The Sherman is a historically significant apartment building located at 2501 North 16th Street in the Near North Side of Omaha, Nebraska. Built in 1897, it was designated an Omaha landmark in 1985; in 1986 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Sherman is a Neo-Classical Revival style apartment building, and according to the City of Omaha, was one of the first three apartment buildings constructed in Omaha. Named for Sherman Avenue, the former name of Omaha's North Sixteenth Street, today the three-story building is the oldest apartment building in the city. It has been in continuous use as an apartment since its construction.
George H. Payne, developer of the Sherman, was one of the eleven board of directors of Omaha’s 1898 Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition. The Sherman's classically-inspired design was undoubtedly influenced by the Expo, which was held in nearby Kountze Park.
See also