|United States Army
United States Army Chaplain Corps
|Active||29 July 1775 – present|
|Country||United States of America|
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Branch||United States Army|
|Motto||"Pro Deo et Patria"
(Latin: For God and Country)
|Engagements||American Revolutionary War
American Civil War
World War I
World War II
Somali Civil War
War in Afghanistan
|CCH||CH (MG) Donald L. Rutherford|
|DCCH||CH (BG) Charles R. Bailey|
|CH (COL) John T. Axton
CH (MG) William R. Arnold
CH (MG) Francis L. Sampson
CH (MG) Kermit D. Johnson
CH (MG) Patrick J. Hessian
CH (MG) Gaylord T. Gunhus
|Distinctive Unit Insignia|
The Chaplain Corps of the United States Army consists of ordained clergy who are commissioned Army officers as well as enlisted soldiers who serve as assistants. Their purpose is to offer religious services, counseling, and moral support to the armed forces, whether in peacetime or at war.
The U.S. Army Chaplain Center and School (USACHCS) is part of the Armed Forces Chaplaincy Center (AFCC), which also includes the Air Force Chaplain Service Institute (AFCSI) and the U.S. Naval Chaplaincy School and Center (NCSC). The three schools are co-located at Fort Jackson, in Columbia, S.C.
The purpose of the AFCC is to have closer cooperation among the three chaplain corps and to share instruction and training.
The U.S. Army Chaplain School was approved on 9 February 1918. Its first session began on 3 March 1918, at Fort Monroe, Virginia. Chaplain (MAJ) Aldred A. Pruden, who developed the plan for the school, was named the first commandant of the school. It subsequently moved to Camp Zachary Taylor (Kentucky), Camp Grant (Illinois), Fort Leavenworth (Kansas), Fort Benjamin Harrison (Indiana), Harvard University (Massachusetts), Fort Devens (Mass.), Fort Oglethorpe (Georgia), Carlisle Barracks (Pennsylvania), Fort Slocum (New York) (1951–62), Fort Hamilton (N.Y.) (1962–74), Fort Wadsworth (N.Y.) (1974–79), and Fort Monmouth (New Jersey) (1979–95).
Due to a revision of DA PAM 611-21 (Military Occupational Classification and Structure) Effective October 1st, 2013, Chaplain Candidates, previously belonging to the Staff Specialist Branch until ordination have worn the Staff Specialist insignia in lieu of religious denomination insignia. The transition from the Staff Specialist Branch to the Chaplain Branch left the candidates without an authorized branch insignia. Responding to the need, Chief of Chaplains Chaplain (Major General) Donald L. Rutherford submitted a request for collar insignia which was approved by HQDA, G-1 on 23 February 2012. The design for the collar insignia was authorized on 18 June 2012.
The Chief of Chaplains of the United States Army is the head of the Army Chaplaincy. The position was created to better organize the corps. The current Chief of Chaplains is Chaplain (Major General) Donald L. Rutherford who was sworn in on July 22, 2011.
The U.S. Army Chaplain Museum is located at Fort Jackson, South Carolina. It was established on 14 August 1957, at the then–United States Army Chaplain School at Fort Slocum, New York. It was dedicated on 10 February 1958, by Chaplain (MG) Patrick J. Ryan, Chief of Chaplains.
When the troop-transport ship USAT Dorchester was torpedoed during World War II, four Army chaplains ministered to the soldiers and sailors on the sinking ship, gave up their life jackets, and sacrificed their lives when the ship sank. Those chaplains – known as "The Four Chaplains" – were Lt. George L. Fox, Methodist; Lt. Alexander D. Goode, Jewish; Lt. John P. Washington, Roman Catholic; and Lt. Clark V. Poling, Dutch Reformed.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chaplain Corps (United States Army).|