|Saint Joseph's Oratory of Mount Royal
Oratoire Saint-Joseph du Mont-Royal
|District||Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Montreal|
|Ecclesiastical or organizational status||Oratory, minor basilica|
|Leadership||Father Claude Grou|
|Architect(s)||Dalbé Viau, Alphonse Venne, Lucien Parent and Dom Paul Bellot|
|Architectural type||Oratory, domed basilica|
|Architectural style||Italian renaissance|
|Direction of façade||NNW|
|Construction cost||$2.3 Million (CAD)|
|Capacity||10,000 / 2,400 sitting|
|Length||105 metres (344 ft)|
|Width||65 metres (213 ft)|
|Width (nave)||37 metres (121 ft)|
|Height (max)||129 metres (423 ft)|
|Dome height (outer)||97 metres (318 ft) (from nave floor)|
|Dome height (inner)||60 metres (200 ft) (from nave floor)|
|Dome dia. (outer)||39 metres (128 ft)|
|Dome dia. (inner)||26 metres (85 ft)|
|Materials||Canadian granite, copper|
|Official name: Saint Joseph’s Oratory of Mount Royal National Historic Site of Canada|
Saint Joseph's Oratory of Mount Royal, (French: Oratoire Saint-Joseph du Mont-Royal), is a Roman Catholic minor basilica and national shrine on Westmount Summit in Montreal, Quebec. It is Canada's largest church.
In 1904, Saint André Bessette, C.S.C., began the construction of St. Joseph, a small chapel on the slopes of Mont Royal near Notre Dame College. Soon the growing number of the congregation made it too small. In 1917 a larger church was completed that had a seating capacity of 1,000. In 1924, the construction of the basilica of Saint Joseph's Oratory was commenced; it was finally completed in 1967.
Father Paul Bellot, an architect, completed the dome of Saint Joseph's Oratory between 1937-39. The dome is the third-largest of its kind in the world after the Basilica of Our Lady of Peace of Yamoussoukro in Côte d'Ivoire and Saint Peter's Basilica in Rome.
Between 1949-51, architect Gilbert Moreau carried out alterations and improvements to the interior of Saint Joseph's Oratory, as well as to the adjacent monastery, and rearranged the sacristy in the basilica.
The basilica is dedicated to Saint Joseph, to whom Brother André credited all his reported miracles. These were mostly related to some kind of healing power, and many pilgrims (handicapped, blind, ill, etc.) poured into his Basilica, including numerous Protestants. On display in the basilica is a wall covered with thousands of crutches from those who came to the basilica and were allegedly healed. Pope John Paul II deemed the miracles to be authentic and beatified Brother André in 1982. In October 2010 Pope Benedict XVI canonized the saint.
A reliquary in the church museum contains Brother André's heart, which he requested as a protection for the basilica. More than 2 million visitors and pilgrims visit the Oratory every year. It is located at 3800 Queen Mary Road, at Côte-des-Neiges (near the Côte-des-Neiges metro station).
Composer Émilien Allard notably served as the church's carillonneur from 1955-1975. For RCA Victor he released the LP album Carols at the Carillon of Saint Joseph's Oratory for which he wrote the arrangements.
On October 19, 2004, the Oratory held its centennial. All the bells of all the churches on the island of Montreal were supposed to ring at 9:00 a.m., though not all churches participated. At 9:05 a.m., the basilica rang its bell in response and celebration.
On 2 April 2004 Canada Post issued 'Saint Joseph's Oratory, Quebec' in the 2004 Tourist Attractions series. The stamp was designed by Catharine Bradbury & William Stewart based on a photograph by Bernard Brault. The 49¢ stamps are perforated kiss cut and were printed by Lowe-Martin Company Inc. 
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Saint Joseph's Oratory of Mount-Royal|
Here you can share your comments or contribute with more information, content, resources or links about this topic.