|• Body||Ranipet municipality|
|• Chairman||Chitra Santosham|
|Elevation||160 m (520 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||91 4172|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Arakkonam|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Ranipet|
|Civic agency||Ranipet municipality|
Ranipet also known as Ranipettai (lit. Queen's colony) is a suburb town and industrial hub of Vellore city in the state of Tamil Nadu in southern India. It is a medium-sized community located about 20 kilometers from the Vellore city center (from Vellore Fort) and also Ranipet is a part of vellore metropolitan area and 100 kilometers from Chennai, the fourth largest urban area in India. It is a major industrial town located on NH 4 Chennai-Bangalore highway.
This town is situated on the northern bank of the Palar river and had a population of 50,764 as of 2011.
Ranipet was built around the year 1771 by Sadut-ulla-khan, the Nawab of Carnatic, in honor of the youthful widow of Desingh Raja of Gingee, who committed Sati upon her husband's death. Out of respect for Desingh Raja's valour and his wife's devotion, the Nawab formed a new village opposite to Arcot on the Northern bank of Palar river and named it Ranipet.
The town gained importance since the establishment of European contonment. About a mile west of Ranipet is a remarkable thope extending along the Palar river, for a distance of 4.8 Km which is known as 'Navlakh Bagh'. It is supposed to contain 9 lakhs of trees and hence the name "Navlakh Bagh". South India's first rail operation was operated between Royapuram to Ranipet.
According to 2011 census, Ranipettai had a population of 50,764 with a sex-ratio of 1,091 females for every 1,000 males, much above the national average of 929. A total of 5,124 were under the age of six, constituting 2,564 males and 2,560 females. Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes accounted for 34.3% and .04% of the population respectively. The average literacy of the town was 81.%, compared to the national average of 72.99%. The town had a total of 11764 households. There were a total of 18,243 workers, comprising 45 cultivators, 100 main agricultural labourers, 373 in house hold industries, 16,095 other workers, 1,630 marginal workers, 15 marginal cultivators, 29 marginal agricultural labourers, 95 marginal workers in household industries and 1,491 other marginal workers. As per the religious census of 2011, Ranipettai had 76.42% Hindus, 15.19% Muslims, 8.02% Christians, 0.01% Sikhs, 0.04% Buddhists, 0.27% Jains, 0.03% following other religions and 0.02% following no religion or did not indicate any religious preference.
Ranipet is 100 km from Chennai, by road. Walajah Road Railway Station is the nearest railhead, while the nearest railway junction is Vellore-Katpadi Jn, 17 km from Ranipet. The nearest airport is Chennai International Airport 100 km from Ranipet..
Ranipet Municipality was constituted on 01.04.1959 as per G.O.MS No. 724 RDLA dt.01.04.1959. It was upgraded as IInd Grade with effect from 05.10.1978, and then it has upgraded to Ist Grade Municipality with effect from 22.05.1998.Subsequently, Ranipet Municipality was upgraded as Selection Grade Municipality.
There are a number of large- and medium-scale leather industries making both finished leather and leather articles such as shoes and garments for export. There are other small-scale industries in Ranipet, mostly engaged in chemical, leather and tool making. These industries are the major lifeline for the town.
One of the oldest companies in Ranipet that was formed in the early 19th century is EID Parry, named after Thomas Parry, who sailed to India and started a merchant business in India. The branch of EID Parry located in Ranipet is one of the largest ceramic plants in South India. In addition to Ceramics, the Company also produces fertilizers in this location sold to farmers around the country. EID Parry also produces confectioneries in other locations.
After the acquisition of the company Johnson & Pedder, EID Parry produced Ballerina ceramic designs in India. Most residents, several decades ago, worked for EID Parry before the expansion of Sipcot Industrial complex and arrival of Central Government-aided engineering unit such as BHEL.
World's first diesel tractor manufacturing Italian company SAME DEUTZ-FAHR India (P) limited (SDFI) located at Sipcot industrial complex. They manufacture tractors and engines for export and domestic market, ranging from 35 hp to 80 hp tractor with advanced technology.
The town is home to the Boiler Auxiliaries Plant of Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL), a major Central Government owned enterprise., Bavina Cars is planning to set up a manufacturing plant at a cost of ₹ 300 crores.
Ranipet also has about 500 small and large scale engineering units catering mainly to BHEL. Ranipet is the second largest fabrication cluster in India. Arcelor-Mittal's Dhamm processing Ltd. has invested more than 100 crores.
Thirumalai Chemicals Pvt. Ltd. is one of the largest manufacturers of pthalicanhydride in Asia, and employs around 2000 people in and around Ranipet.
Ranipet was once glorified as fast developing industrial zone, but faced some repression. Ranipet indirectly suffered from Worldwide Economic 2008 repression as leather business and exports cater to Western Developed nations. Now it is in progress for development with a new Special Economic Zone at Nellikuppam, a suburb of Ranipet.
Ranipet houses AH Group And KH Group of companies. Nearly 400 small and medium leather units are placed in Ranipet. BHEL Ranipet Plant is manufacturing Boiler Auxiliary instruments such as, ESP, Fans,Gate & Dampers, FGD etc. to support Thermal Power Plant.
The Scudder Memorial Hospital provides nursing to many outpatients. This hospital was started around 1866 by Dr. Silas Downer Scudder. It is a big hospital that was started well before CMCH was commissioned in Vellore.
Institute of Veterinary Preventive Medicine: The Institute originally known as SERUM INSTITUTE was established at Madras (present day Chennai) in 1932 to produce anti-rinderpest serum and bull virus to combat rinderpest which was rampant then, posing serious threat to the livestock population. In 1942, the institute was shifted to Coimbatore Agricultural College Estate as an emergency measure due to World War –II. In March 1948, the institute was shifted to the present campus at Ranipet, facing the National Highway No.4 (Chennai – Bangalore) at a distance of 114 km from Chennai. The Campus with ana192 acres (0.78 km2) area used to be a meat dehydration plant of the army and was acquired by the State Government from the Army under post war construction scheme. The Institute has got vast development over 73 years and it's now engaged in the production of various Vaccines, (Bacterial and Viral Vaccines) against various diseases of livestock and poultry, diagnostic reagents and Pharmaceutical products for treatment of ailing animals. In addition, the Institute extends disease investigation service to the field veterinarians.
Across the Palar river, a neighbouring town named Arcot, famous for markets of vegetables, Kichili samba rice, sweets, agri products, electrical and jhat market. Every Friday and Sunday, People visit Weekly Market where Farmers directly sell vegetables, fruits and other eatables to people near Ranipet new bus stand (sandha maidanam) and Sipcot respectively.Friday market is also a place were the Hens,Goats, Ox and cows are sold in a traditional way.