Location of Wapping in Greater London
|Local authority||London Borough of Tower Hamlets|
|Managed by||London Overground|
|Owner||Transport for London|
|Number of platforms||2|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|1869||Opened as Wapping and Shadwell|
|1884||First Underground service|
|27 April 2010||Reopened|
|Lists of stations|
| London Transport portal
UK Railways portal
Wapping is a station on the East London Line located on the northern bank of the River Thames in Wapping within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. The station is served by National Rail London Overground services under the control of the London Rail division of Transport for London, however there is no standard red National Rail "double arrow" logo signage located at the station, instead only the Overground roundel. The station is between Shadwell and Rotherhithe, and is in Travelcard Zone 2.[note 1]
After recent temporary closures for remodelling, the station reopened for preview services on 27 April 2010 for services to New Cross and New Cross Gate, and from 23 May 2010 trains to and from New Cross Gate were extended to West Croydon / Crystal Palace.
The station occupies the north end of the former Thames foot tunnel built by Marc Isambard Brunel between 1825 and 1843, and subsequently adapted for railway traffic. Access to the station is by lift or a flight of stairs built into one of the original access shafts of the Thames Tunnel.[note 2]
The station was originally opened as the northern terminus of the East London Railway[note 3] on 7 December 1869 as Wapping and Shadwell, and the station was renamed Wapping on 10 April 1876,[note 4] when the line was extended northwards to Liverpool Street,[note 3] via a new station at Shadwell. The earliest trains were provided by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway, whose system connected with the line at New Cross Gate.[note 3]
Underground trains of the Metropolitan and the District Railways first served the station on 1 October 1884,[note 5] but the station was last served by District trains on 31 July 1905.[note 5][note 6]
The station was extensively remodelled between 1995 and 1998, when the entire East London Line—including Wapping station—was closed due to repair work on the tunnels under the Thames. Vitreous enamel panels by Nick Hardcastle, showing the station and the area in former and modern times, were installed on the platforms.
The East London Line closed on 22 December 2007, and reopened on 27 April 2010 when it became part of the new London Overground system. During this time the station was heavily refurbished.
The proposed extension of the East London Line raised concerns that the station would have to be closed due to its platforms being too short (only four cars long) to accommodate the new rolling stock planned for the extended line (which could be six or eight cars long). The narrowness of the platforms was also a concern. The station does not fully meet the safety standards for an underground station but is permitted to operate under a derogation from Her Majesty's Railway Inspectorate. Despite this, on 16 August 2004 then-Mayor of London Ken Livingstone announced that the station would remain open.
London Overground East London Line
All times below are correct as of the December 2010 timetables.
On Mondays to Saturdays there is a service every 5–10 minutes throughout the day, while on Sundays before 13:00 there is a service every 5–9 minutes, changing to every 7–8 minutes until the end of service after that. Current off peak frequency is:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wapping railway station.|
|Preceding station||London Overground||Following station|
|East London Line|
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|
towards New Cross Gate
|East London line