|Elevation||3 m (10 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||TN-92( TN-69 till Jun17,2015)|
|Sex ratio||1000 : 1018.58 ♂/♀|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Thoothukudi
Formerly with Tiruchendur
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Tiruchendur|
Tiruchendur (Tamil:திருச்செந்தூர்) is a panchayat town at the southern tip of India, in Thoothukudi district in the state of Tamil Nadu.Tiruchendur Murugan temple is one of the six abodes of Lord Muruga. (Arupadi Veedu)
Tiruchendur Murugan Temple is a Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Muruga Murugan and one of the Arupadaibveedu (Six Abodes of Murugan) of Lord Muruga. It is located in the district of Tuticorin, Tamil Nadu, on the Indian Ocean. Arid their forests are located in various suburban villages surrounding the town. These red soil forests are densely planted with palm trees, cashew plantations, and other crops typical of the region.
The town of Arumuganeri is approximately 8 kilometres (5.0 mi) from Thiruchendur.
Since Lord Muruga fought the battle with the Asura King Surapadman in this place, it was believed that after the war it had turned completely red with bloodshed because of the gory war. Thus this place was came to known as SENTHUR literally translating to 'Red Place'. As this place has served as the battleground for the Lord, it acquired the honorary prefix 'Thiru' and thus came to be known as Thiruchendur. Thiru means 'holy' or 'sacred' and is traditionally used in front of names in all parts of Tamil Nadu. It can be seen in the names of many other towns including Tiruchirappalli, Tiruppur and Tirunelveli.
As of the 2001 Indian census, Tiruchendur had a population of 29,330. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Tiruchendur has an average literacy rate of 79%, higher than the national average of 59.5%. Male literacy is 82%, and female literacy is 76%. In Tiruchendur, 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.
The town is well connected by rail and road. The nearby Tuticorin Airport is about40 kilometres (25 mi) from Tuticorin, 55 km (34 mi) from Tirunelveli, and 171 km (106 mi) from Madurai. Currently Spice Jet operates one inbound and outbound flight to Chennai. There are bus connections to Aruppukootai, Ettiyapuram, Tuticorin,kovilpatti,madurai and Tirunelveli. The town is connected to Tirunelveli by a broad-gauge train track, with a train station at Thiruchendur. An express train runs daily between Chennai Egmore Junction to Tiruchendur and it is named as Chendur express running via Villuppuram,Cuddalore,Chidambaram,Kumbakonam,Tanjavore,Tiruchy,Madurai and Tirunelveli.Passenger train services are also available between Tirunelveli and Tiruchendur 3 times a day.
St.Joseph matriculation school,Veerapandianpatnam.
An epic composed in the seventeenth century and known as Kapadapuram relates that Muruga killed Surapadman, a demon, in this place. Soorasamharam, a reenactment of the deed, is performed here, and Skanda Sashti is also celebrated in commemoration of the same event. Muruga created the Naazhi Kinaru using his spear.
Dutch pirates landed in Veerapandian Pattinam, near Thiruchendur, and captured the Portuguese church and the Thiruchendur temple in 1649. When the Dutch were ordered to leave the temple by Madurai Nayak King, they broke the granite statues and took away the Panchaloha idol of Arumuga Perumal to their ship. Suddenly, there was a heavy storm and rain. Afraid of this sudden development, the pirates tied the idol to a rope and dropped it into the sea. The storm immediately stopped.
Devotees in the town worried about the loss of the idol. Senthilaandavan appeared in a dream to Vadamaliyappa Pillai, an ardent devotee of Lord Muruga, and revealed the place in the sea where the idol had been abandoned. Vadamlaiyappa Pillai informed Athitha Nadar, who was a major sponsor of various services in the Thiruchendur temple. On Friday, 29 Thai, in the Kollam year 829 (1653 A.D.), Vadamlaiyappa Pillai and Athitha Nadar, aided by Pitchai Fernando, a Paravar fishermen of Alanthalai, travelled in a boat to the spot. A lemon was floating in the sea, and a Garuda was flying overhead. They dived in and retrieved the idol.
The great and noble abode of Lord Subrahmanyam measures 300 feet north to south and 214 feet east to west.
The principal entrance of this great temple faces south, and opens into the first temple prakāra. It is Sivili Mantapa. It is a series of four long corridors running around the still inner second prakāra flanked on either with the familiar rows of columns of yalis. The Sivili Mantapa produces a fine effect of symmetry and grandeur. This prakāra 292' 6" north to south and 190' east to west branches off both ways to the west and the east of this grand portal.
The western portion has a number of rooms where are lodged a few vahanam, and in another portion in the temple stores. On the opposite row is the shrine of Dakshinamurti. As the corner is reached there is a mantapa where the processional deities are given the festival alankara before starting out and when they return thereto after the processions. Here is also conducted the annual Tirukkalyānam for Valli on the Panguni Uttiram day.
Brahmothsavam in the month of Magha (February – March), Vasanthothsavam for 10 days in Chaitra (April – May), Visaka Visakam for 12 days in Vaisakha (May – June) and Skandha Sashti in Asvini (October – November) are celebrated in the temple. There are two Maha Utsavams called Aavanipperunthirunaal and Maasipperunthirunaal conducted and celebrated during Simharavi, in the Tamil month of Aavani (August–September) and Kumbharavi, in the Tamil month of Maasi (January–February). These 12-day festivals occur twice every year.
Naazhi Kinaru (a sacred well) is located 100 m south of the temple. Devotees are allowed to bathe by scooping out the water with a vessel, and the water in the well never dries up. Despite the temple's being on the seashore, the water is not salty.
Kallar vettu (கள்ளர் வெட்டு) is an annual festival held at the Karkuvel Iyyanar temple.
Dahsara festival is a 10-day celebration held annually at Kulasekara Pattinam.
Community participation is high for the 12-day Masi Thiruvizha festival at Thiruchendur. The Kayamozhi Athitha Nadarhal Arakattalai Mandahapadi committee organises functions on the sixth and seventh days of the festival.
On the tenth day of the festival, the presiding Lord of the Thiruchendur temple makes a special appearance in Thirunelveli Dakshinamara Nadar Sangam, in Sannidhi Street. Several lakh of people congregate for the Masi Thiruvizha. Several thousand devotees worship at the car festival of the Sri Subramaniawamy temple at Tiruchendur on Masi Magam day. The car festival, held at one of the six abodes of Lord Muruga, has been inaugurated by the Athitha Nadar clan for the past several centuries, including performing rituals like Pali-vidalai eridhal. Contributions for decorating the car during the festival are provided by the Athitha Nadars.
In the month of Ippasi, when the ritual for Lord Subramaniya's marriage is performed, Athitha Nadars perform the ritual for the groom side, offering Thirumangalyam and the wedding feast. The bride's side wedding feast is arranged by Nattathi Nadars the next day.
Vanathirupati in Punnai Nagar is a new temple located near Katchana vilai station, 20 km From Tiruchendur. the hotal saravanabavan is the part of that temple. Tamil month puratasi Saturday is special.
The Tiruchendur assembly constituency was part of the Tiruchendur (Lok Sabha constituency) until 2009. After dissolution of the Tiruchendur Loksabha constituency in May 2009, the constituency was aligned with the Tuticorin Loksabha constituency. The current MLA to Tamil Nadu assembly, elected by the General election 2011, is Anitha R. Radhakrishnan of Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam.
Before realignment, the Tiruchendur Lok Sabha constituency was composed of the following assembly segments:
In 2004, the electorate consisted of 10,31,362 people, 4,95,753 men and 5,35,609 women.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thiruchendur.|