|Launched||25 January 1993|
|Owned by||RTL Group (49.9%)
RTL Television (49.8%)
|Picture format||576i (16:9 SDTV)
|Audience share||5.1% (July 2017KEK),|
VOX CH (Switzerland)
|Sister channel(s)||RTL Television
|DVB-T2||Various; region dependent (HD / encrypted)|
|Kabel Deutschland (Germany)||Channel 106 (SD) / Channel 117 (HD)|
|UPC Switzerland (Switzerland)||Channel 21 (HD)|
|Telekom Entertain (Germany)||Channel 6 (SD/HD)|
VOX or Vox is a German television channel, headquartered in Cologne and part of the RTL Group, Europe's second largest TV, radio, and production company. The channel officially launched at 5:00pm on January 25, 1993. Prior to that, test transmissions had been made using the informal name Westschienenkanal (West slot channel, a reference to Nordschienenkanal and Südschienenkanal, the informal names used in the 1980s for the other two German private channels RTL and Sat.1). The channel mainly broadcasts documentaries and US series and movies.
VOX started transmitting on January 25, 1993. It competed with public television by broadcasting many live and informational programmes. The channel was originally owned by an assortment of German media companies:
The director of programming at launch was Ruprecht Eser. One year after the channel's launch it seemed clear that the original programme concept would not work. Market share among the target group relevant for advertisers was at 1.5%, too low to attract much advertising. VOX took significant losses. By February 1994, all the original partners except UFA and DCTP sold their stakes. As a result of the losses, the quality of programmes began to decline. VOX had to repeat its movies every few weeks to fill the schedule. On April 1, 1994, VOX went into liquidation. More than 250 employees were laid off.
VOX's logo consists of the letters V and X, with a red circle "eye" using negative space to create the O.
By November 1994 VOX had new owners:
Gradually, VOX gained a foothold in the German television landscape. In 1998, VOX signed an output deal with 20th Century Fox, leading to more series and movies being broadcast alongside magazine-style shows. In December 1999, RTL Television bought out News Corporation. A short time later, canal+ sold its share to UFA (Bertelsmann AG). 99.7% of the channel now belonged to RTL Group, with the remaining 0.3% held by DCTP.
Now, VOX is the most successful private television station of the so-called "second generation". The channel had so much success with series such as CSI and CSI: Miami that they were transferred to the more widely watched sister channel RTL Television. CSI: NY gets a market share of up to 21% on VOX.
Audience share in March 2008 was 5.4%, with share amongst 14- to 49-year-olds at 7.4%. In the 2011/12 television season VOX had a 5.6% share of all viewers, making it the 6th most watched channel, and 7.4% among viewers aged 14–49, making it the fourth most watched channel by that demographic.
The average age of the viewers is 48.6 years (as of 2016).
None of the audio/visual content is hosted on this site. All media is embedded from other sites such as GoogleVideo, Wikipedia, YouTube etc. Therefore, this site has no control over the copyright issues of the streaming media.
All issues concerning copyright violations should be aimed at the sites hosting the material. This site does not host any of the streaming media and the owner has not uploaded any of the material to the video hosting servers. Anyone can find the same content on Google Video or YouTube by themselves.
The owner of this site cannot know which documentaries are in public domain, which has been uploaded to e.g. YouTube by the owner and which has been uploaded without permission. The copyright owner must contact the source if he wants his material off the Internet completely.