|— Barrio —|
|Autonomous City||Buenos Aires|
|• Total||3.7 km2 (1.4 sq mi)|
|• Density||11,000/km2 ( 28,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||ART (UTC-3)|
Villa Pueyrredón is a neighbourhood of Buenos Aires, capital of Argentina. It is located between the neighbourhoods of Villa Urquiza, Villa Devoto, and Agronomía. Its limits are the streets and avenues Constituyentes, Del Carril, and Gral Paz. It is a middle class- residential neighbourhood of great size with streets in draught-board, and surrounded by high amount of squares and parks. The General Mitre Railway links Villa Pueyrredon with Retiro railway station in Buenos Aires CBD.
The district's name comes from a station of the Central Argentine Railway (today part of the Mitre Line) called "km 14," and in 1907, received the name of "Pueyrredón" in honor to the illustrious Brigadier Juan Martín de Pueyrredón. Since the railroad provided the ares with its main transport connections, the station became the neighborhood's official namesake; "Villa Pueyrredón" was thus established in 1923.
The population in this neighbourhood was established by European settlers, principally Italian and Spanish families, as well as Lebanese families, all of whom arrived in the late 19th and early 20th centuries to be employed at the "great railway project" (the most important in Latin America). The large number and variety of small businesses established by these communities gave the neighbourhood a very particular and ethnically diverse physiognomy.
This neighbourhood has several green spaces, being Leandro N. Alem Square the oldest, since it was inaugurated on May 25, 1921. Alem Square is located between Larsen, Artigas, Zamudio, and Cochrane Streets.
The General Eduardo Lonardi Square has a very irregular tracing, measuring 1.15 hectares (2.8 acres). It is located between the avenues and streets Obispo San Alberto; Ladines; Jose L. Cabezón ; Gral. José G. de Artigas; and the tracks of the Mitre Railroad. It has an important decorative fountain, with format of staggered pyramid, with interesting game of lights.
The Club Cultural y Deportivo 17 de Agosto is located in the street of Albarellos and its foundation dates back of the year 1949. It is the most important club of the neighbourhood and nowadays takes part in the First Division of Futsal's Championship (Argentine) AFA, that is to say the highest national category of Argentine football.
The foundation of Club Social Pueyrredón dates back to June 1, 1927, it is located in 5540 Condarco St. The Social, Cultural and Sports Club Gloria was founded on September 16, 1936. First it was located in Gabriela Mistral street and it changed to 4970 Caracas St.
Here you can share your comments or contribute with more information, content, resources or links about this topic.