|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Tanay Municipal Hall
|Nickname(s): Tourism Capital of Rizal/Home of Summer Resort of the Philippines|
Map of Rizal showing the location of Tanay
|Region||CALABARZON (Region IV-A)|
|District||2nd District of Rizal|
|• Mayor||Rex Manuel C. Tanjuatco|
|• Total||200.00 km2 (77.22 sq mi)|
|• Density||490/km2 (1,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
Tanay is a first class municipality in the province of Rizal, Philippines. It is located 57 kilometres (35 mi) east of Manila, although a typical commute between Manila and Tanay will take between one and three hours depending upon traffic conditions. It contains portions of the Sierra Madre Mountains and is bordered by Antipolo City in the north-west, Baras, Morong and Teresa in the west, General Nakar (Quezon Province) in the east, and Pililla, Santa Maria (Laguna province) as well as the lake Laguna de Bay in the south.
According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 98,879 people.
Tanay with its Barangays in Poblacion, celebrated its Fiesta every 22nd, 23rd, and 24th of January commemorating the town's patron, Saint Ildephonsus of Toledo and Our Lady of Guadalupe. Events like Amateur Singing Contest, Serenata, Band Drill Jamboree, prestigious pageants like Mr.Pogi and Miss Gay Exceptionals, are held in this season.
Tanay was settled by early Austronesian people. Shortly after the conquest and subjugation of Manila by the Spaniards and the surrounding lake areas by Juan de Salcedo in 1570-1574, Franciscan missionaries arrived to Christianize the inhabitants of what is now the Morong-Pililla area. In 1583, both Morong and Pililla were created as separate towns with Tanay forming part of Pililla.
Tanay was founded as a separate pueblo (town) in 1606 under the name "Monte de Tan-ay". In 1620, administration was moved to San Antonio (now called Inalsan or Pantay) and Tandang Kutyo. In 1638, the town was burned during an uprising of Chinese living in the area, and the town was rebuilt in 1640 at the present day location.
In 1747, the town of Tanay consisted of only eight barangays, namely Nuestra Senora del Rosario, Sa Josep, San Ildefonso de Tanay, San Francisco de Maytubig, San Pedro de Alcantara, San Lucas y San Antonio, San Apostol and San Agustin de Balugbog.
In 1853, a new political subdivision was formed. The town of Tanay together with Morong, Baras, Pililla, Angono, Binangonan and Jalajala form the Province of La Laguna, with the capital at Morong. This district was later changed to Distrito Politico-Militar de Morong after four years.
Tanay became a Municipality in 1894 as an effect of the Spanish Maura Law. The first election of Public Office took place in 1895–1898 and 1898–1900 under the Revolutionary Government of the Philippines.
Tanay members of the Katipunan fought valiantly during the Revolution against Spain. The town was the headquarters of the second military area of the Philippine Revolutionary Government under General Emilio Aguinaldo. And for a brief period between 1899 and 1900, Tanay served as the capital of the then Morong Province after Philippine–American War broke out and the American forces invaded the lake towns and captured Antipolo.
In 1900-1901, Tanay as was under the Government appointed by the American Military under Taft Commission. From 1903–1934 the town leadership was under the American rule then in 1934 Tanay was under the Commonwealth of the Philippines as the Tydings–McDuffie Act was approved on March 24, 1934 until the Philippines fell to the hands of the Japanese during the Second World War in 1942.
In 1942–1945 the Mountains of Tanay served as the Guerrilla base for 'Marking's Fil-American Guerrillas, beginning the Liberation of Tanay in March, 1945 a very decorated by the Filipino soldiers of the 41st and 42nd Division of the Philippine Commonwealth Army, 4th Regiment of the Philippine Constabulary and the recognized guerrillas against the Japanese occupation forces during World War II. Gen. Agustin Marking is buried in a private cemetery by the road overlooking his son's farm in Sampaloc.
In October 2003, deposed Philippine president Joseph Estrada was transferred to a rest home in Sampaloc, a mountain barangay. He remained under house arrest until he was given executive clemency by President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
During the Typhoon Ketsana (Ondoy) on September 26, 2009, Tanay was one of the hardest hit towns due to the rising of Laguna Lake and the flooding of Tanay River.
|Population census of Tanay|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
The majority of the population consists of Tagalogs who live near Laguna de Bay, though there is also a significant percentage of mountain dwelling people living in the northern portions of the municipality. The town's major trades consist of fishing, agriculture and regional commerce.
Most of the residents are Roman Catholic which consists of 50,126.
Roman Catholic: - a total 58% of the town's population.
Other Christian Denomination - comprises 38%.
Other known Religion - comprises 4%
|Position||Name||Political Party||Gather Votes|
|Mayor||Rex Manual Tanjuatco||LIBERAL PARTY||30 921|
|Vice-Mayor||Jaime "Jimmy" Vista||LAKAS/KAMPI/LP||24 989|
|Councilor||Allan Sacramento||NPC||26, 665|
|Councilor||Ricardo"Boboy" Bernados||LAKAS||22, 488|
|Councilor||Rommel "Ram" Magwili||LP||23, 526|
|Councilor||Luis "GO GO GO" Catolos||NPC||19 385|
|Councilor||Ivan Tongohan||UNA||19, 312|
|Councilor||Santos"Boy" Pagalunan-Santos||LP||18 439|
|Councilor||Rading Jucp||LP||16, 579|
|Councilor||Rafael Reyes||LP||15 772|
The Municipal Council approved the P80+ million budget for the construction of the new municipal building of Tanay. The lending company will be the Landbank of the Philippines, Tanay Branch. Certain issues and debates from different sectors and influential names about the construction arrouses, and still now under public consultation and hearing.
The municipality also holds an annual festival named "HANE Festival". HANE (Pronounced /Ha-Ne/, not /heyn/) comes from the Tanayan term of saying OK or please ("Galingan mo, Hane?" roughly translates to "Do a great job, OK?"). The festival began on the year 2011.
The festival starts on November 12, which is also the anniversary date of the San Ildefonso Parish, the town's local Parish. The festival ends on November 20.
The festival aims to present the beauty of Tanay, and all the natural and man-made wonders that can be visited in the area. Street Parades, Contests happen within the Tanay Park every day in the duration of the festival.
To promote and market the town’s cattle and agri-eco tourism not only within the municipality but also in the CALABARZON region, the Municipal Government of Tanay holds Tanay Rodeo every third week of January each year. The festival is also in line with the celebration of Tanay Town Fiesta. It is participated by professionals and rodeo enthusiasts, and veterinary/animal science students from renowned universities in the country.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tanay, Rizal.|
|General Nakar, Quezon|
|Laguna de Bay||Pililla / Santa Maria, Laguna||Real, Quezon|