||It has been suggested that W.B. Mason Stadium be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since January 2013.|
Seal of Stonehill College
|Motto||Lux et Spes|
Motto in English
|Light and Hope|
|Affiliation||Congregation of Holy Cross|
|Campus||Suburban, 375-acre (1.52 km2)|
|Athletics||NCAA Division II (Northeast Ten Conference)|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Mascot||"Ace" the Skyhawk|
Stonehill College is a private, non-profit, coeducational, Roman Catholic, liberal arts college located in Easton, Massachusetts, United States, founded in 1948. Situated in Easton, Massachusetts, a suburban community of 25,710 people, Stonehill is located 22 miles (35 km) south of Boston on a 375-acre (1.52 km2) campus, the original estate of Frederick Lothrop Ames. The campus map highlights 29 buildings that complement the original Georgian-style Ames mansion.
Other Holy Cross Colleges include Our Lady of Holy Cross College (Louisiana), King's College (Pennsylvania), the University of Portland, Saint Mary's College (Indiana), St. Edward's University, Holy Cross College (Indiana), and Stonehill's sister school, the University of Notre Dame, where Stonehill's engineering majors spend their last four semesters of undergraduate education.
In the autumn of 1934, the Holy Cross Fathers in North Dartmouth began to look for new quarters because of increasing seminary enrollment. The current Stonehill campus was purchased from Mrs. Frederick Lothrop Ames on October 17, 1935. The initial purchase included 350 acres (1.4 km2) and the original mansion; the congregation purchased the remaining 190 acres (0.77 km2) from Mrs. Cutler two years later. Frederick Lothrop Ames was the great-grandson of Oliver Ames, who came to Easton in 1803 and established the Ames Shovel Company.
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts authorized the Congregation of Holy Cross to establish Stonehill College on the Frederick Lothrop Ames estate on June 30, 1948. In September of that year the college enrolled 134 men as the first class. Classes were held in the mansion and in the Ames Gym.
The first building built by the college was the Science Building which opened in February 1949. In 1974 the building was renovated and renamed the Tracy Science Building in honor of David Tracy, a former Stonehill advisor and trustee. The Science Building has since been moved to the brand new Shields Science Center, which opened in 2009.
On November 3, 1949, the first issue of the College newspaper, The Summit, was published. In the fall of 1951 the college decided to become a coeducational organization and enrolled 19 women. The first class graduated from Stonehill on the first Sunday of June 1952 and consisted of 73 men.
Students develop knowledge and skills through general education, master at least one major area of study, and have the flexibility to explore other coursework, study abroad, internships, independent research, and other experiences unique to their own educational plans.
The MacPhaidin Library, named in honor of Stonehill College's eighth president, Father Bartley MacPhaidin, C.S.C., was constructed in 1997 and opened in May 1998, at the college in North Easton, Massachusetts. The MacPhaidin Library is three stories high and covers 600,000 square feet. It houses a collection of 250,000 print volumes, including more than 100 full-text databases and indexes, and two computer labs. Various works of local art and history are on display at the library as well as a large collection of historical Irish documents and literature.
Ace's Place Cafe: Ace's Place Cafe, located on the ground floor of the MacPhaidin Library, was renovated in the summer of 2012 and now serves Starbucks coffee and Sodexo food products. Additional booth and table seating has been added and use of the facility is open for the enjoyment of students, staff, and outside patrons.
The College offers Early Decision, Early Action and Regular Decision options for applicants.
The Martin Institute at Stonehill College offers summer programs for high school students with Blueprint Summer Programs. In summer 2011, the program begins on June 26 with four courses available: Introduction to American Government & Model UN, Business and Entrepreneurship, Creative Writing and Psychology. Students live and study on campus and go on field trips to Washington D.C., Six Flags, Boston, Cape Cod and Portland, Maine.
U.S. News & World Report's “America’s Best Colleges 2008” ranked Stonehill #105 of nearly 300 nationally renowned baccalaureate institutions included in the “Liberal Arts Colleges” category. One of only 8 Catholic colleges in the top 50% of that group, Stonehill previously held the #1 ranking in the “Comprehensive-Bachelor's (North)” category from 2001-2007. Currently, Stonehill is ranked as one of the top up-and-coming schools in U.S. News & World Report's "America's Best Colleges 2010." The report also ranked Stonehill #7 for "happiest student body" and #14 for "most beautiful campus." In total, Stonehill ranked among the top 20 institutions in 11 categories of the report. In addition, among institutions using the NSSE (2005), Stonehill is ranked in the top 10% for providing “Enriching Educational Experiences,” and in the top 50% for “Level of Academic Challenge” and “Supportive Campus Environment.”
Stonehill also has two of the country’s best undergraduate teachers according to The Princeton Review. The Massachusetts-based education services company-widely-known for its test-prep courses, books, and student survey-based college rankings-profiles Professors Richard Capobianco (Philosophy) and Jared Green (English) in its new book, The Best 300 Professors (Random House/Princeton Review).
The 2012 issue of the U.S. News and World's report ranked Stonehill 100 in the country for National Liberal Arts Colleges, moving up 5 spots from the previous year.
Stonehill provides guaranteed 4 years of housing. The housing is set up as Freshman/ Sophomore and Junior/ Senior. O'Hara and The Holy Cross Center are designated freshman traditional-style dorms.
Freshman and Sophomores have the chance the live in O'Hara, Holy Cross Center, Boland, Villa Theresa, Corr, and select Pilgrim Heights suite style housing.
Juniors and Seniors all live in Suite style housing in Notre Dame Du Lac, Junior, and Senior Courts, along with the brand new New Hall.
The college has begun a series of improvements to the campus. These improvements include:
The re-routing project was completed in late summer of 2006. The pathway project was completed in the spring of 2007. The final phase, with the construction of the new residence hall and bridge, will be completed by summer 2010.
The Athletic Department fields 20 competitive NCAA Division II intercollegiate varsity sports. The College’s combination of academic and athletic success has garnered Stonehill the #4 ranking in the country among NCAA Division II schools in the Collegiate Power Rankings that are published by the National College Scouting Association. Furthermore, Stonehill finished 65th in the overall NCSA Top 100 Power Rankings across all three NCAA divisions. The Sally Blair Ames Sports Complex is home to the College staff that sponsors eight intercollegiate club teams featuring Ultimate Frisbee, Rugby, Lacrosse and Golf as well as an extensive intramural sports program offering Basketball, Soccer, Floor Hockey and Flag Football.
In late 2002, The Strategic Planning Committee determined that the then-current Stonehill College mascot, the chieftain, was politically incorrect as it was reportedly disrespectful to American Indians , though the name Chieftain also has connections to the large Irish American population of the school, and decided that it would be changed. The committee ruled that a new mascot be named as the institution's athletic identity. Therefore, in the following year the college held open forums in which students, alumni, and faculty were asked to submit ideas for the new identity, vote on suggestions, and gauge popularity. Among popular choices were The Stonehill Summit, The Stonehill Skyhawks, The Stonehill Saints, The Stonehill Wolfpack, The Stonehill Crusaders, The Stonehill Mission, The Stonehill Shovelmakers, and The Stonehill Blizzard.
During the fall semester of the 2005 academic year Stonehill College officially changed the name of its athletic teams to the "Stonehill Skyhawks," with a brand new mascot known as 'Ace', an anthropomorphic purple hawk wearing a scarf, goggles, bomber jacket, and an aviator cap. The actual name 'Skyhawks' is not a reference to either a bird or animal. After the school's property was bought by the Congregation of Holy Cross, the airfield was leased to the Navy during World War II and private companies before and after the war until it was closed in 1955 due to increasing student enrollment. The Navy used the field for training exercises and would employ the Skyhawk aircraft between 1954-1995.