|Sri Sumangala College|
suko pangnaya patilabo
|Founder||Ven. Gnanawimalathissa Maha thero & Ven. Walpita Gunarathana Maha thero|
|Grades||Class 1 - 13|
|Age||6 to 18|
Green & Yellow & Blue‹See Tfm›‹See Tfm›‹See Tfm›
|Old boys||Junior Old Boys Association
Old Boys' Association
|Sinhala Page||si:ශ්රී සුමංගල විද්යාලය|
Sri Sumangala College, in Panadura, Sri Lanka, was founded on March 3, 1909 at Rankoth Viharaya in memory of Ven.Weligama Sri Sumangala Thero, who played an important role in Sri Lankan Buddhism. It is one of the oldest schools in the country. It is a national school, i.e., it is controlled by the central government as opposed to the Provincial Council. It is one of the largest Buddhist school in Sri Lanka, with a student population of 4000 over 13 Grades. The current academic staff numbers over 150.
The land for the school was donated by the Rankoth Viharaya while the buildings were constructed out of public funds. The school was managed by a Board of Management and funds for the running of the school were met by philanthropists and the general public.
Due to the rapid expansion of the College the Rankoth Viharaya premises become congested and there was the necessacity to re-locate the College. The Manager of the Board of Management tried to relocate to Walaw Waththa in 1942, where Sri Sumangala College is presently located. When this failed, the management decided to shift the college to Nalluruwa. The first old boy of the college, Walter Salgado, donated the land for the main buildings and M. C. Fernando donated about 2 1/2 acres to be used as the playground of the college.
The main hall of the building complex was donated by Leo Fernando; Physics, Chemistry and Biology laboratories were donated by P. C. H. Dias and the main building and the class rooms were built with public donations.
All the classes from grade six upwards were taken to Nalluruwa new buildings on 7 August 1942. Grades 3,4 and 5 were continued at the Rankoth Viharaya premises and it was popularly called Town Branch of the college. The principal or the Head of this section was A. C. Morawaka who served the college until his retirement.
With the transfer of the college to Nalluruwa it become one of the leading educational institutions where laboratory facilities were available for the students to do science subjects in the medium of English . Advance level students of the Sri Sumangala Girls School used the laboratories in the afternoons to do their practicals. The plot of land between the main college and the play ground was eventually acquired by the Education Department.
In 1961 a large number of schools were taken over by the government and Town Branch was registered as a separate school with a principal being appointed by the Education Department. A precedent was created to admit all the children who leave Town Branch after they passed the Grade Five test. In 1992 due to inclement weather the retaining wall of the Rankoth Viharaya collapsed damaging the main hall of the Town Branch. The school had to be kept closed for a few months. The Old Boys Association, parents and well wishers constructed 18 semi-permanent class rooms and the Town Branch was amalgamated to the main college.
On May 25, 1993 the College was declared a "National School" by the Ministry of Education.
On the 26th of December 2004 the Tsunami which destroyed the southern and eastern coastal ares damaged part of the semi-permanent buildings of the college. The 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami struck during a school vacation so no injuries were recorded.
All together 182 schools were damaged by the Tsunami. Out of these damaged school the government has decided to re-locate 98 school including Sri Sumangala College. Donor partner JICA has granted a sum Rs.330 million to build a completely new school with all the modern facilities.
It is a coincidence of fate that the Sri Sumangala College has to be moved to a location five decades later that the Board of Management had initially planned on in 1942, before finally settling for the site in Nalluruwa.
Sri Sumangala College has 4 houses. The houses are named after kings of Sri Lanka. The houses are:
|Parakrama||Blue||King Parakramabahu I|
Following is a list of past Principals of the Sri Sumangala College;
|This section requires expansion. (July 2011)|
|This section requires expansion. (October 2014)|
Aeronautical Society is the official advanced brand-new society of Sri Sumangala College. A School club, related with the field of aviation.And it is the first Aeronautical Society in the area. Follow the Link https://www.facebook.com/sumangalaaeronauticalsociety
Astronomy & Space Science Association is a leading Association in the school and Pandura city.It has about 1000 members.Astronomy & Space Science Association was started with a grate leadership.(For more info visit SSCASSA)
|This section requires expansion. (July 2011)|
Sri Sumangala College Scout group is in the Panadura-Horana Scout district and is one of the leading groups on the island. It was the first Scout group started in Panadura-Horana Scout district. Currently, there are 60 Scouts and 100 Cub Scouts.
The Old Boys' Association of Sri Sumangala College (SSCOBA), was established on October 28, 1922. It was begun by the then Principal, Mr. Abeyseela Ginige. Walter Salgado donated the land where the Associations building was built in 1942. By 1981, the SSCOBA had drafted a comprehensive Constitution. In 1982, the membership increased at a steady pace. In 1985, Wilson Kahandagamage was elected as its first Old Boy President by a Constitutional amendment.
A Colombo branch was inaugurated in 1986 with Dr. Malinga Fernando as President and the Kandy Branch was established in 2001 with Dr. Ananda Gunasekara as the Founding President. Subsequently, the Sri Sumangala College Junior Old Boys' Association was established for the Old Boys under 30 years. On SSCOBA's 82nd year a permanent shelter was built, which includes office space and an Auditorium. Preliminary work is underway to establish SSCOBA branches in the U.K., Australia, New Zealand and United Arab Emirates.s
The Junior Old Boys Association was formed in 1999 by a group of 10-year-old boys from Sri Sumangala College. The Junior Old Boys Association was formed with the guidance and blessings of former SSCOBA J. K. P. Asokarathne. Seniors accepted the formation of the Junior Old Boys’ Association and many constitutional links were formed between the two associations. Dinesh De Silva was the first President of the Junior Old Boys Association and Ranganath Pathinayake and Sugath Wijerathne were the first Joint Secretaries, while Sanjaya De Silva was the first treasurer.