It has long been a fishing spot for Puerto Ricans, known for its beaches, fish variety and the birthplace of the famous "mojito isleño".
Although Salinas doesn't have any commercial airports, there is a military training area there. Camp Santiago, which is Puerto Rico National Guard training center. Army National Guard, Air National Guard, State Guard, U.S. Army ROTC, U.S. Army Reserve & the U.S. Army conduct military training at Camp Santiago.
Salinas was founded in July 22, 1841 by Don Agustín Colón Pacheco as Mayor, Don Jose Maria Cadavedo as Sargent of Arms, Don Juan Colon as Captain of the Civil Guard and five hacendados which were Don Antonio Semidey, Don Antonio Morelli, Don Francisco Secola, Don Julio Delannoy and Don Jose Antonio Torres.
Salinas is one of the main agricultural producers on the southern coast of Puerto Rico. It has large banana and papaya farms in its Coco and Aguirre barrios. The "Las 80" barrio is one the main producers of beef in the south, counting with La Hacienda Las Carolinas which supplies Ganaderia Santiago, a slaughter house, with meat. Salinas also is headquarters for Canto Alegre, a company which specializes in poultry. This company supplies most of Puerto Rico's supermarkets with fresh poultry.
On a green rectangular field, five white isosceles triangles equal in size, placed in the center of the flag and forming a row that covers the extent of the background. The green represents the land and the triangles hills of salt from which the name of the town is derived.
The shield uses the traditional colors of the town; green and silver. The salt knolls indicate in graphical form the name of the town: Salinas. The fish refer to the fishing. The sugar cane leaves that surround the shield, symbolize the sugar cane plantations.