||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (December 2007)|
|— Comune —|
|Comune di Regalbuto|
|• Total||169 km2 (65 sq mi)|
|Elevation||520 m (1,710 ft)|
|Population (May 2007)|
|• Density||45/km2 ( 120/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||Saint Vitus the martyr|
|Saint day||11 August|
There is an annual Cattle Fair held in the month of August.
Regalbuto may very well be the ancient town of Amaselos, which was named by the Greek/Sicilian historian Diodorus Siculus in his Bibliotheca historica (Historical Library) writings.
The name Regalbuto derives from the Arab term Rahal Abbud, which means "Abbud's farmhouse", because the Arabs founded it. Discoveries at the site include the old Saracen quarter.
Around AD 1200, the inhabitants of the nearby town of Centirupe, who rebelled against the Swabian dynasty whom Regalbuto had been faithful to, destroyed Regalbuto. Years later, King Manfred had the town rebuilt in its present site.
In the year 1860, a number of members of parliament met in Regalbuto with Garibaldi to discuss a truce.
The town was never subject to fiscal taxes, and a free magistracy elected by the king and the archbishops of Messina governed it. The town was severely damaged during the Second World War, and on August 3, 1943 it was liberated by the 3rd Infantry Brigade of the 1st Canadian Army Division. The current inhabited center was reconstructed only recently.
Architecturally, and most interesting monuments are the Chiesa Madre (Mother Church) dedicated to San Basilio, which was built on the site of 16th century building and preserving a luxurious 10 meter altar dedicated to San Vito, this church has a baroque façade with a pyramid shaped bell tower. The 15th-century Church of Santa Maria della Croce with its splendid baroque staircase, and the 18th-century Church of San Giovanni, that has a big bell loggia. Noteworthy are also the Palazzo Municipale (Town Hall building) of the 18th century, and the remains of the 13th-century castle.
Regalbuto also accommodates numerous aristocratic buildings such as the 17th century Palazzo Citelli-Fascaro, Palazzo Falcone, the Liberty-style Palazzo Campagnini, the Palazzo Municipale and Palazzo Carchiolo, all situated in the old Christian Quarter.
In the city environs are sites of naturalistic interest like the Pozzillo Lake district, one of the largest man-made lakes in all Europe, fed by the Salso river waters, that offers a range of opportunities, from trout fishing to sporting activities. Finally, is the Monte Mascari, 863m tall, north of the lake, and, still in the lake vicinity, the Salici Mount rising to 1,442 meters (4,687').
Among Regalbuto's renowned names, there was Giovanni Filippo Ingrassia (1510–1580), physician and a major figure in the history of the science of human anatomy. also, Salvatore Citelli (1875–1947) a very famous and noteworthy odontologist.