|University of Agricultural Sciences|
Administrative building of the university, at Gandhi Krishi Vignana Kendra
|Chancellor||His Excellency H.R.Bharadwaj|
|Vice-Chancellor||K. Narayan Gowda|
|Location||Bangalore, Karnataka, India, India|
The rulers of Mysore kingdom (The Wodeyars) felt the need to establish research units in the field of agriculture and donated about 30 acres (120,000 m2) of land to set up an Experimental Agricultural Station at Hebbal, and appointed German scientist Lehmann to initiate research on soil crop response with Laboratory in the Directorate of Agriculture. Later in 1906, Leslie Coleman, a Canadian Entomologist and Mycologist succeeded Lehmann and served for 25 years.
What began on a 30-acre (120,000 m2) land in 1899 was soon extended to about 1,300 acres (5.3 km2). The increasing reputation of this experimental station as a training center led to the foundation of the Mysore Agricultural College at Hebbal in 1946 affiliated to the Mysore University. This was soon followed by the Agricultural College at Dharwad in 1947 which was then affiliated to Karnataka University. In 1958, veterinary science as a discipline was started with the establishment of the Veterinary College at Hebbal also affiliated to Mysore University.
With growing impetus given by the Indian Government for the agricultural sector, leading to what has been termed the Green Revolution, many agricultural universities were established throughout the country. The then Mysore State Government through its Act No. 22 passed in 1963 provided for the creation of the University of Agricultural Sciences. The university came into existence on August 21, 1964 with operational jurisdiction over the entire state of Karnataka.
The UAS was inaugurated on August 21, 1964 by Vice President of India Zakir Hussain in the presence of Chester Bowles, United States Ambassador to India and S. Nijalingappa, Chief Minister of Karnataka. On 12 July 1969, Prime Minister Indira Gandhi inaugurated GKVK campus.
The university included the agricultural colleges at Hebbal and Dharwad, Veterinary College at Hebbal and 35 research stations located in different parts of the state along with 45 ICAR projects which were with the State Department of Agriculture, Horticulture, Animal Husbandry and Fisheries. Kullal Chickappu Naik was the first Vice Chancellor of this new university.
Later on the Marine Product Processing Training Centre (MPPTC) at Mangalore and Krishi Vignana Kendra, Hanumanamatti, Dharwad district were also transferred to the university.
The university established the Fisheries College at Mangalore in 1969 to provide degree level training and the Agricultural Engineering Institute at Raichur in the same year to offer a three year diploma course in Agricultural Engineering. The Home Science College was started to impart education on rural based home science at Dharwad campus in 1974, besides establishing a College of Basic Sciences and Humanities and College of Post Graduate Studies at Hebbal.
The phenomenal growth of the university, the differences in agroclimate in the parts of the state, led to the bifurcation of the university into two agricultural universities. An amendment to the University of Agricultural Sciences Act in 1986 saw the birth of the second university for agriculture in the state. The University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore was entrusted territorial jurisdiction over 15 southern districts of Karnataka comprising nearly fifty percent of the total area of the state, while the University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, was given jurisdiction over the remaining area in the northern districts of the state.
In 2005, with the needed to provide better autonomy to the veterinary education and research in the state, the Veterinary and Animal sciences faculty was bifurcated form both the Universities of Agricultural Sciences - Bangalore and Dharwad and placed under the single university - Karnataka Veterinary, Animal and Fisheries Sciences University with its headquarters in the northern district of Karnataka, Bidar by the passing of the Karnataka Veterinary, Animal and Fisheries Sciences University Bill, 2004 in the Legislative Assembly on February 10, 2004.
The University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore currently has administrative headquarters at the Gandhi Krishi Vignana Kendra (GKVK) on the Bangalore-Hyderabad Highway.
It has the following colleges:
In 2001, the university was recognised as the best agricultural university in India by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research for which it was conferred the Sardar Patel Outstanding ICAR Institution Award for excellence in teaching, research and extension. In 2008, UAS was ranked third among state agriculture universities.
in 2012,the university was recognised as the best agricultural university in India by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research for which it was conferred the Sardar Patel Outstanding ICAR Institution Award for excellence in teaching, research and extension.
The university had two-degree programmes covering broadly agriculture and veterinary disciplines. Over the years, attempts have been made to diversify agricultural education by starting specialized undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes in various branches of agricultural sciences.
Presently the university offers nine-degree programmes covering Agriculture, Veterinary, Fisheries, Horticulture, Dairy Sciences, Agricultural Marketing and Co-operation, Forestry, Sericulture and Agriculture Engineering disciplines and Masters degree programmes in 47 disciplines and Ph.D. programmes in 34 disciplines.
The Present board is chaired by Vice-Chancellor, K. Narayana Gowda.
M R Jaishankar, Promoter & MD, Brigade Enterprises Ltd
Dr G Parameshwar, KPCC, President
Dr G Parameshwar, KPCC, President
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore.|