In 1987-10-01 it was registered by English Heritage on the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England. It is some 28 acres (110,000 m2) in size. Within its boundaries are the Pitzhanger Manor museum & art gallery and Perceval Lodge. These buildings and part of the boundary wall are also statutory protected structures of Grade I and Grade II respectively.
There is also a late Victorian ornamental lake bordering the House's rear lawn and further west a pond which has a pair of fountains, both of which attract water fowl.
The land for the park and Pitizhanger Manor itself, was acquired by the council in 1899 from Sir Spencer Walpole, which in turn had been bought by his father the Rt. Hon. Spencer Horatio Walpole. The sum paid was £40,000. It was opened to the public for the first time on 1 May 1901.
The original house which stood here, and its grounds which make up the present park, was once the property of John Soane the architect, who bought it in 1800. After several more changes of ownership it was purchased by the Urban District Council of Ealing in 1900. The Borough surveyor Charles Jones who negotiated the terms of the sale with his close friend Sir Walpole also went on to set out the design of tree lined avenues, paths and flower beds. The outer path is nearly a mile in circumference. The sides of the pond nearest Pitzhanger Manor was planted with plants and shrubs.
Soane's house then became the borough's central public lending library. The library vacated the site in 1984. Work then began on researching the building to discover the original décor and renovating it back to how it had been in Soane's day. A library extension that had been built on the north-side was converted into the present day art gallery.
At the end of the 1980s some restoration work was done to recreate some of the original layout by Soane of the garden, which he had done with the help of John Haverfield.
Most of the park consists of open flat grassed areas boarded with tree lined avenues which act as wind brakes. Of the two ponds, the western most is the larger of the two and is more formal. It also features a fountain. The pond nearest to Pitzhanger Manor on the eastward side of the park has sunken sides, these have been planted with a mixture of ornamental shrubs and bushes. The pond itself has been made to look as though it is a small gently flowing brook. A contemporary drawing of the manor house in the museum suggests that, at the time of Soane, this pond was much deeper. It was from its sides, that John Soane and his friend William Turner (the artist) would sit and fish. As the grounds to the west were pastoral it is quite possible that this pond was constructed as a Ha-ha against cattle and sheep. The bridge at the north end as did the pond was in existence before Soane bought the property but he had it decorated to give it an appearance of great antiquity, no doubt to match his faux Roman ruins which he built just to the north of his house. It is a listed Grade II* structure.
Along the north perimeter wall, is a large stone bench. This also has a statutory protection of Grade II listing.
Perceval Lodge, which has already been mentioned, is used as an arts and crafts centre.
Each year in the summer months the park is an al fresco venue to the:
By Rail: Nearest National Rail station is Ealing Broadway, which is also connected by both the Central Line and the District Line of London Underground. South Ealing tube station is the closest on the Piccadilly Line.
Buy bus: No. 65 to Ealing Green; or 83, 112, 207, 297, 427, 607, E1, E2, E7, E8, E9, E10, E11 to Ealing Broadway, then stroll 3 minutes south-west.
By Car: Nearest car parks are at the Ealing Broadway Centre, (access via the Grove, from Ealing Green) or at Springbridge Road, (access via the New Broadway).
Entrance is free to both the House, Gallery and Park.
Here you can share your comments or contribute with more information, content, resources or links about this topic.