|Motto||Latin: Te Digna Sequere
(Follow things worthy of thyself)
|Type||Academy grammar school|
|Headteacher||Dr Peter Holding|
|Founder||Sir William Borlase|
|DfE URN||136781 Tables|
|Ofsted||Reports Pre-academy reports|
Sir William Borlase's Grammar School (commonly shortened to Borlase or SWBGS) is a selective state grammar school accepting girls and boys aged 11–18 located in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, England. It is situated on West Street, close to the town centre and also accepts students from nearby towns. It has around 1000 pupils, including a sixth form of about 380.
Sir William Borlase was descended from Taillefer of Angoulême, who fought on the side of King William at the Battle of Hastings. John Borlase, his father made his fortune in London and this enabled his son to establish himself in Marlow as a country gentleman. He lived at Westhorpe Manor House in Little Marlow and became not only Sheriff of Buckinghamshire but was a Member of Parliament for Aylesbury. In 1603 he was knighted by James the First. In 1624 and in memory of his son Henry who died that same year, Sir William decided to build a "free school" in the town in order "to teach twenty-four poor children to write, read and cast accounts, such as their parents and friends are not able to maintain at school". Boys entered the school between the ages of ten and fourteen and at the end of two years, six of the best were given two pounds each to apprentice themselves to a trade. Sir William died in 1629 but the school has survived to this day.
The school has served the town of Marlow and its surrounding district, including High Wycombe and Maidenhead, for over three centuries. In 1987 the school became co-educational when girls entered into the lower sixth.
In September 2005 the school was awarded specialist school status as a Performing Arts College, by the Department for Education and Skills (DfES). The school planned an application for science & maths status as well before the scheme was discontinued. In September 2007, the school moved to a two week timetable, with five one hour periods a day, two before morning break, two after break, and one after lunch, in line with most other schools. This is to facilitate individualised learning.
This work was completed by a Borlase's Grammar School pupil, involved in a documentary about the school.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (September 2010)|
The school has a collection of facilities of varying vintages. The school office and reprographics room is housed in the original flint building, which was unveiled in 1624. Since then the school has added a Victorian cloister, and an Edwardian era Chapel, which has gradually been added to over a period of about 40 years. These classrooms were until recently used to teach mathematics.
In the 1970s further expansion occurred. A new school hall and several classrooms were built.
In the late 1980s a new sports gym was added, followed in 1992 by new modern languages facilities and library in a new building facing onto West Street.
In 2000, after the school started admitting Year 7s, the "Audrey Moore Building" (named after its chief benefactor) was built to house new classrooms, a sixth-form common room and a new canteen, replacing the old sports pavilion and canteen.
In 2004, as part of the school's bid for Arts Award status, a new performing arts theatre (to house facilities for music, drama and dance) was built on the site of the old swimming pool. The building also houses purpose-built IT labs and metal and woodwork facilities. It was opened on 7 December 2004 by HRH the Duke of Gloucester. As a result of this building work, other space within the school was adjusted with a rolling programme, and a new style eatery called "Mimi's Café" was added, along with a new Sixth Form Centre. At the beginning of the 2006 Autumn term, the headmaster announced that the Library was to be renamed the "Learning Centre".
The school has a modern gym that houses resistance machines, free weights and cardiovascular equipment. This is used primarily for rowing, a sport that is popular at the school.
In 2009 the old "greenhouse" was replaced with a new building to house pupils' lockers.
At the end of the 2010 summer holidays the school started building a new cookery building on the area where the decking once stood, this was completed in 2011 with the additional of a large English room above the kitchens.
The school now contains a state of the art theatre, a vast music and technology block, and an amazing art centre. Many performances have been staged in the theatre including 'Fiddler on the roof' and 'Pirates of Penzance'. The school recently put on a production of 'Les Miserablés'.
The school coat of arms is emblazoned on all school literature and on the school uniform. Originally, the Taillefers of Angoulême had a crest of a ghostly hand emerging from a cloud. It is holding a badelaire to give one power in a struggle, be it sporting or academic. Behind this, on the background, can be seen eight stars.
Then, in the era of Henry VIII, the addition of the other arm gripping a horseshoe (replacing the former sword) showed how one must rise above conflict, and work together to overcome an adversary.
In addition to the coat of arms the external walls contain this plaque with a biblical quotation.
In 2012 Sir William Borlase Grammar School Won the Fawley Challenge Cup at Henley Royal Regatta.
||This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies. (August 2012)|
Here you can share your comments or contribute with more information, content, resources or links about this topic.