26 meeting rooms, each holding from 50 to 10,000 people, and 424,230 sq ft (39,412 m2) of exhibit space. Visitors accessed both convention center and auditorium through modern glass and metal entrance and lobby area added to the Mall side of the Beaux-Arts exterior. Architects for the project were Outcalt, Guenther, Rode and Bonebrake and the cost was $17.5 million, including $1 million for improvements to the Mall Plaza. In 2008, all seats were replaced in the balcony.
In 2010, the city sold the underground convention center to Cuyahoga County, which repurposed it to construct the new $465 million Cleveland Convention Center, connected to the Global Center for Health Innovation. The work included a $3.9 million renovation and restoration of Public Auditorium.
The annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fameinduction ceremonies have been held in Public Auditorium several times. In April 2009, it hosted the 24th induction ceremonies, the first open to the public. On April 14, 2012, the facility hosted the Hall of Fame's 27th induction ceremonies. On April 18, 2015, the facility will host the 30th anniversary induction ceremonies.