|Location||Oshkosh, Wisconsin, U.S.
|Campus||Urban, 173.5 acres (70 ha)|
The University of Wisconsin–Oshkosh (also known as UW Oshkosh) is a public university in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, United States. Part of the University of Wisconsin System, it offers bachelor, master, and doctoral degrees. The University of Wisconsin–Oshkosh is the third-largest university in Wisconsin.
The university was renamed Oshkosh State Teachers College in 1927, Wisconsin State College–Oshkosh in 1951, and Wisconsin State University–Oshkosh in 1964. It became part of the University of Wisconsin System in 1971 and gained its current name.
Until the 1960s the Oshkosh student body was almost exclusively white. In 1968, when students protested against the lack of black faculty and black-oriented courses, the university expelled 94 students, mostly black, after using baton-wielding riot police to arrest them. The events were marked in a campus exhibit in 2008–09. The administration at the time has been described as "conservative, paternalistic" and "ruled by elderly white males in the twilight of their careers".
The university has been expanding in capacity and infrastructure. Student population and campus changed little through the 1980s and 1990s. Since 2005, the institution has undertaken several green building projects and a Growth Agenda for new programs, faculty hiring and increased student population.
In 2007, the Student Recreation and Wellness Center added a student-funded facility to the university waterfront, which garnered an Innovative Architecture and Design award from Recreation Management Magazine.
In 2010, the campus opened a refurbished dining hall as its new Student Success Center. The building consolidated student services into a single location. It is designed to be one of the most energy efficient buildings in the state, with a geothermal ground source heating system installed beneath a nearby parking lot.
The campus has three major buildings under construction in 2010.[needs update] A new academic building (Sage Hall), the first since 1971, will house the College of Business and allied departments from the College of Letters and Science, including Psychology, Geography, and Environmental Studies. It is designed to use less than half the energy of similar buildings on campus, and to generate 10% of its energy from renewable technologies. A new residence hall (Horizon Village) will replace three older buildings to provide suite-style accommodations. The building's green features include geothermal and solar technologies. The third facility is the first commercial-scale dry fermentation anaerobic biodigester in the Americas, a waste-to-energy plant that will produce up to 10% of the campus electricity and heat.
UW-Oshkosh is the second-largest purchaser of renewable energy in Wisconsin, and ranks 23rd among U.S. colleges and universities in renewable energy use.
Since 2003 the men's club volleyball team has finished in the top five every year except 2008 at the National Intramural Recreational Sports Association (NIRSA) championships. In 2005, the team finished second, and first in 2006, 2007 and 2011. The small Division 3 team won back to back NCVF Division 1 men's club volleyball national championships in 2014 and 2015.
The baseball program appeared in 5 Division III championship games between 1985 and 1994. There have been eight Titans players to play in Major League Baseball: Jim Magnuson, Dan Neumeier, Jim Gantner, Dorian "Doe" Boyland, Gary Varsho, Terry Jorgensen, Jarrod Washburn, and Jack Taschner.
In 2012, the UW Oshkosh Titans football team had its best season in program history. The Titans advanced to the NCAA Division III Semi-finals before falling to St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minnesota. The Titans finished with a 13-1 (7-0 WIAC) record and as the #4 team by d3football.com. Nate Wara was selected as a first team all-American at the quarterback position, he is the first Titan football player to achieve all-American status. Head coach Pat Cerroni was named 2012 CaptainU Coach of the Year, and was a finalist for the Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year. Assistant Head Coach John O'Grady was named the 2012 NCAA Division III Coordinator of the Year by FootballScoop.
The women's basketball program played in the NCAA Division III Women's Basketball Championship every year from 1990–1992, and again from 1994-2000. In 1995, they reached the Final Four, and the following year, won the tournament entirely.
The women's gymnastics program won the AIAW Championship for Division III in 1980, the NAIA national women's gymnastics championship in 1986, and National Collegiate Gymnastics Association championships in 1989 and 2007.
The men's gymnastics program won NAIA gymnastics championships under Titans Hall of Fame coach Ken Allen in 1973, 1974, and then 5 straight years from 1978 to 1982. In addition, they won the NCAA Men's Gymnastics championship in Division II in 1980, 1981, and 1982, before the two divisions were merged in 1984.
The women's track and field team has won the Division III outdoor championship in 1990, 1991, 1995, 1996, 2004, 2006, 2007, and 2011. They won the Division III indoor championship in 1994, 1996, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2011, and 2013. The Titans finished as runners-up in the 1989, 1992, 1999, 2005, 2009, 2010 and 2012 at the Division III outdoor championships, and finished as runners-up in the 1990, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2010 and 2012 at the Division III indoor championships.
The women's cross country team won the NCAA Division III Championship in 1987, 1988, 1991, and 1996, and were runners-up in 1989, 1990, and 1995.
The men's track and field team won both the Division III Indoor and Outdoor Championships in 2009 and were runners-up in the NCAA Division III Indoor Track and Field meet in 1999, 2001, 2003 and 2013.
The men's cross country team won the NCAA Division III Championship in 1988, 1989, 1990, and 2002.
The women's softball program went to the World Series in 1988. They also made NCAA tournament appearances in 2007 and 2008 coming up one game short of the World Series after losing the regional championship game to conference rival Wisconsin-Eau Claire. Since Cindy Suess took over the program in 2005, the Titans have won an average of 27 games per season and have yet to record a losing season.
The main on-campus sports facility is Kolf Sports Center, which contains facilities for basketball, indoor track, and volleyball. Other events held there include commencement ceremonies, concerts, and regional conventions. Both Titan Stadium (the football/soccer/outdoor track venue) and Tiedemann Field (the baseball/softball field) are located across the Fox River, 1.3 miles from campus. A recent multimillion-dollar renovation was completed with support of the Oshkosh community. The best attended sporting events at Titan Stadium are for the two Oshkosh public high school football teams that use it as their home field.
Fraternities (As of Spring 2016) and Sororities (As of Spring 2013)
The school's newspaper is the Advance-Titan. The school has a radio station, WRST-FM 90.3 which is located in the Arts & Communications building. The call letters stand for "Radio Station of the Titans." The station carries Wisconsin Public Radio and student programming.
The school's student-media outlets produce young sports writing and broadcasting talent. Titan TV, the school's television channel, for a while was the only NCAA Division III school to telecast all home football and men's and women's basketball games complete with live pre-game, halftime, and post-game shows.
Three locations on the campus have been listed on Registered Historic Places.
Oshkosh State Normal School Historic District
|Location||Buildings at 800, 842, and 912 Algoma Blvd., and 845 Elmwood Ave., Oshkosh, Wisconsin|
|Area||9 acres (3.6 ha)|
|Architectural style||Gothic, Other, Collegiate Gothic|
|NRHP Reference #||84000722|
|Added to NRHP||December 6, 1984|
Three buildings on the original campus comprise this historic district. Dempsey Hall serves as the administration center of the campus. Harrington Hall hosts geology classes. Swart Hall, completed in 1928, is used by the mathematics, social work, and sociology departments and houses the Center for Economic Education. It was originally used as a lab school where student teachers taught kindergarten through ninth grade students.
|Location||842 Algoma Blvd., Oshkosh, Wisconsin|
|Area||1.2 acres (0.49 ha)|
|Architectural style||Late Victorian|
|NRHP Reference #||79000121|
|Added to NRHP||August 27, 1979|
Moses Hooper moved to Oshkosh in 1863, and started construction of the house in 1882. It was located at the north edge of the Wisconsin State Normal School at Oshkosh. It cost approximately $20,000 to build. Hooper moved into his new residence on October 31, 1883. The structure had modern amenities including hot water heat and running water. The interior was painted by local painters Frank Waldo and Gustav Behncke. The house was sold on September 20, 1900 to Dr. Charles W. Oviatt, a surgeon who paid $18,000 for the property. After Oviatt's death in 1912, his heirs sold the house and grounds to the State Normal School Regents in 1913 with the agreement that the heirs could live in the house until June 1914.
The house was first used by the school as a women's dormitory, the first on campus. Because the dormitory operated at a loss, school president Polk discontinued the venture in 1932. After considering dismantling the building, Polk started renting the house from the school in 1934. The following three presidents of the school also resided in the house, ending with President Penson in 1989. The University of Wisconsin–Oshkosh Foundation moved its office in the house the following year.
The Oviatt House was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
Pollock, William E., Residence
Pollock Alumni House
|Location||765 Algoma Blvd., Oshkosh, Wisconsin|
|Area||less than one acre|
|Architectural style||Other, Mission/spanish Revival, Spanish-Mediterranean|
|NRHP Reference #||84000728|
|Added to NRHP||December 6, 1984|
William E. Pollock managed OshKosh B'Gosh. He had Fluor Brothers construction company build the house in 1920 for $19,000. The yard included a three-car garage, garden, and fishing pond. Pollock lived in the house from 1920 until 1937. He sold the house on a land contract, but the house was returned to him after the contract was unfulfilled. Pollock then donated the house to the Oshkosh State Teachers College in 1943.
The college turned the residence into a women's dormitory which could house up to 32 co-eds. In the 1960s it was used as an honors dormitory until closing in 1967. From 1967 until 1970 it housed the College of Nursing offices. When the College of Nursing was relocated to a new building, the structure was taken over by the Alumni Association, who have occupied it since 1970. It is occasionally used for special functions. Notable visitors have included President Jimmy Carter, United Nations ambassador Jeane Kirkpatrick, and Edward Albee.
The house is designed as a Mediterranean Revival style house with Italian and Spanish motif. The entrance has an ornate semi-circular wrought iron door leading into a large foyer. The front entry hall opens into a large living room and a smaller parlor. A formal staircase rises to an open landing and to a study. The second story bedrooms are used as offices for Alumni and Foundation staff. The rear consists of a formal dining room, kitchen, and pantry. The building has three chimneys capped with campaniles that resemble Italian bell towers. The residence's exterior is framed by concrete planters and topped by a wrought iron balcony outside of the second floor French windows. The roof is low-pitched red-barrel tile.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to University of Wisconsin–Oshkosh.|