||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (October 2011)|
|Career (United States)|
|Refit:||Razeed to a sloop-of-war, 1852|
|Fate:||Sold for merchant service, 1871
Converted to hotel 1900, burned 1922
|Length:||164 ft (50 m)|
|Beam:||41 ft (12 m)|
|Draft:||21 ft 6 in (6.55 m)|
|Complement:||489 officers and enlisted|
The second USS Macedonian, was a three-masted, wooden-hulled sailing frigate of the US Navy, carrying 36 guns. Rebuilt from the keel of the first Macedonian at Gosport (later Norfolk) Navy Yard, Portsmouth, Virginia beginning in 1832, the new Macedonian and was launched and placed in service in 1836, with Capt. Thomas ap Catesby Jones in command.
Macedonian was assigned to the West Indies Squadron to cruise in the West Indies and along the west coast of Africa from 1839 to 1847 as a continuing deterrent to Caribbean pirates.
By a joint resolution of Congress on 3 March 1847 Macedonian and sloop-of-war Jamestown were placed in civilian hands to carry food to Ireland during the Great Famine of the late 1840s. With a volunteer crew, Macedonian, Capt. George C. De Kay in command, departed New York on 15 June with 12,000 barrels of provisions for Ireland donated by private citizens of the United States, returning to Brooklyn Navy Yard some months later to resume Navy service.
In 1852 Macedonian docked at the Brooklyn Navy Yard to be razeed and converted to a sloop-of-war for the expedition to Japan, 1852 to 1854. Assigned to the East India Squadron under Commodore Matthew Perry, she, Capt. Joel Abbot in command, was one of the six American ships arrayed off Uraga, Japan, on 13 February 1854 during Perry's second visit to negotiate the opening of Japan to foreign trade. The Convention of Kanagawa signed at Yokohama on 31 March 1854 was a distinct naval feat in the diplomatic field. Commodore Perry had created such a show of force on his initial visit at Kurihama on 14 July 1853 that the Japanese began their turn to the West.
Macedonian remained on patrol in the North Pacific for the next three years. Then, from 1857 to 1861 she served with the Home Squadron in the Mediterranean and the Caribbean.
With the crisis of the American Civil War looming just ahead, the frigate departed Portsmouth, New Hampshire, for Pensacola, Florida, on 12 January 1861 to join Brooklyn in preventing a possible Confederate attack on the harbor. On 11 February Macedonian sailed for Veracruz, Mexico, arriving the 24th. She then began patrol operations along the Gulf coast and the coast of South America, with stops at Aspinwall (later Colón, Panama) and Portobelo, Panama; Martinique; and St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. On 3 December she got underway with Dacotah from St. Thomas for the east coast, arriving Boston Navy Yard on 16 January 1862. Macedonian spent most of the next two years with the West Indies Squadron. In July 1863 she cruised along the coast of Portugal with sloop-of-war Kearsarge hunting Confederate States Ship Southerner. It was around then that Alfred Thayer Mahan served aboard for a brief time.
From the end of that year through 1870, Macedonian served as school and practice ship for midshipmen at the United States Naval Academy, first at Newport, Rhode Island, then after the Civil War at Annapolis, Maryland. In 1871 she was laid up in ordinary at the Norfolk Navy Yard, where she was sold to Wiggin and Robinson for merchant service.
There is no record of Macedonian having actually sailed as a merchant ship, and the next reference to the ship, in 1900, mentions her as having been converted into the Macedonian Hotel at City Island, Bronx. The hotel was sold in 1912 and renamed the City Island Casino, but burned down on 9 June 1922. The naval origin of the Macedonian Hotel was mentioned in a Ripley's Believe It or Not item in 1983.
Here you can share your comments or contribute with more information, content, resources or links about this topic.